Skip to main content

The Japanese and American World Championships Men's Marathon Teams
















A comparison of the Japanese and American men's teams for this year's World Championships marathon. The first column shows the athlete's best time within the qualification window of Sept. 3, 2007 - Aug. 3, 2009. The second column shows his worst time within the same period, and the third column shows his lifetime best. The Japanese team listing includes alternate Kensuke Takahashi.

(c) 2009 Brett Larner
all rights reserved

Comments

BrynRunning said…
Whilst this clearly highlights the strength of Japanese marathoning it also highlights priorities. That is (I believe) most of the top Japanese marathoners.

On the US side you're missing Hall, Meb, Ritz, Abdi, Sell. All of whom would I think at the least, give the last placed guy a good run for his money and in some cases be well clear.

Unfortunately I'm a Brit and with the possible exception of Dan Robinson and maybe Andi Jones I doubt we'd have many beating the last American finisher...
Brett Larner said…
Bryn--

I hear what you're saying about priorities, although at least two of the bigger-name Americans you mention would be hard-pressed to crack the Japanese squad. For what it's worth, there are two other guys who ran 2:08 and four other guys who ran 2:09 within the Berlin qualification window but didn't make the Japanese team.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that Canada is actually sending some marathoners this time. From the looks of it they might be able to give the U.S. a go in the Marathon World Cup team competition.

Most-Read This Week

Endo, Nishikawa and Yamakawa Announce Corporate Team Changes

The SG Holdings men's corporate team announced on Oct. 1 that long-distance athletes Hyuga Endo and Yuichiro Nishikawa have joined its roster after leaving the Sumitomo Denko team. Endo, 28, won the Junior Olympics 3000 m while at Koriyama Nishi J.H.S. before going on to Gakuho Ishikawa H.S. where he was the the top Japanese placer in the 5000 m at the National High School Championships 2 years in a row. After graduating from Gakuho Ishikawa he joined the Sumitomo Denko team, winning the National Championships 5000 m in 2021. He won gold at the 2023 Asian Championships and represented Japan at the 2022 and 2023 World Championships. "I will give everything I have as part of the team and work hard toward helping it win the New Year Ekiden," he said of his new environment. Of his personal goals he said, "I want to focus on the 5000 m and reach new levels to compete internationally." Nishikawa, 28, was a member of Tokai University 's winning teams at the H...

3 Athletes Provisionally Suspended After Positive Drug Tests at Asian Games (updated)

The International Testing Agency announced on Oct. 2 that provisional suspensions have been imposed on two athletes, Kazakhstan's Aiana Bolatbekkyzy in track and field, and Tajikistan's Issamjon Sharifov in tennis, after they tested positive for prohibited substances at the Asian Games in Nagoya, Aichi. Bolatbekkyzy, 19, tested positive for the steroid drostanolone in a sample collected during an in-competition test at the Games. A diuretic drug was found in the sample collected from Sharifov, 23. Update:  On Oct. 3 a third athlete, kurash wrestler Yash Kumar Chauhan  of India, was provisionally suspended after an in-competition test detected the steroid metandienone, the metabolic modulator GW1516, and the stimulant mephentermine in his system. source article: https://www.sanspo.com/article/20261002-X4FJLT5MMZKFND6WXPOESAKETQ/ translated by Brett Larner