Skip to main content

Akiyama, Omi and Otagiri Win Ueda Vertical Race and Sky Race


Part of the 2022 Skyrunner Japan Series (SJS), the Ueda Vertical Race and Ueda Sky Race took place May 3 and 4 in Ueda, Nagano. Put on by the Japan Skyrunning Association, SJS is the peak of the domestic mountain running circuit. Founded in 2015 and now in its 8th season, the series has made a fresh start with the Swiss company Norqain as its official timekeeper.

The first day of racing featured the Ueda Vertical Race, 5 km with 1000 m of climb. Honoka Akiyama won the women's race in 54:31, Karen Kobayashi taking 2nd and Suzuha Kusuda (Team Sky Kyoto) 3rd. In the men's race Ryunsoke Omi (Team Sky Kyoto) took the top spot in 43:47, with Tomofumi Miyagawa 2nd and Miki Ushida 3rd.

The 2021 National Sky Champion, Akiyama joined last year's SJS during its 2nd half. Ueda was her 5th win, 3 of which came in Vertical Kilometer races. "I'd been targeting the course record of 49:54 (set in 2017 by Yuri Yoshizumi), but I wasn't even close," she said post-race. "I'm disappointed that I didn't have it in me. I'll be pretty tired for the Sky Race tomorrow, so while I'll be hoping to win my main goal will be to finish it."

Omi, the 2021 men's National Sky Champion, scored his first win the Vertical Kilometer series and second SJS win. "My goal was to break Ruy Ueda's 42:02 course record," he said. "I don't know if I'm not strong enough to get it or just couldn't get close on the day, so even though I got my first win of the season that was an issue for me. Overall I'm planning to spend about half the season overseas, with about 3 months on the European circuit in the first half of the year. But I also want to run the Youth World Championships, so I want to run my races before that in a way that'll help me be ready to represent."


On the second day of racing, Akiyama pulled off the double with a 4:22:59 win in the Ueda Sky Race, 25 km with 3000 m of elevation change. Kusuda was 2nd, with Ayaka Ueda (Ridgeline Osaka) taking 3rd. Shoma Otagiri was the men's winner in 3:47:56, Yamato Yoshino 2nd and Miyagawa 3rd.

For Akiyama it was a 6th-straight win following her Vertical victory the day before. "When there aren't any races it's hard to know where you really stand," she said. "I'm really grateful that this event was able to take place this year. I wasn't anywhere near the course record (4:09:17 by Takako Takamura in 2019), but I'll keep working to be able to represent Japan at the World Championships in Italy this September and to be up there among the world's best."

3rd in the 2021 National Sky Ultra, Otagiri scored his 2nd SJS win. "I ran with Miyagawa over the first half and we got into a good rhythm, so my legs were still fresh in the second half" he said. "Instead of trying to be out front I just concentrated on trying to run up to my ability, and eventually Yamato, who was leading, started to fade. I was pretty lucky to win, so I don't want to make too much out of it and just stay focused on running longer races to get ready for the World Championships in September."

The SJS now moves to the Kanto Region. The next race in the series will be the Tokyo Vertical Race June 5 in Hinohara, Tokyo, followed a week later by the Tsumagoi Sky Run in Tsumagoi, Gunma. Entries for both races are still open. You can look forward to seeing the country's best Sky Runners aiming for the top!

source article:
translated by Brett Larner

Buy Me A Coffee

Comments

Most-Read This Week

Asian Games Preview - Entries, Timetable and Live Results

Back in Japan for the first time in 32 years and representing 60% of the world's population, with more athletes competing across all sports than at the Olympics, the Aichi-Nagoya Asian Games are already underway. Athletics competition starts tomorrow and runs through Tuesday the 29th. Some of the biggest names on the entry list include: Rumesh Tharanga Pathirage (SRI) - men's javelin throw - 2026 World Ultimate Championships gold and 2026 Diamond League champion Haruka Kitaguchi (JPN) - women's javelin throw - 2026 World Ultimate Championships and 2024 Paris Olympics gold Birhanu Balew (BRN) - men's 5000 m/10000 m - 2026 Diamond League 5000 m champion Sanghyeok Woo (KOR) - men's high jump - 2025 Tokyo World Championships silver Hayato Katsuki (JPN) - men's marathon race walk - 2025 Tokyo World Championships bronze Abderrahman Samba (QAT) - men's 400 mH - 2025 Tokyo World Championships bronze Jiale Zhang (CHN) - women's hammer throw - 2025 Tokyo W...

Endo, Nishikawa and Yamakawa Announce Corporate Team Changes

The SG Holdings men's corporate team announced on Oct. 1 that long-distance athletes Hyuga Endo and Yuichiro Nishikawa have joined its roster after leaving the Sumitomo Denko team. Endo, 28, won the Junior Olympics 3000 m while at Koriyama Nishi J.H.S. before going on to Gakuho Ishikawa H.S. where he was the the top Japanese placer in the 5000 m at the National High School Championships 2 years in a row. After graduating from Gakuho Ishikawa he joined the Sumitomo Denko team, winning the National Championships 5000 m in 2021. He won gold at the 2023 Asian Championships and represented Japan at the 2022 and 2023 World Championships. "I will give everything I have as part of the team and work hard toward helping it win the New Year Ekiden," he said of his new environment. Of his personal goals he said, "I want to focus on the 5000 m and reach new levels to compete internationally." Nishikawa, 28, was a member of Tokai University 's winning teams at the H...

2 Athletes Provisionally Suspended After Positive Drug Tests at Asian Games

The International Testing Agency announced on Oct. 2 that provisional suspensions have been imposed on two athletes, Kazakhstan's Aiana Bolatbekkyzy in track and field, and Tajikistan's Issamjon Sharifov in tennis, after they tested positive for prohibited substances at the Asian Games in Nagoya, Aichi. Bolatbekkyzy, 19, tested positive for the steroid drostanolone in a sample collected during an in-competition test at the Games. A diuretic drug was found in the sample collected from Sharifov, 23. source article: https://www.sanspo.com/article/20261002-X4FJLT5MMZKFND6WXPOESAKETQ/ translated by Brett Larner