Skip to main content

Tokyo Olympics Marathon Trials Winner Shogo Nakamura Retires


Tokyo Olympics marathon trials winner Shogo Nakamura will retire at the end of this fiscal year on Mar. 31, 2026. On Jan. 23 he released the following statement on his sponsor Fujitsu's corporate team site.

To everyone who has supported me

I have decided to bring my career as a competitive athlete to its end and retire. I started running in 5th grade, and over the many years since then it has been my life. I'm really happy to be able to end it as part of the Fujitsu team. I've been with Fujitsu since I graduated from Komazawa University, and thanks to Fujitsu's flexibility and support I was able to keep Komazawa as my training base and make it all the way to the Tokyo Olympics. Getting there was a major milestone in my career and remains a prized memory.

After reaching that height I started being with the Fujitsu team full-time, and under the leadership of head coach Tadashi Fukushima and the rest of the coaching staff I entered a new phase of my career aiming to continue at the international level. That time was full of great experiences, the highlights being our win at the 2021 New Year Ekiden and mine at the 2024 Hokkaido Marathon. Challenging myself alongside my Fujitsu colleagues and the process of working to be internationally competitive were something I really enjoyed, and that process was even more fulfilling than the results themselves.

The people I met and the experiences I had during my competitive career shaped me into who I am today. The different coaches, athletes and others I got to know were incredible assets and I want to say a sincere thank you to all of them who guided me along the way, not least to Komazawa University head coach Hiroaki Oyagi who helped lay the foundation of my career.

Thanks to the staff at Fujitsu I had many learning opportunities that helped me grow, not just as an athlete but as a member of our society. I'm grateful that I was able to take my career to its conclusion in the great environment that Fujitsu provides its athletes. And of course, the support from Fujitsu employees outside the team, and from all the fans, was always a great source of encouragement. Thank you all, truly. Please keep giving that support to the rest of the Fujitsu team.

My last 3 races will be:

Feb. 1 - Yokkaichi Minato Run Festival
Feb. 15 - Umashikuni Mie Ekiden
Feb. 22 - Awa City Marathon

I'll treasure every step of them, with thanks in my heart that I was there.

After this I want to get involved in coaching and pass along what I learned at Fujitsu and in my career to the next generation. That next stage will be a learning process too, and I hope to keep getting guidance and encouragement.

Finally, I want to thank my family for always being there for me. Thanks for helping me get this far.

--Shogo Nakamura

Profile
Born Sept. 16, 1992 in Mie
Attended Ueno Kogyo H.S. and Komazawa University

PBs
5000 m - 13:38.93
10000 m - 28:05.79
half marathon - 1:01:40
marathon - 2:08:16

Major accomplishments
2011 - 3rd, National University Ekiden Sixth Stage
2013 - 3rd, Hakone Ekiden Third Stage
2013 - 1st, National University Half Marathon, 1:02:41
2013 - bronze, World University Games Half Marathon, 1:04:21
2013 - 1st, Izumo Ekiden First Stage
2013 - 1st, National University Ekiden First Stage
2014 - 2nd, Hakone Ekiden First Stage
2014 - 3rd, Kumanichi 30 km, 1:30:11
2014 - 28th, World Half Marathon Championships, 1:01:57
2014 - 1st, National University Ekiden Fourth Stage
2015 - 1st, Hakone Ekiden First Stage
2016 - 6th / 1st Japanese, National Corporate Half Marathon, 1:01:53
2016 - 36th, World Half Marathon Championships, 1:04:49
2017 - 3rd, National Championships 5000 m, 13:50.91
2018 - 7th / 1st Japanese, Biwako Mainichi Marathon, 2:10:51
2018 - 4th, Berlin Marathon, 2:08:16
2019 - 1st, MGC Race Tokyo Olympic marathon trials, 2:14:52
2021 - 2nd, New Year Ekiden Fourth Stage / team victory
2021 - 62nd, Tokyo Olympics marathon, 2:22:23
2024 - 1st, Hokkaido Marathon, 2:15:36
2025 - 26th, Tokyo Marathon, 2:09:55

source article:
translated and edited by Brett Larner

Buy Me A Coffee

Comments

Anonymous said…
With a college pedigree like that he could have been happy retiring eventhen, kudos to a very good career even after the Hakone years. Well done Shogo!

Most-Read This Week

Asian Games Preview - Entries, Timetable and Live Results

Back in Japan for the first time in 32 years and representing 60% of the world's population, with more athletes competing across all sports than at the Olympics, the Aichi-Nagoya Asian Games are already underway. Athletics competition starts tomorrow and runs through Tuesday the 29th. Some of the biggest names on the entry list include: Rumesh Tharanga Pathirage (SRI) - men's javelin throw - 2026 World Ultimate Championships gold and 2026 Diamond League champion Haruka Kitaguchi (JPN) - women's javelin throw - 2026 World Ultimate Championships and 2024 Paris Olympics gold Birhanu Balew (BRN) - men's 5000 m/10000 m - 2026 Diamond League 5000 m champion Sanghyeok Woo (KOR) - men's high jump - 2025 Tokyo World Championships silver Hayato Katsuki (JPN) - men's marathon race walk - 2025 Tokyo World Championships bronze Abderrahman Samba (QAT) - men's 400 mH - 2025 Tokyo World Championships bronze Jiale Zhang (CHN) - women's hammer throw - 2025 Tokyo W...

Asian Games Competition Schedule

The daily athletics event schedule for September's Aichi-Nagoya Asian Games . Wednesday, Sept. 23 7:30 - Women's / Men's Half Marathon Race Walk Final Thursday, Sept. 24 10:00 - Women's Heptathlon 100 mH 10:20 - Mixed 4x400 m Relay Heats 10:30 - Men's Triple Jump Heats 10:40 - Women's Heptathlon High Jump 19:05 - Men's High Jump Heats 19:13 - Women's Heptathlon Shot Put 19:33 - Women's 100 m Heats 19:44 - Women's Triple Jump Final 20:08 - Men's 100 m Heats 20:55 - Men's Discus Throw Final 21:00 - Women's Heptathlon 200 m 21:25 - Women's 10000 m Final 22:15 - Mixed 4x400 m Relay Final Friday, Sept. 25 10:00 - Women's Heptathlon Long Jump 10:30 - Men's 400 m Heats 11:25 - Women's Heptathlon Javelin Throw 19:05 - Women's Shot Put Final 19:13 - Women's 100 m Semifinal 19:33 - Men's 100 m Semifinal 20:03 - Women's Pole Vault Final 20:11 - Women's Heptathlon 800 m 20:32 - Men's 10000 m Final 20:40 - M...

Endo, Nishikawa and Yamakawa Announce Corporate Team Changes

The SG Holdings men's corporate team announced on Oct. 1 that long-distance athletes Hyuga Endo and Yuichiro Nishikawa have joined its roster after leaving the Sumitomo Denko team. Endo, 28, won the Junior Olympics 3000 m while at Koriyama Nishi J.H.S. before going on to Gakuho Ishikawa H.S. where he was the the top Japanese placer in the 5000 m at the National High School Championships 2 years in a row. After graduating from Gakuho Ishikawa he joined the Sumitomo Denko team, winning the National Championships 5000 m in 2021. He won gold at the 2023 Asian Championships and represented Japan at the 2022 and 2023 World Championships. "I will give everything I have as part of the team and work hard toward helping it win the New Year Ekiden," he said of his new environment. Of his personal goals he said, "I want to focus on the 5000 m and reach new levels to compete internationally." Nishikawa, 28, was a member of Tokai University 's winning teams at the H...