Skip to main content

Naoko Takahashi's Statement From Her Retirement Press Conference

http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20081028-00000509-sanspo-spo
and NHK 6:00 News broadcast, 10/28/08

translated and edited by Brett Larner

On the afternoon of Oct. 28, Sydney Olympic marathon gold medalist and former world record holder Takahashi gave a press conference at Tokyo's Grand Prince Hotel to announce her retirement. A portion of Takahashi's statement follows.
"Hello, I am Naoko Takahashi. I planned to run the Tokyo, Nagoya and Osaka International Women's Marathons but have to give it up. To the fans, staff and sponsors who supported me I offer my sincerest apologies. I had this goal to run these three races as a thank you or goodbye to everyone but now I find that I've spent everything my body has, that I've done all I can and am left with just a peaceful feeling. It's not that something happened, I just can't do the kind of training I need in order to stand in front of you all as the Pro Naoko Takahashi, the kind of running I can be proud of, anymore. I don't want to just show up and run badly anymore either. The years when I won the Olympics and set the world record were
like a typhoon, and now the typhoon has passed and there is just a gentle breeze blowing. I love running and will keep going into my 50's and 60's, but from now on it'll be as the 'Jogger' Naoko Takahashi."

Asked whether leaving her coach Yoshio Koide at her peak had been a mistake, Takahashi replied, "It wasn't that big a deal. I thought about retiring when I left him, but I would have retired earlier if I hadn't left."

Comments

Anonymous said…
Esta noticia es una decepcion , es muy triste ver que Naoko Takahashi ,se retire de esta forma acabada , y no triunfal , por que?? retirarse , podria haber esperado hasta nagoya en marzo de 2009 y llegar en mejor forma, saltandose Tokio y Osaka , o correr Londres o bOSTON, ES MUY TRISTE LA NOTICIA , PIENSO QUE ELLA ESTA SOMETIDA A UNA GRAN PRESIÓN , DEBERIA EJECUTAR UN MARATON MÁS Y GANARLO y entonces retirarse.
Q-CHAN AUN PUEDE GANAR.
Marcoshashi CHILE

Most-Read This Week

Endo, Nishikawa and Yamakawa Announce Corporate Team Changes

The SG Holdings men's corporate team announced on Oct. 1 that long-distance athletes Hyuga Endo and Yuichiro Nishikawa have joined its roster after leaving the Sumitomo Denko team. Endo, 28, won the Junior Olympics 3000 m while at Koriyama Nishi J.H.S. before going on to Gakuho Ishikawa H.S. where he was the the top Japanese placer in the 5000 m at the National High School Championships 2 years in a row. After graduating from Gakuho Ishikawa he joined the Sumitomo Denko team, winning the National Championships 5000 m in 2021. He won gold at the 2023 Asian Championships and represented Japan at the 2022 and 2023 World Championships. "I will give everything I have as part of the team and work hard toward helping it win the New Year Ekiden," he said of his new environment. Of his personal goals he said, "I want to focus on the 5000 m and reach new levels to compete internationally." Nishikawa, 28, was a member of Tokai University 's winning teams at the H...

3 Athletes Provisionally Suspended After Positive Drug Tests at Asian Games (updated)

The International Testing Agency announced on Oct. 2 that provisional suspensions have been imposed on two athletes, Kazakhstan's Aiana Bolatbekkyzy in track and field, and Tajikistan's Issamjon Sharifov in tennis, after they tested positive for prohibited substances at the Asian Games in Nagoya, Aichi. Bolatbekkyzy, 19, tested positive for the steroid drostanolone in a sample collected during an in-competition test at the Games. A diuretic drug was found in the sample collected from Sharifov, 23. Update:  On Oct. 3 a third athlete, kurash wrestler Yash Kumar Chauhan  of India, was provisionally suspended after an in-competition test detected the steroid metandienone, the metabolic modulator GW1516, and the stimulant mephentermine in his system. source article: https://www.sanspo.com/article/20261002-X4FJLT5MMZKFND6WXPOESAKETQ/ translated by Brett Larner