Skip to main content

Mizuki Matsuda Announces Plans to Retire Soon to Have Children

The JAAF held an award ceremony for the Japan Marathon Championship Series II in Tokyo on Mar. 29. Mizuki Matsuda (Daihatsu) and Kenya Sonota (JR Higashi Nihon) were named the women's and men's series champions, earning 6,600,000 yen [~$50,000 USD] each, equal to the prize money for winning the World Marathon Majors series.

Matsuda told the media, "I was 2nd last year, so to be the winner this year honestly makes me really happy." Matsuda will run the marathon at August's Budapest World Championships, then will double at the Oct. 15 MGC Race Paris Olympic marathon trials. She admitted that it's a tough schedule, but said, "Being able to compete at the top level of the sport is a great experience. I want to perform in the race that's closer on the horizon more than what's still further away, and that's why I wanted to do compete at the World Championships."

Matsuda's coach Miwako Yamanaka wanted her to only run the Olympic trials, but, said Matsuda, "I'm going to retire soon, so I want to show everyone who supports me that I always challenge myself and never leave any regrets, right up to the very end." Asked why she's planning to retire, Matsuda, 27, answered, "I want to have three kids, so in terms of age I feel like it's probably just about time to stop." JAAF marathon boss Toshihiko Seko called out, "Keep going til you're 40!" but Matsuda just laughed and said, "Motion rejected!"

At the MGC, Matsuda said, "It would be awesome if I could win it and make the Olympic team."

source article:
translated and edited by Brett Larner

photo © 2022 Brett Larner, all rights reserved

Buy Me A Coffee

Comments

Stefan said…
Congrats to her for winning the championship series and receiving a much deserved pay day. I'm glad she explained her reasons for competing in both races. I wish her the very best. She has been an excellent consistent competitor in recent years and so perhaps if anyone can pull this off she can. Her "Motion rejected!" remark made me laugh. When she does retire, her engaging personality will be missed.

Now I'm immediately thinking perhaps her peer, Mao Ichiyama has similar thoughts regarding retirement? It's much more difficult for women! Both are in very similar situations being recently married, although Ichiyama is only 25. Perhaps after the Paris Olympics if she qualifies? That would make 2 consecutive Olympic Games for her.

Of course, both could still make a comeback after having children and follow in the footsteps of Australia's Sinead Diver! 2 children, 46 years old and still running 2:21.34 last year! Or locally, looking at Sairi Maeda, who is a mother, 31 years old and ran 2:25.24 in Osaka this year and is MGC Race bound too!

Most-Read This Week

Asian Games Preview - Entries, Timetable and Live Results

Back in Japan for the first time in 32 years and representing 60% of the world's population, with more athletes competing across all sports than at the Olympics, the Aichi-Nagoya Asian Games are already underway. Athletics competition starts tomorrow and runs through Tuesday the 29th. Some of the biggest names on the entry list include: Rumesh Tharanga Pathirage (SRI) - men's javelin throw - 2026 World Ultimate Championships gold and 2026 Diamond League champion Haruka Kitaguchi (JPN) - women's javelin throw - 2026 World Ultimate Championships and 2024 Paris Olympics gold Birhanu Balew (BRN) - men's 5000 m/10000 m - 2026 Diamond League 5000 m champion Sanghyeok Woo (KOR) - men's high jump - 2025 Tokyo World Championships silver Hayato Katsuki (JPN) - men's marathon race walk - 2025 Tokyo World Championships bronze Abderrahman Samba (QAT) - men's 400 mH - 2025 Tokyo World Championships bronze Jiale Zhang (CHN) - women's hammer throw - 2025 Tokyo W...

Endo, Nishikawa and Yamakawa Announce Corporate Team Changes

The SG Holdings men's corporate team announced on Oct. 1 that long-distance athletes Hyuga Endo and Yuichiro Nishikawa have joined its roster after leaving the Sumitomo Denko team. Endo, 28, won the Junior Olympics 3000 m while at Koriyama Nishi J.H.S. before going on to Gakuho Ishikawa H.S. where he was the the top Japanese placer in the 5000 m at the National High School Championships 2 years in a row. After graduating from Gakuho Ishikawa he joined the Sumitomo Denko team, winning the National Championships 5000 m in 2021. He won gold at the 2023 Asian Championships and represented Japan at the 2022 and 2023 World Championships. "I will give everything I have as part of the team and work hard toward helping it win the New Year Ekiden," he said of his new environment. Of his personal goals he said, "I want to focus on the 5000 m and reach new levels to compete internationally." Nishikawa, 28, was a member of Tokai University 's winning teams at the H...

2 Athletes Provisionally Suspended After Positive Drug Tests at Asian Games

The International Testing Agency announced on Oct. 2 that provisional suspensions have been imposed on two athletes, Kazakhstan's Aiana Bolatbekkyzy in track and field, and Tajikistan's Issamjon Sharifov in tennis, after they tested positive for prohibited substances at the Asian Games in Nagoya, Aichi. Bolatbekkyzy, 19, tested positive for the steroid drostanolone in a sample collected during an in-competition test at the Games. A diuretic drug was found in the sample collected from Sharifov, 23. source article: https://www.sanspo.com/article/20261002-X4FJLT5MMZKFND6WXPOESAKETQ/ translated by Brett Larner