Skip to main content

Ueno Solos Second-Straight Fuchu Tamagawa Half Win

http://www.komaspo.com/4157

translated and edited by Brett Larner

The 35th Fuchu Tamagawa Half Marathon took place Nov. 23 in Tokyo's western suburb of Fuchu.  In their last road race before the Jan. 1-2 Hakone Ekiden, defending Fuchu Tamagawa winner Wataru Ueno and teammate Toshiaki Nishizawa of 2012 National University Men's Ekiden champion Komazawa University went 1-2.  Both athletes ran well from the start, running together through 10 km before Ueno made a move to go alone into the lead just before 13 km, leaving Nishizawa behind to fade away.  Looking calm and composed he ran as though there was nothing else, taking the win in 1:05:01.  At the other end of the spectrum, Nishizawa's face showed the strain of the second half of the race and he drifted to a distant 2nd in 1:06:20.  In terms of their placing they showed the characteristic Komazawa strength, but neither athlete was able to reach his time goal.  Both athletes gave comments after the race.

Wataru Ueno
I was still tired from our latest training camp but the conditions were great after the rain let up and it was easy to run.  I dug deep on this one.  Coach (Hiroaki Oyagi) had given me some advice, so I picked things up at 5 km, but even so I was aiming for 64 flat and I ended up a minute short of that.  Since I ran a fair amount of it alone I think it was good mental training (for the Hakone Ekiden).  This is going to be my last Hakone so I want to win my stage and help get the overall win.

Toshiaki Nishizawa
I'm still recovering from the last training camp, so in running with Ueno he was really pushing it and I was just trying to stay with him.  But, I found that I was more fatigued than I expected and after 10 km I started to fade back and was soon by myself.  (Coach Oyagi told me that) this was my last race before Hakone and that I should work on speeding up in the second half, but I couldn't do anything to impress him in this race.  I guess I have to impress him in practice now.  I have to try to overcome my own weakness.

35th Fuchu Tamagawa Half Marathon
Fuchu, Tokyo, 11/23/12

Men
1. Wataru Ueno (Komazawa Univ.) - 1:05:01
2. Toshiaki Nishizawa (Komazawa Univ.) - 1:06:20
3. Suguru Abe (Kanagawa Univ.) - 1:07:21

Comments

Most-Read This Week

Endo, Nishikawa and Yamakawa Announce Corporate Team Changes

The SG Holdings men's corporate team announced on Oct. 1 that long-distance athletes Hyuga Endo and Yuichiro Nishikawa have joined its roster after leaving the Sumitomo Denko team. Endo, 28, won the Junior Olympics 3000 m while at Koriyama Nishi J.H.S. before going on to Gakuho Ishikawa H.S. where he was the the top Japanese placer in the 5000 m at the National High School Championships 2 years in a row. After graduating from Gakuho Ishikawa he joined the Sumitomo Denko team, winning the National Championships 5000 m in 2021. He won gold at the 2023 Asian Championships and represented Japan at the 2022 and 2023 World Championships. "I will give everything I have as part of the team and work hard toward helping it win the New Year Ekiden," he said of his new environment. Of his personal goals he said, "I want to focus on the 5000 m and reach new levels to compete internationally." Nishikawa, 28, was a member of Tokai University 's winning teams at the H...

3 Athletes Provisionally Suspended After Positive Drug Tests at Asian Games (updated)

The International Testing Agency announced on Oct. 2 that provisional suspensions have been imposed on two athletes, Kazakhstan's Aiana Bolatbekkyzy in track and field, and Tajikistan's Issamjon Sharifov in tennis, after they tested positive for prohibited substances at the Asian Games in Nagoya, Aichi. Bolatbekkyzy, 19, tested positive for the steroid drostanolone in a sample collected during an in-competition test at the Games. A diuretic drug was found in the sample collected from Sharifov, 23. Update:  On Oct. 3 a third athlete, kurash wrestler Yash Kumar Chauhan  of India, was provisionally suspended after an in-competition test detected the steroid metandienone, the metabolic modulator GW1516, and the stimulant mephentermine in his system. source article: https://www.sanspo.com/article/20261002-X4FJLT5MMZKFND6WXPOESAKETQ/ translated by Brett Larner