Skip to main content

Kazuhiro Maeda and the Need for Speed

http://www.nishinippon.co.jp/nsp/item/112393

translated and edited by Brett Larner

Team Kyudenko's Kazuhiro Maeda (28) will run the marathon later this month at the 2009 World Championships in Berlin after finishing 2nd overall in his marathon debut in adverse conditions at March's Tokyo Marathon. It will be Maeda's second-straight World Championships appearance, having run the 10000 m at the 2007 World Championships in Osaka. "I'm hungry for a medal, and that's how I'm going to run," he told a crowd of 300 supporters who gathered July 30 to see him off.

Having booked his ticket to the World Championships Maeda isn't trying to take the easy way by hanging back from the competition. Facing the prospect of hot, taxing conditions he has made a firm decision to be among the leaders setting the undoubtedly fast pace. "I'll be up there cruising in the flow. If I fall off I'll do everything I can to hang on," he said with assurance.

However, it's clear these days that even in deepest summer the pace of a world-class race will no longer break. At last summer's Beijing Olympics, Japanese-trained Samuel Wanjiru of Kenya broke the Olympic record by three minutes to win in 2:06:32. 2005 World Championships bronze medalist Tsuyoshi Ogata (Team Chugoku Denryoku) advanced through the field in the second half of the race to finish 13th overall, the top Japanese position. Maeda's coach Kenji Ayabe views this year's race the same way as Maeda, saying, "Trying to come from behind isn't going to get anywhere anymore. Kazuhiro has to stay up front to make sure he finishes in the prizes."

Since June Maeda has been in full-time marathon training, working to bring his 27-minute 10000 m speed to the marathon. Running in Kokonoemachi, Oita Prefecture on a course rich in hills, Maeda has completed four 40 km workouts and one 45 km run. From July 6-17 he moved to a training camp in Hokkaido to work on his speed on track and cross country courses.

Maeda's sole race of the reason was a 5000 m on the track in 13:49.81. Marathon and 10000 m national record holder Toshinari Takaoka, now a coach for Team Kanebo, watched him run the 5000 m and told him afterwards, "When I ran my good marathons I ran the same kind of time for 5000 m that you just did," lifting Maeda's spirits and spurring him on as the big date approaches.

"Kazuhiro hasn't had any injuries or down time, and he's done pretty much 100% of the training on the menu," said Coach Ayabe. In his prime at age 28, Maeda is prepared and eager for the fight. "I've put in everything I need to. Now I'm ready to come out swinging."

Comments

Most-Read This Week

Asian Games Preview - Entries, Timetable and Live Results

Back in Japan for the first time in 32 years and representing 60% of the world's population, with more athletes competing across all sports than at the Olympics, the Aichi-Nagoya Asian Games are already underway. Athletics competition starts tomorrow and runs through Tuesday the 29th. Some of the biggest names on the entry list include: Rumesh Tharanga Pathirage (SRI) - men's javelin throw - 2026 World Ultimate Championships gold and 2026 Diamond League champion Haruka Kitaguchi (JPN) - women's javelin throw - 2026 World Ultimate Championships and 2024 Paris Olympics gold Birhanu Balew (BRN) - men's 5000 m/10000 m - 2026 Diamond League 5000 m champion Sanghyeok Woo (KOR) - men's high jump - 2025 Tokyo World Championships silver Hayato Katsuki (JPN) - men's marathon race walk - 2025 Tokyo World Championships bronze Abderrahman Samba (QAT) - men's 400 mH - 2025 Tokyo World Championships bronze Jiale Zhang (CHN) - women's hammer throw - 2025 Tokyo W...

Endo, Nishikawa and Yamakawa Announce Corporate Team Changes

The SG Holdings men's corporate team announced on Oct. 1 that long-distance athletes Hyuga Endo and Yuichiro Nishikawa have joined its roster after leaving the Sumitomo Denko team. Endo, 28, won the Junior Olympics 3000 m while at Koriyama Nishi J.H.S. before going on to Gakuho Ishikawa H.S. where he was the the top Japanese placer in the 5000 m at the National High School Championships 2 years in a row. After graduating from Gakuho Ishikawa he joined the Sumitomo Denko team, winning the National Championships 5000 m in 2021. He won gold at the 2023 Asian Championships and represented Japan at the 2022 and 2023 World Championships. "I will give everything I have as part of the team and work hard toward helping it win the New Year Ekiden," he said of his new environment. Of his personal goals he said, "I want to focus on the 5000 m and reach new levels to compete internationally." Nishikawa, 28, was a member of Tokai University 's winning teams at the H...

2 Athletes Provisionally Suspended After Positive Drug Tests at Asian Games

The International Testing Agency announced on Oct. 2 that provisional suspensions have been imposed on two athletes, Kazakhstan's Aiana Bolatbekkyzy in track and field, and Tajikistan's Issamjon Sharifov in tennis, after they tested positive for prohibited substances at the Asian Games in Nagoya, Aichi. Bolatbekkyzy, 19, tested positive for the steroid drostanolone in a sample collected during an in-competition test at the Games. A diuretic drug was found in the sample collected from Sharifov, 23. source article: https://www.sanspo.com/article/20261002-X4FJLT5MMZKFND6WXPOESAKETQ/ translated by Brett Larner