Skip to main content

Rio Olympian Kitajima Retires from Yasukawa Denki as London Olympian Nakamoto Becomes Head Coach



The Yasukawa Denki men's corporate team has announced that four of its members including 2016 Rio de Janeiro Olympics marathoner Hisanori Kitajima, 38, are retiring. Kitajima won the Hakone Ekiden's Eighth Stage his fourth year at Toyo University. He finished 2nd as the top Japanese man at the 2016 Lake Biwa Mainichi Marathon to qualify for the Rio Olympics, where he placed 94th.

In comments Kitajima said, "The last few years I've felt my body deteriorating day by day, and it was frustrating not to be able to do the kind of training and aggressive racing I used to. But that made me change the way I approached racing, and to approach it with more thought and craft. I learned new things and changed my way of thinking, and as I got older I found a new kind of enjoyment and satisfaction in racing. Part of that was being called a veteran, which felt like some kind of persona. It made me want to compete with the 'veterans' from other teams, and that came to be a motivation of its own. I couldn't think of any reason I'd want to retire from that.

But this season I've felt a kind of pressure from seeing how well some of the other veterans on other teams are still doing at this age. When I started to feel like I couldn't compete with them any more, I began to feel like maybe it was time to retire. I decided that the 2023 New Year Ekiden would be the end of the road. Unfortunately I didn't make the starting team, but even so I still feel like I've accomplished what I set out to do. 

I was able to come this far because a lot of people gave me their support. It was very rewarding. I had a sense of purpose as an athlete right up to the very end, and it let me have a truly fulfilling life as an athlete. I thank you all. I hope you'll all keep supporting the Yasukawa Denki Team."


The same day, Yasukawa Denki also announced that 2012 London Olympics 6th placer Kentaro Nakamoto, 40, has been named its new head coach. Previous head coach Naoki Yamagashira will move into a management role with the team. A native of Yamaguchi prefecture, Nakamoto joined Yasukawa Denki in 2005 after graduating from Takushoku University. He never had much distinction as an ekiden or track runner, but starting with his 3rd place finish at the 2008 Nobeoka Nishi Nihon Marathon he showed his true colors in the marathon.

Nakamoto made three World Championships teams in the marathon, finishing in the top 10 each time capped by a 5th-place finish at the 2013 Moscow World Championships. At the 2012 London Olympics he ran a memorably strong race to finish 6th. In 2017 he won the Beppu-Oita Mainichi Marathon at age 34. At the 2019 MGC Race Olympic marathon trials Nakamoto placed 8th at the age of 36. After retiring in 2021 he joined the Yasukawa Denki coaching staff.

source articles:
translated and edited by Brett Larner

Buy Me A Coffee

Comments

Most-Read This Week

Asian Games Preview - Entries, Timetable and Live Results

Back in Japan for the first time in 32 years and representing 60% of the world's population, with more athletes competing across all sports than at the Olympics, the Aichi-Nagoya Asian Games are already underway. Athletics competition starts tomorrow and runs through Tuesday the 29th. Some of the biggest names on the entry list include: Rumesh Tharanga Pathirage (SRI) - men's javelin throw - 2026 World Ultimate Championships gold and 2026 Diamond League champion Haruka Kitaguchi (JPN) - women's javelin throw - 2026 World Ultimate Championships and 2024 Paris Olympics gold Birhanu Balew (BRN) - men's 5000 m/10000 m - 2026 Diamond League 5000 m champion Sanghyeok Woo (KOR) - men's high jump - 2025 Tokyo World Championships silver Hayato Katsuki (JPN) - men's marathon race walk - 2025 Tokyo World Championships bronze Abderrahman Samba (QAT) - men's 400 mH - 2025 Tokyo World Championships bronze Jiale Zhang (CHN) - women's hammer throw - 2025 Tokyo W...

Endo, Nishikawa and Yamakawa Announce Corporate Team Changes

The SG Holdings men's corporate team announced on Oct. 1 that long-distance athletes Hyuga Endo and Yuichiro Nishikawa have joined its roster after leaving the Sumitomo Denko team. Endo, 28, won the Junior Olympics 3000 m while at Koriyama Nishi J.H.S. before going on to Gakuho Ishikawa H.S. where he was the the top Japanese placer in the 5000 m at the National High School Championships 2 years in a row. After graduating from Gakuho Ishikawa he joined the Sumitomo Denko team, winning the National Championships 5000 m in 2021. He won gold at the 2023 Asian Championships and represented Japan at the 2022 and 2023 World Championships. "I will give everything I have as part of the team and work hard toward helping it win the New Year Ekiden," he said of his new environment. Of his personal goals he said, "I want to focus on the 5000 m and reach new levels to compete internationally." Nishikawa, 28, was a member of Tokai University 's winning teams at the H...

2 Athletes Provisionally Suspended After Positive Drug Tests at Asian Games

The International Testing Agency announced on Oct. 2 that provisional suspensions have been imposed on two athletes, Kazakhstan's Aiana Bolatbekkyzy in track and field, and Tajikistan's Issamjon Sharifov in tennis, after they tested positive for prohibited substances at the Asian Games in Nagoya, Aichi. Bolatbekkyzy, 19, tested positive for the steroid drostanolone in a sample collected during an in-competition test at the Games. A diuretic drug was found in the sample collected from Sharifov, 23. source article: https://www.sanspo.com/article/20261002-X4FJLT5MMZKFND6WXPOESAKETQ/ translated by Brett Larner