Skip to main content

Akimu Nomura Named Hakone Ekiden MVP After Sixth Stage CR

 

At the closing ceremony of the 101st Hakone Ekiden on Jan. 3 at the Yomiuri Newspaper building in Otemachi, Tokyo, Akimu Nomura was named MVP of this year's race for his role in helping Aoyama Gakuin University score it 2nd-straight course record win. Nomura became the first runner ever to break 57 minutes on the 20.8 km downhill Sixth Stage, setting a new CR of 56:47, and was also awarded the Shizo Kanakuri award for exceptional performance and potential.

The MVP award is new this year and goes to the outstanding member of the winning team, while the Kanakuri award has been in place since the 80th edition in 2004. The winners of both awards were determined by the KGRR selection committee led by Yasushi Ueda.

Nomura told media, "To be honest I didn't think they'd give me both. I would have been happy with either, so I'm really, really happy. When the team started training in April after the 100th last year I said I was going to go for 56 minutes, but it seemed like a fantasy when I said it. From around 15 to 18 km I started thinking, 'There's still 6 km left, 5 km left....' It really felt long. I got blisters on the bottom of my left and it really hurt."

Of his goals post-graduation Nomura said, "I'm going to continue as a corporate league runner, and I'm going to mainly focus on the 5000 m. I want to develop enough to make the podium at the National Championships."

source article:


Comments

Most-Read This Week

Asian Games Preview - Entries, Timetable and Live Results

Back in Japan for the first time in 32 years and representing 60% of the world's population, with more athletes competing across all sports than at the Olympics, the Aichi-Nagoya Asian Games are already underway. Athletics competition starts tomorrow and runs through Tuesday the 29th. Some of the biggest names on the entry list include: Rumesh Tharanga Pathirage (SRI) - men's javelin throw - 2026 World Ultimate Championships gold and 2026 Diamond League champion Haruka Kitaguchi (JPN) - women's javelin throw - 2026 World Ultimate Championships and 2024 Paris Olympics gold Birhanu Balew (BRN) - men's 5000 m/10000 m - 2026 Diamond League 5000 m champion Sanghyeok Woo (KOR) - men's high jump - 2025 Tokyo World Championships silver Hayato Katsuki (JPN) - men's marathon race walk - 2025 Tokyo World Championships bronze Abderrahman Samba (QAT) - men's 400 mH - 2025 Tokyo World Championships bronze Jiale Zhang (CHN) - women's hammer throw - 2025 Tokyo W...

Endo, Nishikawa and Yamakawa Announce Corporate Team Changes

The SG Holdings men's corporate team announced on Oct. 1 that long-distance athletes Hyuga Endo and Yuichiro Nishikawa have joined its roster after leaving the Sumitomo Denko team. Endo, 28, won the Junior Olympics 3000 m while at Koriyama Nishi J.H.S. before going on to Gakuho Ishikawa H.S. where he was the the top Japanese placer in the 5000 m at the National High School Championships 2 years in a row. After graduating from Gakuho Ishikawa he joined the Sumitomo Denko team, winning the National Championships 5000 m in 2021. He won gold at the 2023 Asian Championships and represented Japan at the 2022 and 2023 World Championships. "I will give everything I have as part of the team and work hard toward helping it win the New Year Ekiden," he said of his new environment. Of his personal goals he said, "I want to focus on the 5000 m and reach new levels to compete internationally." Nishikawa, 28, was a member of Tokai University 's winning teams at the H...

2 Athletes Provisionally Suspended After Positive Drug Tests at Asian Games

The International Testing Agency announced on Oct. 2 that provisional suspensions have been imposed on two athletes, Kazakhstan's Aiana Bolatbekkyzy in track and field, and Tajikistan's Issamjon Sharifov in tennis, after they tested positive for prohibited substances at the Asian Games in Nagoya, Aichi. Bolatbekkyzy, 19, tested positive for the steroid drostanolone in a sample collected during an in-competition test at the Games. A diuretic drug was found in the sample collected from Sharifov, 23. source article: https://www.sanspo.com/article/20261002-X4FJLT5MMZKFND6WXPOESAKETQ/ translated by Brett Larner