Skip to main content

Olympic Steeplechase 7th-Placer Miura on Tokyo 2020 and Izumo


At the Tokyo Olympics, Ryuji Miura from Hamada, Shimane became the first Japanese man ever to place in the top 8 in an Olympic 3000 m steeplechase final, finishing 7th overall. In his first independent interview since the Olympics, Miura talked about his feelings toward his community and of his future ambitions. Hometown fans may be able to look forward to seeing him race in Shimane again very soon.

"I was really nervous in the qualifying heat," says Miura of his opening round race where he ran a national record 8:09.92. "In the final it was more like, 'Let's get it done,' and I was half psyched up and half stressed out. I think the whole atmosphere of it being the Olympics and me having a blast being there helped make this result happen." 

Still just 19 and a 2nd-year at Juntendo University, Tokyo was Miura's Olympic debut. What was really noticeable about him before and after the race was how calm and cool he stayed during and after the race, looking totally at home among the big boys of the sport. What's Miura's reality? He expresses it this way. "I'm not like that normally," he says. "I 'm sloppy about some things, and there some things I lack. I always forget to bring things to races. I'm always causing trouble for the team manager." 

Back home in Hamada the locals were cheering for his Olympic debut with everything they had. Due to the pandemic Miura hasn't been able to go home to see people afterward, but he knows exactly where he wants to go once he gets the chance. "The first two places I'm going when I get back to Shimane are to my parents' house and to my old track club," he says. "That's where it all started, where I learned that I really like track. It's where coach Sadao Kamigasako first gave me the chance to run the 3000 m steeplechase."

Coach Kamigasako had cried as he watched his former pupil's Olympic success, and he's at the top of Miura's list of people to visit. But there's one more place he'd like to go. "I used to go the seaside park a lot when I was little," he says. "The sunset there is really beautiful. If it's still summer I want to go for a swim there."

Juntendo's ekiden team started fall training on Aug. 18. Looking ahead to this season's Big Three University Ekidens, Miiura is motivated for October's season-opening Izumo Ekiden in Shimane. "I'd be incredibly happy to run on the streets of Izumo," he says. "I don't know what the situation is going to be at that point, but I don't get many chances to be there so if the circumstances make it possible to have the opportunity to run there I totally want to do it." 

With three years more experience ahead of him on the track and roads before the Paris Olympics Miura is aiming even higher. "A lot of people have supported me, and I've really picked up on their energy," he says. "If would be great if I could give some of that back to the people of Shimane through my running."

source article:
translated and edited by Brett Larner

Buy Me A Coffee

Comments

Most-Read This Week

Asian Games Preview - Entries, Timetable and Live Results

Back in Japan for the first time in 32 years and representing 60% of the world's population, with more athletes competing across all sports than at the Olympics, the Aichi-Nagoya Asian Games are already underway. Athletics competition starts tomorrow and runs through Tuesday the 29th. Some of the biggest names on the entry list include: Rumesh Tharanga Pathirage (SRI) - men's javelin throw - 2026 World Ultimate Championships gold and 2026 Diamond League champion Haruka Kitaguchi (JPN) - women's javelin throw - 2026 World Ultimate Championships and 2024 Paris Olympics gold Birhanu Balew (BRN) - men's 5000 m/10000 m - 2026 Diamond League 5000 m champion Sanghyeok Woo (KOR) - men's high jump - 2025 Tokyo World Championships silver Hayato Katsuki (JPN) - men's marathon race walk - 2025 Tokyo World Championships bronze Abderrahman Samba (QAT) - men's 400 mH - 2025 Tokyo World Championships bronze Jiale Zhang (CHN) - women's hammer throw - 2025 Tokyo W...

Asian Games Competition Schedule

The daily athletics event schedule for September's Aichi-Nagoya Asian Games . Wednesday, Sept. 23 7:30 - Women's / Men's Half Marathon Race Walk Final Thursday, Sept. 24 10:00 - Women's Heptathlon 100 mH 10:20 - Mixed 4x400 m Relay Heats 10:30 - Men's Triple Jump Heats 10:40 - Women's Heptathlon High Jump 19:05 - Men's High Jump Heats 19:13 - Women's Heptathlon Shot Put 19:33 - Women's 100 m Heats 19:44 - Women's Triple Jump Final 20:08 - Men's 100 m Heats 20:55 - Men's Discus Throw Final 21:00 - Women's Heptathlon 200 m 21:25 - Women's 10000 m Final 22:15 - Mixed 4x400 m Relay Final Friday, Sept. 25 10:00 - Women's Heptathlon Long Jump 10:30 - Men's 400 m Heats 11:25 - Women's Heptathlon Javelin Throw 19:05 - Women's Shot Put Final 19:13 - Women's 100 m Semifinal 19:33 - Men's 100 m Semifinal 20:03 - Women's Pole Vault Final 20:11 - Women's Heptathlon 800 m 20:32 - Men's 10000 m Final 20:40 - M...

Endo, Nishikawa and Yamakawa Announce Corporate Team Changes

The SG Holdings men's corporate team announced on Oct. 1 that long-distance athletes Hyuga Endo and Yuichiro Nishikawa have joined its roster after leaving the Sumitomo Denko team. Endo, 28, won the Junior Olympics 3000 m while at Koriyama Nishi J.H.S. before going on to Gakuho Ishikawa H.S. where he was the the top Japanese placer in the 5000 m at the National High School Championships 2 years in a row. After graduating from Gakuho Ishikawa he joined the Sumitomo Denko team, winning the National Championships 5000 m in 2021. He won gold at the 2023 Asian Championships and represented Japan at the 2022 and 2023 World Championships. "I will give everything I have as part of the team and work hard toward helping it win the New Year Ekiden," he said of his new environment. Of his personal goals he said, "I want to focus on the 5000 m and reach new levels to compete internationally." Nishikawa, 28, was a member of Tokai University 's winning teams at the H...