Skip to main content

Shimahara 3rd in Chicago Marathon

by Brett Larner

The warm conditions and slow early pace at the 2008 Chicago Marathon played straight to the strengths of Second Wind AC's Kiyoko Shimahara, who tied former national record holder Yoko Shibui's 3rd place finish for the best mark ever set by a Japanese woman in Chicago. The extremely slow first half dashed Shimahara's hopes of a PB performance, but she lived up to her reputation as a strong heat runner and powerful finisher by dropping a chase pack which included Beijing Olympics marathon gold medalist Constantina Tomescu-Dita (Romania) and two-time defending champion Berhane Adere (Ethiopia) and overtaking breakaway pack member Bezunesh Bekele (Ethiopia) to take 3rd in 2:30:19. In a post-race interview Shimahara commented,
We started slow, so I gave up on running a PB pretty early on and decided to just go for a good race. I came to Chicago with a lot of confidence and the weather was good [laughing], so even though I couldn't meet my time goal I wanted a good result. I'm very, very happy with placing 3rd and want to thank everyone who helped get me here. It was good.

Team JR Higashi Nihon's Arata Fujiwara was also confident heading into Chicago. Fujiwara said he would be aiming for Toshinari Takaoka's national record of 2:06:16, set in Chicago in 2002. He looked relaxed and enthusiastic before the start and began well, putting himself in the lead pack running just under 2:06 pace and looking comfortable, but just past 5 km he began to drop away and eventually finishing 16th in 2:23:10. An extremely disappointed Fujiwara afterward told reporters,
The pace wasn't something I can't run, but I couldn't run it. I guess that just shows my weakness, and that's hard to face. I couldn't run the way I did in practice. This race was a failure. When I saw the winner's expression I really wanted it to be me. I'll be back to win.

Longtime Japan resident and six-time Chicago top-3 placer Daniel Njenga's poor 2008 season continued as he marked his worst-ever showing in Chicago, finishing 9th in 2:17:33.

Complete results from the Chicago Marathon are available here.

(c) 2008 Brett Larner
all rights reserved

Comments

Most-Read This Week

Endo, Nishikawa and Yamakawa Announce Corporate Team Changes

The SG Holdings men's corporate team announced on Oct. 1 that long-distance athletes Hyuga Endo and Yuichiro Nishikawa have joined its roster after leaving the Sumitomo Denko team. Endo, 28, won the Junior Olympics 3000 m while at Koriyama Nishi J.H.S. before going on to Gakuho Ishikawa H.S. where he was the the top Japanese placer in the 5000 m at the National High School Championships 2 years in a row. After graduating from Gakuho Ishikawa he joined the Sumitomo Denko team, winning the National Championships 5000 m in 2021. He won gold at the 2023 Asian Championships and represented Japan at the 2022 and 2023 World Championships. "I will give everything I have as part of the team and work hard toward helping it win the New Year Ekiden," he said of his new environment. Of his personal goals he said, "I want to focus on the 5000 m and reach new levels to compete internationally." Nishikawa, 28, was a member of Tokai University 's winning teams at the H...

3 Athletes Provisionally Suspended After Positive Drug Tests at Asian Games (updated)

The International Testing Agency announced on Oct. 2 that provisional suspensions have been imposed on two athletes, Kazakhstan's Aiana Bolatbekkyzy in track and field, and Tajikistan's Issamjon Sharifov in tennis, after they tested positive for prohibited substances at the Asian Games in Nagoya, Aichi. Bolatbekkyzy, 19, tested positive for the steroid drostanolone in a sample collected during an in-competition test at the Games. A diuretic drug was found in the sample collected from Sharifov, 23. Update:  On Oct. 3 a third athlete, kurash wrestler Yash Kumar Chauhan  of India, was provisionally suspended after an in-competition test detected the steroid metandienone, the metabolic modulator GW1516, and the stimulant mephentermine in his system. source article: https://www.sanspo.com/article/20261002-X4FJLT5MMZKFND6WXPOESAKETQ/ translated by Brett Larner