Skip to main content

Tergat Withdraws From Fukuoka Due to `Special Military Training` Requirement

http://www.asahi.com/sports/update/1127/SEB200711270019.html?ref=rss

translated by Mika Tokairin and Brett Larner

The Fukuoka International Marathon announced today that former world record holder Paul Tergat (Kenya) has withdrawn from this Sunday`s race. His agent told race organizers that the Kenyan Army, of which Tergat is a member, called him up unexpectedly for special training and that he will not be able to come to Japan.

Tergat set the world record of 2:04:55 in Berlin `03. In September this year at Berlin, Haile Gebrselassie (Ethiopia) broke the 4-year old record. Japanese fans were eagerly anticipating Tergat`s appearance in Fukuoka which was to be his first marathon in Japan.

Tergat said, "Unfortunately I cannot make it due to the Army`s program. I hope I will be invited again next year and I intend to win then."

Translator`s note: The Japanese source article specifies `rikugun` which translates as `ground forces` or `army` rather than `air force.`

Comments

Brett Larner said…
Translation note: The Japanese article uses the term `rikugun,` literally `ground forces,` i.e. `Army.`
Anonymous said…
Terget will be back when Sammy isn't racing, he is clearly ducking the competition after Sammy had that great prep race last year.
Bob said…
Uh...Tergat is a member of the Kenyan AIR FORCE.

http://www.mod.go.ke/Kafsite/athletics.htm
Anonymous said…
Brett, thank you for your site, I love it! My wish list includes information on training practices of Japanese runners, particulary marathoners. (Is there much differentiation between teams?) Also, I would love some comments on the Japanese culture of training in racing flats, and their thoughts on running shoes in general. - Eugene, OR
Brett Larner said…
> Bob said...
> Uh...Tergat is a member of the > Kenyan AIR FORCE.

See above translation note.

Most-Read This Week

Endo, Nishikawa and Yamakawa Announce Corporate Team Changes

The SG Holdings men's corporate team announced on Oct. 1 that long-distance athletes Hyuga Endo and Yuichiro Nishikawa have joined its roster after leaving the Sumitomo Denko team. Endo, 28, won the Junior Olympics 3000 m while at Koriyama Nishi J.H.S. before going on to Gakuho Ishikawa H.S. where he was the the top Japanese placer in the 5000 m at the National High School Championships 2 years in a row. After graduating from Gakuho Ishikawa he joined the Sumitomo Denko team, winning the National Championships 5000 m in 2021. He won gold at the 2023 Asian Championships and represented Japan at the 2022 and 2023 World Championships. "I will give everything I have as part of the team and work hard toward helping it win the New Year Ekiden," he said of his new environment. Of his personal goals he said, "I want to focus on the 5000 m and reach new levels to compete internationally." Nishikawa, 28, was a member of Tokai University 's winning teams at the H...

2 Athletes Provisionally Suspended After Positive Drug Tests at Asian Games

The International Testing Agency announced on Oct. 2 that provisional suspensions have been imposed on two athletes, Kazakhstan's Aiana Bolatbekkyzy in track and field, and Tajikistan's Issamjon Sharifov in tennis, after they tested positive for prohibited substances at the Asian Games in Nagoya, Aichi. Bolatbekkyzy, 19, tested positive for the steroid drostanolone in a sample collected during an in-competition test at the Games. A diuretic drug was found in the sample collected from Sharifov, 23. source article: https://www.sanspo.com/article/20261002-X4FJLT5MMZKFND6WXPOESAKETQ/ translated by Brett Larner