Skip to main content

What 36-Year-Old Kentaro Nakamoto Showed Us at the Olympic Trials

an editorial by Serika Ito

As the figure on the screen grew larger, I could feel myself unintentionally getting energy from it. Just past 31 km, the oldest man in the race, 36-year-old Kentaro Nakamoto (Yasukawa Denki) took the lead in the chase pack behind breakaway frontrunner Yuta Shitara (Honda). It was one of the memorable scenes in last September's Marathon Grand Championship (MGC) Tokyo Olympics marathon trial race.

At one point Nakamoto was more than 20 seconds behind the chase group, but he had already proven himself in heat and excelled at race tactics and catching up. "Maybe there's going to be a Tokyo Olympics for him," I thought. I couldn't help starting to get excited.

Nakamoto was 6th in the 2012 London Olympics marathon and made three World Championships teams in the marathon, finishing as high as 5th and always in the top 10. I interviewed him many times over the years as he quietly build a track record of anonymous quality. Although he ended up 8th in the MGC, I'll never forget how he looked back on the race, telling me, "I showed who I am and made my presence felt."

I could sense how he felt about the Olympics and how well-prepared he was when I interviewed him two days before the race. He's fundamentally quiet, not somebody who speaks out. But in the words that escaped his lips, "I was able to train almost to the level of when I was at my best," and "I feel strongly about having made it here, and because of that I was firm and resolved and trained well," there was power.

After having gone through the London and Rio de Janeiro Olympic selection processes, his third shot at an Olympic team was a new experience. MGC qualifying races started in the summer of '17. Everyone who cleared the criteria had to line up in a single race that would decide two of the three people on the team. It was a system designed to bring an Olympic medal one step closer.

It was especially competitive among the men, with one after another Hakone Ekiden star lining up to take on the marathon. The national record that had stood for 16 years since 2002 was broken twice by the time the MGC came around. "The era has changed, and all the new athletes are taking it to a higher level," Nakamoto said. "It gives me joy to be among them, and I feel like I'll be able to contend with them for the Olympics."

Having been one of the people who helped lead the way to this new era, you could sense the pride that resonated inside his words. In all the years since Koichi Morishita won the silver medal at the 1992 Barcelona Olympics only three Japanese men have made the top 8 in an Olympic marathon. A year after he did it in the London Olympics, Nakamoto went one better with a 5th-place finish at the '13 Moscow World Championships.

Making the top 8 at global championships two years in a row is no small feat, but Nakamoto's feelings about it were unmistakable when he said, "The value of top 8 and a medal is completely different." At the London Olympics he was 1:39 from the bronze medal. In Moscow he was only 27 seconds away. "If I could medal in Tokyo," he said, "it would be a perfect culmination to my career as an athlete." Even now, he was still chasing those few dozen seconds to a medal.

In the way Nakamoto ran the race about which he had said, "I want to make it an exciting race myself," you could see the philosophy of life of this runner who bridged the gap from history to the modernity of Japanese men's marathoning. This year he is his corporate team's captain. On his profile on the team website he wrote, "This will be my 16th season, and I want to have more fun running than I ever have before." Kentaro Nakamoto seems like an athlete who can make that hope a reality.

source articles:
https://www.nishinippon.co.jp/nsp/item/n/603702/
translated and edited by Brett Larner

Buy Me A Coffee

Comments

Most-Read This Week

Asian Games Preview - Entries, Timetable and Live Results

Back in Japan for the first time in 32 years and representing 60% of the world's population, with more athletes competing across all sports than at the Olympics, the Aichi-Nagoya Asian Games are already underway. Athletics competition starts tomorrow and runs through Tuesday the 29th. Some of the biggest names on the entry list include: Rumesh Tharanga Pathirage (SRI) - men's javelin throw - 2026 World Ultimate Championships gold and 2026 Diamond League champion Haruka Kitaguchi (JPN) - women's javelin throw - 2026 World Ultimate Championships and 2024 Paris Olympics gold Birhanu Balew (BRN) - men's 5000 m/10000 m - 2026 Diamond League 5000 m champion Sanghyeok Woo (KOR) - men's high jump - 2025 Tokyo World Championships silver Hayato Katsuki (JPN) - men's marathon race walk - 2025 Tokyo World Championships bronze Abderrahman Samba (QAT) - men's 400 mH - 2025 Tokyo World Championships bronze Jiale Zhang (CHN) - women's hammer throw - 2025 Tokyo W...

Asian Games Competition Schedule

The daily athletics event schedule for September's Aichi-Nagoya Asian Games . Wednesday, Sept. 23 7:30 - Women's / Men's Half Marathon Race Walk Final Thursday, Sept. 24 10:00 - Women's Heptathlon 100 mH 10:20 - Mixed 4x400 m Relay Heats 10:30 - Men's Triple Jump Heats 10:40 - Women's Heptathlon High Jump 19:05 - Men's High Jump Heats 19:13 - Women's Heptathlon Shot Put 19:33 - Women's 100 m Heats 19:44 - Women's Triple Jump Final 20:08 - Men's 100 m Heats 20:55 - Men's Discus Throw Final 21:00 - Women's Heptathlon 200 m 21:25 - Women's 10000 m Final 22:15 - Mixed 4x400 m Relay Final Friday, Sept. 25 10:00 - Women's Heptathlon Long Jump 10:30 - Men's 400 m Heats 11:25 - Women's Heptathlon Javelin Throw 19:05 - Women's Shot Put Final 19:13 - Women's 100 m Semifinal 19:33 - Men's 100 m Semifinal 20:03 - Women's Pole Vault Final 20:11 - Women's Heptathlon 800 m 20:32 - Men's 10000 m Final 20:40 - M...

Endo, Nishikawa and Yamakawa Announce Corporate Team Changes

The SG Holdings men's corporate team announced on Oct. 1 that long-distance athletes Hyuga Endo and Yuichiro Nishikawa have joined its roster after leaving the Sumitomo Denko team. Endo, 28, won the Junior Olympics 3000 m while at Koriyama Nishi J.H.S. before going on to Gakuho Ishikawa H.S. where he was the the top Japanese placer in the 5000 m at the National High School Championships 2 years in a row. After graduating from Gakuho Ishikawa he joined the Sumitomo Denko team, winning the National Championships 5000 m in 2021. He won gold at the 2023 Asian Championships and represented Japan at the 2022 and 2023 World Championships. "I will give everything I have as part of the team and work hard toward helping it win the New Year Ekiden," he said of his new environment. Of his personal goals he said, "I want to focus on the 5000 m and reach new levels to compete internationally." Nishikawa, 28, was a member of Tokai University 's winning teams at the H...