Skip to main content

Asahi Kuroda Named Hakone Ekiden MVP

 

Following Aoyama Gakuin University's scoring its second Hakone Ekiden threepeat, 4th-year Asahi Kuroda was awarded Hakone's MVP and Kanakuri Cup. The MVP award goes to the runner who made the biggest individual contribution to the winning team's success, with the Kanakuri Cup going to the outstanding overall individual performance of the race, as decided by a vote among coaches of the teams at this year's race.

On the first day of the Hakone Ekiden on Jan. 2, Kuroda set a new CR of 1:07:16 on the 20.8 km Fifth Stage, which rises from near sea level to a peak elevation of 874 m before dropping to finish at 731 m. His incredible time took 1:55 off the 1:09:11 CR set just a year earlier by his former Aoyama Gakuin teammate Hiroki Wakabayashi and catapulted Aoyama Gakuin from 5th place into the lead, breaking its own Day One CR and setting it up to front run the second day to the overall win.

"I've never gotten the MVP award before, and that was one thing I really wanted," Kuroda said. "I'm really happy to get both. It wasn't something I achieved my own, and I want to thank everyone, including my teammates, coach, and all the other team staff, for helping me make it possible."

Last year Aoyama Gakuin's Akimu Nomura was also awarded both distinctions after breaking the CR on the downhill Sixth Stage.


Comments

Anonymous said…
Super deserved award for a legendary stage run.

Will be a star at the corporate and marathon level.
Anonymous said…
Follow up to my previous comment and the article: I read that Kuroda if in good conditions may run the Beppu Oita marathon in a few weeks. Brett, do you think it's a reasonable choice or should have been better to go Osaka again hoping for more favorable conditions than last time (and with a likely better field). I think the guy has NR potential right away in the marathon in a good weather and good pacers. Does Beppu have enough of those?
Brett Larner said…
I don't really see him getting the NR in Beppu-Oita, but I would guess the primary goal is getting his MGC qualification sealed up.
Anonymous said…
Thanks for your answer!

Most-Read This Week

Endo, Nishikawa and Yamakawa Announce Corporate Team Changes

The SG Holdings men's corporate team announced on Oct. 1 that long-distance athletes Hyuga Endo and Yuichiro Nishikawa have joined its roster after leaving the Sumitomo Denko team. Endo, 28, won the Junior Olympics 3000 m while at Koriyama Nishi J.H.S. before going on to Gakuho Ishikawa H.S. where he was the the top Japanese placer in the 5000 m at the National High School Championships 2 years in a row. After graduating from Gakuho Ishikawa he joined the Sumitomo Denko team, winning the National Championships 5000 m in 2021. He won gold at the 2023 Asian Championships and represented Japan at the 2022 and 2023 World Championships. "I will give everything I have as part of the team and work hard toward helping it win the New Year Ekiden," he said of his new environment. Of his personal goals he said, "I want to focus on the 5000 m and reach new levels to compete internationally." Nishikawa, 28, was a member of Tokai University 's winning teams at the H...

3 Athletes Provisionally Suspended After Positive Drug Tests at Asian Games (updated)

The International Testing Agency announced on Oct. 2 that provisional suspensions have been imposed on two athletes, Kazakhstan's Aiana Bolatbekkyzy in track and field, and Tajikistan's Issamjon Sharifov in tennis, after they tested positive for prohibited substances at the Asian Games in Nagoya, Aichi. Bolatbekkyzy, 19, tested positive for the steroid drostanolone in a sample collected during an in-competition test at the Games. A diuretic drug was found in the sample collected from Sharifov, 23. Update:  On Oct. 3 a third athlete, kurash wrestler Yash Kumar Chauhan  of India, was provisionally suspended after an in-competition test detected the steroid metandienone, the metabolic modulator GW1516, and the stimulant mephentermine in his system. source article: https://www.sanspo.com/article/20261002-X4FJLT5MMZKFND6WXPOESAKETQ/ translated by Brett Larner