Skip to main content

Fujiwara Leaves for St. Moritz Ahead of World Championships

http://sports.nikkei.co.jp/index.aspx?n=SSXKG0190%2001082009
http://www.nikkansports.com/sports/news/f-sp-tp0-20090801-525953.html

translated and edited by Brett Larner

Arata Fujiwara in Narita Airport Aug. 1. Click photo for full-sized version.

Berlin World Championships marathoner Arata Fujiwara (Team JR Higashi Nihon) left Tokyo's Narita Airport on Aug. 1st for his final preparations at a high-altitude training camp in St. Moritz, Switzerland. Asked if he is looking to finish in the medals Fujiwara looked relaxed and happy as he replied, "Of course, that's why I'm going. I'm going to run the best race I ever have."

It was clear that Fujiwara's condition has improved since last month's Sapporo International Half Marathon where he was 98th. In his training in Hokkaido since then he has focused on making adjustments to his form and has ironed out the problems he was having. "I've gotten all my mileage in, and now [at altitude in St. Moritz] I'll just be tuning up my cardiovascular system a bit." Fully expecting the Africans in the field to set a blistering pace, Fujiwara said, "I've been training to run 3 min [per km] pace, and I'll be ready to act when the race picks up."

Comments

Most-Read This Week

Endo, Nishikawa and Yamakawa Announce Corporate Team Changes

The SG Holdings men's corporate team announced on Oct. 1 that long-distance athletes Hyuga Endo and Yuichiro Nishikawa have joined its roster after leaving the Sumitomo Denko team. Endo, 28, won the Junior Olympics 3000 m while at Koriyama Nishi J.H.S. before going on to Gakuho Ishikawa H.S. where he was the the top Japanese placer in the 5000 m at the National High School Championships 2 years in a row. After graduating from Gakuho Ishikawa he joined the Sumitomo Denko team, winning the National Championships 5000 m in 2021. He won gold at the 2023 Asian Championships and represented Japan at the 2022 and 2023 World Championships. "I will give everything I have as part of the team and work hard toward helping it win the New Year Ekiden," he said of his new environment. Of his personal goals he said, "I want to focus on the 5000 m and reach new levels to compete internationally." Nishikawa, 28, was a member of Tokai University 's winning teams at the H...

3 Athletes Provisionally Suspended After Positive Drug Tests at Asian Games (updated)

The International Testing Agency announced on Oct. 2 that provisional suspensions have been imposed on two athletes, Kazakhstan's Aiana Bolatbekkyzy in track and field, and Tajikistan's Issamjon Sharifov in tennis, after they tested positive for prohibited substances at the Asian Games in Nagoya, Aichi. Bolatbekkyzy, 19, tested positive for the steroid drostanolone in a sample collected during an in-competition test at the Games. A diuretic drug was found in the sample collected from Sharifov, 23. Update:  On Oct. 3 a third athlete, kurash wrestler Yash Kumar Chauhan  of India, was provisionally suspended after an in-competition test detected the steroid metandienone, the metabolic modulator GW1516, and the stimulant mephentermine in his system. source article: https://www.sanspo.com/article/20261002-X4FJLT5MMZKFND6WXPOESAKETQ/ translated by Brett Larner