Skip to main content

H.S. 5000 m NR Holder Hiroto Yoshioka Recovering From World XC Collapse


13:22.99 high school boys' 5000 m national record holder Hiroto Yoshioka, a 3rd-year at Nagano's Saku Chosei H.S., talked to the media for the first time after returning from the Feb. 18 World Cross Country Championships in Bathurst, Australia. "I can't say everything is back to normal, but I'm getting better bit by bit," he said.

In high temperatures at World XC Yoshioka ran an aggressive race against the international field, only to collapse right before the finish. "I was really flying, a lot more than usual, and I could feel it was really physically demanding," he said. "I thought I had crossed the finish line, but the line where I collapsed was actually the start line. People around me were shouting, 'You're not done!'" Unable to move his legs, he used his arms to inch forward feet-first.

He instinctively felt he had reached the finish line and collapsed again, this time for good. But, he admitted, "Since I was going feet-first I don't have any memory of seeing the finish line." The next thing he did remember was being in an indoor ice bath. His finish was ruled a DNF, his feet having touched the leading edge of the finish line mat but short of the actual timing line.

Yoshioka's body temperature was very high, and he was diagnosed to have suffered heat stroke. He flew back to Japan two days later and was taken straight to the hospital for further examination. The diagnosis was that his condition was mild, and with a smile he said, "I took the next day off, walked on the 22nd, and starting jogging again on the 23rd."

Yoshioka is a product of Saku Chosei H.S., famous for producing top domestic talent like Yuki Sato and Suguru Osako. As a 1st-year he ran 13:50.27, then 13:38.96 as a 2nd-year, before setting his 13:22.99 high school record his final year. Along with his athletic achievements, Yoshioka excels as a student and character. "There are no cracks in his armor," said Saku Chosei head coach Masaru Takamizawa.

Yoshioka has already moved out of the Saku Chosei dorm and started training at Juntendo University, where he will start his collegiate career in April. "The training plan is totally different from what I did in high school, and it's taking time to get used to," he said. "I'm sore every day." Along with the high-level workouts, he is already learning a lot from talking to Juntendo's world-class 3000 m steeplechase specialist Ryuji Miura, who starts his final year in April. "He's told me a lot about what it's like at big international competitions, and said that if anything every comes up I can always go to him," Yoshioka said. Their college careers will only overlap for one year, but it will be a time of intense learning.

Yoshioka's main goal for the year is making this summer's Budapest World Championships. The qualifying time is 13:07.00, faster than Osako's 13:08.40 NR. But Yoshioka's ambitions are even higher. "Some day I want to break the NR and run 12 minutes." He knows his first year of college will be a tough transition, but, Yoshioka said, "There are world-level competitions next year and beyond too, so I want to prioritize focusing on the process of making national teams."

If he recovers from World XC in time Yoshioka plans to run a 3000 m at the end of March. If he makes it, it will be his last race wearing Saku Chosei's famous orange uniform. Up til now he has mostly raced other high schoolers, but from now on his competition will be top-class seniors. "I hope that these high-level races will help me understand how I can improve my own performance, and that that will lead to better things," he said. Having already rewritten the high school record books, Yoshioka will take the next step on that road at Juntendo come April.

source article:
translated by Brett Larner

Buy Me A Coffee

Comments

Most-Read This Week

Endo, Nishikawa and Yamakawa Announce Corporate Team Changes

The SG Holdings men's corporate team announced on Oct. 1 that long-distance athletes Hyuga Endo and Yuichiro Nishikawa have joined its roster after leaving the Sumitomo Denko team. Endo, 28, won the Junior Olympics 3000 m while at Koriyama Nishi J.H.S. before going on to Gakuho Ishikawa H.S. where he was the the top Japanese placer in the 5000 m at the National High School Championships 2 years in a row. After graduating from Gakuho Ishikawa he joined the Sumitomo Denko team, winning the National Championships 5000 m in 2021. He won gold at the 2023 Asian Championships and represented Japan at the 2022 and 2023 World Championships. "I will give everything I have as part of the team and work hard toward helping it win the New Year Ekiden," he said of his new environment. Of his personal goals he said, "I want to focus on the 5000 m and reach new levels to compete internationally." Nishikawa, 28, was a member of Tokai University 's winning teams at the H...

3 Athletes Provisionally Suspended After Positive Drug Tests at Asian Games (updated)

The International Testing Agency announced on Oct. 2 that provisional suspensions have been imposed on two athletes, Kazakhstan's Aiana Bolatbekkyzy in track and field, and Tajikistan's Issamjon Sharifov in tennis, after they tested positive for prohibited substances at the Asian Games in Nagoya, Aichi. Bolatbekkyzy, 19, tested positive for the steroid drostanolone in a sample collected during an in-competition test at the Games. A diuretic drug was found in the sample collected from Sharifov, 23. Update:  On Oct. 3 a third athlete, kurash wrestler Yash Kumar Chauhan  of India, was provisionally suspended after an in-competition test detected the steroid metandienone, the metabolic modulator GW1516, and the stimulant mephentermine in his system. source article: https://www.sanspo.com/article/20261002-X4FJLT5MMZKFND6WXPOESAKETQ/ translated by Brett Larner