Skip to main content

Japanese Athletes in Action on Tokyo World Championships Day 9


This will be easy. Japan closes out its home soil World Athletics Championships with one last race, and one of its traditionally strong ones, the men's 4x100 m relay.

21:20 - Men's 4x100 m Relay Final

Prognosis: This is the entry pool:

Abdul Hakim Sani Brown (Toray) - 9.96 (+0.5) - 4th, Heat 7, Nationals
Yoshihide Kiryu (Nihon Seimei) - 9.99 (+1.5) - 1st, Nationals
Yuhi Mori (Daito Bunka Univ.) - 10.00 (+1.3) - 7th, Nationals
Hiroki Yanagita (Toyo Univ.) - 10.00 (+0.3) - DQ, Nationals
Sorato Shimizu (Seiryo H.S.) - 10.00 (+1.7) - 4th, SF3, Nationals
Yuki Koike (Sumitomo Denko) - 10.08 (+0.3) - 5th, Nationals
Naoki Inoue (Waseda Univ.) - 10.12 (+0.4) - 4th, Nationals
Naoki Okami (Aomori Pref. Gov't) 10.17 (+0.9) - 2nd, Nationals
Towa Uzawa (JAL) - 20.11 (+0.9) - 1st, Nationals

In the individual 100 m Sani Brown confirmed that he wasn't anywhere close to peak form, and he was left off the 4x100 m team in the relay heats. The lineup there, Koike, Yanagita, Kiryu and Uzawa, ran a 38.07 for 3rd in their heat to make the final, lucking out a bit in South Africa and Great Britain both self-eliminating from the same heat, and a little more with Jamaica not making it out of the other heat. Koike was arguably the weak link on the team on paper, but he still ran well enough to get the job done. The question is what lineup changes might happen to try to get the extra bit they'll need to move up 2 places in the final.

text and photo © 2025 Brett Larner, all rights reserved

Buy Me A Coffee

Comments

Anonymous said…
I agree they need to find something extra for a medal though the Jamaica being out helps a lot. And in the final you never knows who misses an exchange.

That said, I'm not sure what they could do. If I'm allowed, I'll give some exemples with the splits.
I don't know how reliable the single splits are but it seems like Kiryu was one of the worst of the 3rd section and Yanagita was ok but a bit too slower than the medal contenders. Uzawa had the best 4th section (ok Lyles and Thompson weren't there but that's not the point), Koike had an average first section.

Compared to their SB at the world relay, the big difference is that Uzawa ran the third section there, 9,19 vs 9.50 ran today by Kyriu. Sani Brown ran a much slower than Koike (10.54 vs 10.38)while Atago and Inoue ran pretty much the same that today Yanagita and Uzawa today.

That said, I have no idea what they practiced and if they are open to change (I doubt it) but what I'd notice is: Uzawa ran 9.19 at the Worlds and that was an elite time. You don't swap someone running the third section with that split out, it's a difference maker towards the field (beside US and Jamaica).

I'd say you could make a case to put Uzawa in 3rd, keep Koike or push Kiryu in first, keep Yanagita in second and put Inoue back in the 4th.
The outsider could be Shimizu since he runs both 100&200, they could try and make a 3rd&4th section with him and Uzawa, whatever order they like (If I have someone running the 3rd section as good as Uzawa I'm leaving it there).

I doubt there will be changes, they likely will go with a more risky approach at the exchange points and take it from there but i think anaylising data the changes I suggested could make sense, if they ever prepared for a similar scenario. Though from what I read pre world championship is they were dead set on Kiryu 3rd and Uzawa 4th. If they want to go down that route again they need a perfect start from Koike something more from Yanagita (don't think he has that vs elite runners), at least 0.15 better from Kiryu and better last 20 meters from Uzawa with perfect exchanges.
It's a lot to ask but the relay is unpredictable, I hope they pull something great off as my national team (Italy)is out.

Most-Read This Week

Asian Games Preview - Entries, Timetable and Live Results

Back in Japan for the first time in 32 years and representing 60% of the world's population, with more athletes competing across all sports than at the Olympics, the Aichi-Nagoya Asian Games are already underway. Athletics competition starts tomorrow and runs through Tuesday the 29th. Some of the biggest names on the entry list include: Rumesh Tharanga Pathirage (SRI) - men's javelin throw - 2026 World Ultimate Championships gold and 2026 Diamond League champion Haruka Kitaguchi (JPN) - women's javelin throw - 2026 World Ultimate Championships and 2024 Paris Olympics gold Birhanu Balew (BRN) - men's 5000 m/10000 m - 2026 Diamond League 5000 m champion Sanghyeok Woo (KOR) - men's high jump - 2025 Tokyo World Championships silver Hayato Katsuki (JPN) - men's marathon race walk - 2025 Tokyo World Championships bronze Abderrahman Samba (QAT) - men's 400 mH - 2025 Tokyo World Championships bronze Jiale Zhang (CHN) - women's hammer throw - 2025 Tokyo W...

Endo, Nishikawa and Yamakawa Announce Corporate Team Changes

The SG Holdings men's corporate team announced on Oct. 1 that long-distance athletes Hyuga Endo and Yuichiro Nishikawa have joined its roster after leaving the Sumitomo Denko team. Endo, 28, won the Junior Olympics 3000 m while at Koriyama Nishi J.H.S. before going on to Gakuho Ishikawa H.S. where he was the the top Japanese placer in the 5000 m at the National High School Championships 2 years in a row. After graduating from Gakuho Ishikawa he joined the Sumitomo Denko team, winning the National Championships 5000 m in 2021. He won gold at the 2023 Asian Championships and represented Japan at the 2022 and 2023 World Championships. "I will give everything I have as part of the team and work hard toward helping it win the New Year Ekiden," he said of his new environment. Of his personal goals he said, "I want to focus on the 5000 m and reach new levels to compete internationally." Nishikawa, 28, was a member of Tokai University 's winning teams at the H...

2 Athletes Provisionally Suspended After Positive Drug Tests at Asian Games

The International Testing Agency announced on Oct. 2 that provisional suspensions have been imposed on two athletes, Kazakhstan's Aiana Bolatbekkyzy in track and field, and Tajikistan's Issamjon Sharifov in tennis, after they tested positive for prohibited substances at the Asian Games in Nagoya, Aichi. Bolatbekkyzy, 19, tested positive for the steroid drostanolone in a sample collected during an in-competition test at the Games. A diuretic drug was found in the sample collected from Sharifov, 23. source article: https://www.sanspo.com/article/20261002-X4FJLT5MMZKFND6WXPOESAKETQ/ translated by Brett Larner