Skip to main content

Yasushi Sakaguchi Retires as Chugoku Denryoku Head Coach - "I Was Blessed With the Right People for 35 Years"



Yasushi Sakaguchi, who guided the Chugoku Denryoku men's corporate team to the peak of its power as its head coach and later executive head coach, retired from the team at the end of June. Appearing at his final race on June 29, he said, "It all went by in a blur. I was blessed with the right people for 35 years."

Sakaguchi helped co-found the Chugoku Denryoku team, working to build the team up from zero and becoming its head coach in 1994. "We started with the basics, and built Chugoku Denryoku up into a well-known powerhouse in athletics," he said. Sakaguchi's coaching style encouraging the independence of his athletes helped produced Olympians, World Championships medalists and national record breakers like Shigeru Aburaya, Tsuyoshi Ogata and Atsushi Sato. In the team's golden era it even won the New Year Ekiden national title.

Asked what athletics has meant to him, Sakaguchi answered, "I got to experience the world, and to see it in all its best. I was lucky to see and experience things I never would have without it." All throughout his 35 years watching over the athletes he works with, Sakaguchi has hoped more than anyone for them to succeed. "I've always liked the athletes who go their own road more than the ones who follow," he said. "They're the ones who grow."

Another key component of Sakaguchi's coaching style has always been communication with his athletes. After every race he goes to each of them and talks one-on-one, telling them they have the chance, that if they stay consistent then things can change for them for the better. "When you work with athletes for a long time you learn their lovable side," he said. "I really want them all to achieve their best."

Although he is leaving after 35 years of working alongside his athletes, Sakaguchi still hopes to give back to the sport of athletics. "A lot of people helped me get where I am," he said. "I'd like to do the same for those who are just getting started."

Comments

Most-Read This Week

Australian YouTuber Handed Lifetime Ban by Ageo City Half Marathon After Running 1:06 with Another Runner's Bib (updated)

After discussion with their race's chief JAAF referee, on Nov. 27 the organizers of the Ageo City Half Marathon handed down a lifetime ban from their event against 36-year-old Australian Matt Inglis Fox  for running the Nov. 15 race wearing the bib number of another JAAF-registered runner. The incident came to light after Fox posted on his personal Instagram account that he had run a PB of 1:06:33 and finished 203rd in Ageo with a 10 km split of 31:03, along with photos and video of himself in the race wearing a bib number beginning with 11. Fox did not appear in the results by name or in that time or place, the closest match being a 1:06:54 gross, 1:06:50 net finish time with a 31:21 10 km split for 18th place in the JAAF-registered division and 209th overall by bib number 1129, registered to a non-Japanese Tokyo-resident club runner. The club runner, Harrisson Uk , readily confirmed that he had given his bib to Fox, saying, "I gave my number to Matt. It wasn't me."...

How it Happened

Ancient History I went to Wesleyan University, where the legend of four-time Boston Marathon champ and Wes alum Bill Rodgers hung heavy over the cross-country team. Inspired by Koichi Morishita and Young-Cho Hwang’s duel at the 1992 Barcelona Olympics I ran my first marathon in 1993, qualifying for Boston ’94 where Bill was kind enough to sign a star-struck 20-year-old me’s bib number at the expo. Three years later I moved to Japan for grad school, and through a long string of coincidences I came across a teenaged kid named Yuki Kawauchi down at my neighborhood track. I never imagined he’d become what he is, but right from the start there was just something different about him. After his 2:08:37 breakthrough at the 2011 Tokyo Marathon he called me up and asked me to help him get into races abroad. He’d finished 3rd on the brutal downhill Sixth Stage at the Hakone Ekiden, and given how he’d run the hills in the last 6 km at Tokyo ’11 I thought he’d do well at Boston or New York. “I...