Skip to main content

First Japan Marathon Championship Series Winners Awarded $165,000


On Mar. 31 the JAAF recognized the winners of the new Japan Marathon Championship Series I at an award ceremony in Tokyo. Marathoners were scored on their best two performances from December, 2020 through March, 2022, with preference given to results from domestic races. The overall #1-ranked woman and man were named to Japan's team for this summer's Oregon World Championships, with anyone in the top 8 who hadn't otherwise already qualified for next year's MGC Paris Olympic marathon trials given a place on the trials starting line.

A total prize pool of ¥20,000,000, roughly $165,000 USD at the current dismal exchange rate, was divided between the top three women and men, with the top-ranked athletes receiving ¥6,000,000, about $50,000, 2nd-place receiving ¥3,000,000, around $25,000, and 3rd-place ¥1,000,000, or $8,000.


Women-only NR holder and Tokyo Olympics 8th-placer Mao Ichiyama took 1st in the women's standings, Mizuki Matsuda 2nd and Mao Uesugi 3rd. Both Ichiyama and Matsuda were named to the Oregon team, with Uesugi picking up a place on September's Hangzhou Asian Games team. NR holder Kengo Suzuki was the men's winner, Kyohei Hosoya taking 2nd and 2020 Olympic alternate Shohei Otsuka 3rd. Suzuki joins his partner Ichiyama and Matsuda on the Oregon team, Hosoya headed instead for Hangzhou alongside Uesugi.

"I'm really happy to be the first winner," said Ichiyama. "I'm doing more strength training than I have in the past in order to improve my form, and in Oregon I'll be aiming to place better than at the Olympics." "Together we want to get even better and deliver an incredible run as a couple," added Suzuki. "To be honest I don't really think in terms of time goals and think it's more important to try to compete, but as a whole I think Japanese men should be targeting 2:03. I get injured a lot, and that's something I need to work on, but I won't be changing my approach for Worlds except to deal with heat."

Despite losing to Ichiyama by only 6 points Matsuda was all smiles, saying, "My goal was to make the World Championships team to get a chance to race against the best, and that's what I've done." Hosoya commented, "I'm disappointed that I wasn't picked for the Worlds team, but my road to the Olympics runs through the Asian Games and I'll be going for the win there." Otsuka, the only JMC podium placer not named to a national team, said, "I need to improve both my speed and stamina."

© 2022 Brett Larner, all rights reserved

Buy Me A Coffee

Comments

Most-Read This Week

Asian Games Preview - Entries, Timetable and Live Results

Back in Japan for the first time in 32 years and representing 60% of the world's population, with more athletes competing across all sports than at the Olympics, the Aichi-Nagoya Asian Games are already underway. Athletics competition starts tomorrow and runs through Tuesday the 29th. Some of the biggest names on the entry list include: Rumesh Tharanga Pathirage (SRI) - men's javelin throw - 2026 World Ultimate Championships gold and 2026 Diamond League champion Haruka Kitaguchi (JPN) - women's javelin throw - 2026 World Ultimate Championships and 2024 Paris Olympics gold Birhanu Balew (BRN) - men's 5000 m/10000 m - 2026 Diamond League 5000 m champion Sanghyeok Woo (KOR) - men's high jump - 2025 Tokyo World Championships silver Hayato Katsuki (JPN) - men's marathon race walk - 2025 Tokyo World Championships bronze Abderrahman Samba (QAT) - men's 400 mH - 2025 Tokyo World Championships bronze Jiale Zhang (CHN) - women's hammer throw - 2025 Tokyo W...

Endo, Nishikawa and Yamakawa Announce Corporate Team Changes

The SG Holdings men's corporate team announced on Oct. 1 that long-distance athletes Hyuga Endo and Yuichiro Nishikawa have joined its roster after leaving the Sumitomo Denko team. Endo, 28, won the Junior Olympics 3000 m while at Koriyama Nishi J.H.S. before going on to Gakuho Ishikawa H.S. where he was the the top Japanese placer in the 5000 m at the National High School Championships 2 years in a row. After graduating from Gakuho Ishikawa he joined the Sumitomo Denko team, winning the National Championships 5000 m in 2021. He won gold at the 2023 Asian Championships and represented Japan at the 2022 and 2023 World Championships. "I will give everything I have as part of the team and work hard toward helping it win the New Year Ekiden," he said of his new environment. Of his personal goals he said, "I want to focus on the 5000 m and reach new levels to compete internationally." Nishikawa, 28, was a member of Tokai University 's winning teams at the H...

2 Athletes Provisionally Suspended After Positive Drug Tests at Asian Games

The International Testing Agency announced on Oct. 2 that provisional suspensions have been imposed on two athletes, Kazakhstan's Aiana Bolatbekkyzy in track and field, and Tajikistan's Issamjon Sharifov in tennis, after they tested positive for prohibited substances at the Asian Games in Nagoya, Aichi. Bolatbekkyzy, 19, tested positive for the steroid drostanolone in a sample collected during an in-competition test at the Games. A diuretic drug was found in the sample collected from Sharifov, 23. source article: https://www.sanspo.com/article/20261002-X4FJLT5MMZKFND6WXPOESAKETQ/ translated by Brett Larner