Skip to main content

Mizuki Matsuda Going for Tokyo Worlds In Osaka : "I'm Going to Give It Everything That I Still Have"


A year out from her disappointing finish at the 2024 Osaka International Women's Marathon, 29-year-old Mizuki Matsuda (Daihatsu) returns to race it again this Sunday. "A place on the Tokyo World Championships team is on the line," she says. "I'm running to try to get name on the list."

Last year Matsuda finished 3rd, her first time not winning it in 4 Osaka Women's starts and putting an end to her dream of making the Paris Olympics. Matsuda couldn't follow when Honami Maeda (Tenmaya) took off at halfway. "There goes my Olympics...." she says she thought as she watched Maeda pull away. Post-race she immediately started thinking about retiring, telling herself, "You put up a good fight." But 2 weeks later when she appeared as a special guest at the Ehime Marathon the words of encouragement she got from the mass-participation runners there spoke to her. "I'd never realized that I was an athlete that so many people cared about," she said. The experience convinced her to give it another go.

Her coach Miwako Yamanaka was supportive too, telling her, "I quit because I had come to hate running and track and field. I want you to still have a love for it when you decide to stop." With a new determination, Matsuda ran September's Berlin Marathon where she set a lifetime PB of 2:20:42. The feeling of joy in the act of running and the sense of fulfillment afterward was something she hadn't felt since winning her debut marathon at the 2018 Osaka International Women's Marathon. "I never thought I could feel that way," she says. "I'm glad I worked hard for it."

Matsuda says the 2028 Los Angeles Olympics are not on her long-range radar. "It would be extremely draining personally, and it's not something I want to think about." But September's Tokyo World Championships are perfectly positioned. Starting and finishing at the Tokyo national stadium like the qualifying race for the 2021 Tokyo Olympics did amps up her motivation. "When I was shooting for the Tokyo Olympics the chance to run a race starting and finishing at the National Stadium was inspiring," she says. "It's not like I want payback this time for having missed it, but I do want to get the chance to run a race there wearing the Rising Sun colors."

Matsuda is clear about her choice to go for the Tokyo Worlds team in her hometown. "There's no place I would have chosen other than Osaka," she says. "I'm going to give it everything that I still have in me." The Osaka International Women's Marathon happens this Sunday, Jan. 26 at 12:15 p.m. Fuji TV will broadcast the race live starting at 12:00.

source article:

Comments

Most-Read This Week

Asian Games Preview - Entries, Timetable and Live Results

Back in Japan for the first time in 32 years and representing 60% of the world's population, with more athletes competing across all sports than at the Olympics, the Aichi-Nagoya Asian Games are already underway. Athletics competition starts tomorrow and runs through Tuesday the 29th. Some of the biggest names on the entry list include: Rumesh Tharanga Pathirage (SRI) - men's javelin throw - 2026 World Ultimate Championships gold and 2026 Diamond League champion Haruka Kitaguchi (JPN) - women's javelin throw - 2026 World Ultimate Championships and 2024 Paris Olympics gold Birhanu Balew (BRN) - men's 5000 m/10000 m - 2026 Diamond League 5000 m champion Sanghyeok Woo (KOR) - men's high jump - 2025 Tokyo World Championships silver Hayato Katsuki (JPN) - men's marathon race walk - 2025 Tokyo World Championships bronze Abderrahman Samba (QAT) - men's 400 mH - 2025 Tokyo World Championships bronze Jiale Zhang (CHN) - women's hammer throw - 2025 Tokyo W...

Endo, Nishikawa and Yamakawa Announce Corporate Team Changes

The SG Holdings men's corporate team announced on Oct. 1 that long-distance athletes Hyuga Endo and Yuichiro Nishikawa have joined its roster after leaving the Sumitomo Denko team. Endo, 28, won the Junior Olympics 3000 m while at Koriyama Nishi J.H.S. before going on to Gakuho Ishikawa H.S. where he was the the top Japanese placer in the 5000 m at the National High School Championships 2 years in a row. After graduating from Gakuho Ishikawa he joined the Sumitomo Denko team, winning the National Championships 5000 m in 2021. He won gold at the 2023 Asian Championships and represented Japan at the 2022 and 2023 World Championships. "I will give everything I have as part of the team and work hard toward helping it win the New Year Ekiden," he said of his new environment. Of his personal goals he said, "I want to focus on the 5000 m and reach new levels to compete internationally." Nishikawa, 28, was a member of Tokai University 's winning teams at the H...

2 Athletes Provisionally Suspended After Positive Drug Tests at Asian Games

The International Testing Agency announced on Oct. 2 that provisional suspensions have been imposed on two athletes, Kazakhstan's Aiana Bolatbekkyzy in track and field, and Tajikistan's Issamjon Sharifov in tennis, after they tested positive for prohibited substances at the Asian Games in Nagoya, Aichi. Bolatbekkyzy, 19, tested positive for the steroid drostanolone in a sample collected during an in-competition test at the Games. A diuretic drug was found in the sample collected from Sharifov, 23. source article: https://www.sanspo.com/article/20261002-X4FJLT5MMZKFND6WXPOESAKETQ/ translated by Brett Larner