Skip to main content

Caught Off Guard by Announcement, Kawauchi's Colleagues Vow to Support Him All the Way in Next Phase of Career

As his journey takes him far away across the world, the shining star of the Saitama Prefectural Government is set to take a new step. Returning to Japan on April 19 after becoming the first Japanese man in 31 years to win the Boston Marathon, Yuki Kawauchi, 31, unexpectedly announced that he plans to retire from his job at the prefectural government offices next spring to turn pro. His boss, colleagues and prefectural government officials were caught off guard by the announcement, expressing surprise and dismay, but voiced their support as they said, "We respect his decision," and "We will support him forever."

After announcing his plans to go pro at Narita Airport, Kawauchi hurried to work at Kuki High School in Kuki, Saitama. After receiving flowers, a cake and blessings for his achievement from Principal Atsushi Takemoto and his coworkers, Kawauchi smiled widely, saying, "I'm very grateful. I'm so happy. I didn't think I could really win it."

With a pile of documents stacked high on his desk, Kawauchi opened his computer and got down to work. Asked why he had come to work right after returning to Japan he answered, "I've been absent for a week and came back a day later than scheduled, so I've caused a lot of inconvenience."

Kuki High School is approaching its 100th anniversary. A member of the centenary commemorative project executive committee, Kawauchi commented, "I owe a lot to my colleagues having supported me, and the 100th anniversary project matters. For the time being I want to keep my balance between work and racing the way I always have until now."

Kawauchi is beginning his fifth year at Kuki High School following five years at Kasukabe High School. Principal Takemoto praised him, saying, "He is an excellent administrative worker. He is a very serious young man who shows initiative in his work. Once this centennial business calms down I'd like to do something to recognize him."

Regarding Kawauchi's announcement that he would go pro, Principal Takemoto commented, "If that is his wish then I would like to respect it. I think that a result such as that he produced must have made him think. We all want to support him."

Members of the prefectural government's running club who trained with Kawauchi and took part in training camps and ekidens with him were likewise surprised by his announcement that he would go pro. Club director Sho Kuwabara said, "I'm shocked. Kawauchi is always really into training. I'm impressed every time."

The running club has about 100 members. It was founded in 1983 but went defunct at one point. Since Kawauchi joined the number of club members has swelled, as have its female fans. Club secretary general Keiko Kanai shared Kuwahara's surprise, saying, "We just talked about the training camp schedule last week." At the club's year-end-party and other events, Kanai said, "He never stops talking about marathons. Racing is always on his mind."

"He never forgets when someone has helped him and always tries to repay that debt," said the prefectural sports bureau's Masami Kubo. Wishing only the best for the office star, Kubo said, "I'm sorry to hear that he is going to turn pro, but we'll support him forever."

source article:
https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20180420-00010003-saitama-spo
translated by Brett Larner

Buy Me A Coffee

Comments

Metts said…
I hope he stays as an independent pro like some have done and not enter the corporate system. His brand may be high enough now to get some good independent sponsorship and not be sucked into the corporate system.

Most-Read This Week

Federation Tells World Championships Marathoner Horibata To Go On Diet

http://hochi.yomiuri.co.jp/sports/etc/news/20110307-OHT1T00258.htm translated by Brett Larner Having made the 2011 World Championships marathon team by running a PB of 2:09:25 to come in 3rd overall and as the top Japanese finisher at the Mar. 6 Lake Biwa Mainichi Marathon, Hiroyuki Horibata (24, Team Asahi Kasei), talked to the media at Osaka Airport on Mar. 7. Following Sunday's race Rikuren director Keisuke Sawaki , 67, told Horibata, "Let's cut things down a bit until the World Championships," directing him to go on a diet. The 189 cm Horibata weighs 72 kg [~6'3", 160 lbs]. When he joined Team Asahi Kasei in 2005 at age 18 he weighed 65 kg, and this weight is still generally listed on his profile at races and in the media. "For some reason it never changes," he said with a grin. His coach Takeshi Soh , 58, commented, "If he was hungrier for glory his world would change completely," slapping the 'heavyweight division runner...

World Marathon Majors Japanese Entries

We're back from a short summer break. A week and a half out from the first race of the season's four World Marathon Majors races, here's a look at Japanese athletes scheduled to run. Everything right now is about qualifying for the MGC Race, the official trials race for the 2028 Los Angeles Olympics to be held in the fall of 2027 in Nagoya. The JAAF makes no mistake about wanting to keep its top people racing domestically where it can get a share of revenue from the TV broadcast and race operations, so anyone who decides to race overseas has to do it in a WA platinum label race and hit either 2:06:30 or 2:23:30, regardless of place, course or weather if they want to make the trials. At the same time concessions are make for domestic races, like for example the late-August Hokkaido Marathon where up to 3 men and 3 women can qualify if they go 2:12:00 or 2:32:00. As a result, you get things like last year where amateur runner Yudai Fukuda made the trials by finishing 3rd Jap...

Nakajima Breaks 100 mH NR Twice, Kitaguchi Returns - August Track Roundup

Catching up on what's been happening in track and field this month during our summer break: Men's 3000 m NR holder Nagiya Mori was just off his 5000 m PB at the IFAM Oordegem meet in Belgium on Aug. 1, taking 16th in 13:15.01. Shota Nakano was 26th of 28 in 13:35.02. This year's national champion Ryoma Aoki ran the 3000 mSC but didn't finish. Naoto Hasegawa was the only Japanese athlete at Mutaz Essa Barshim 's What Gravity Tour stop at the Monaco Athletics Festival meet on Aug. 5. Having cleared 2.30 m for the first time earlier this year Hasegawa only managed 2.18 m in Monaco, taking 7th of 10. There were a lot of good performances at the Fuji Hokuriku World Trial meet in Fujiyoshida on Aug. 9, but the one that got the headlines was a 12.62 (-0.2) NR in the women's 100 mH by Hitomi Nakajima . Nakajima actually did it twice, running 12.62 (+2.0) in the heats before repeating in the final. Masumi Aoki also ran big in the heats, with a 12.68 (+2.0) for al...