Skip to main content

First Japan Marathon Championship Series Winners Awarded $165,000


On Mar. 31 the JAAF recognized the winners of the new Japan Marathon Championship Series I at an award ceremony in Tokyo. Marathoners were scored on their best two performances from December, 2020 through March, 2022, with preference given to results from domestic races. The overall #1-ranked woman and man were named to Japan's team for this summer's Oregon World Championships, with anyone in the top 8 who hadn't otherwise already qualified for next year's MGC Paris Olympic marathon trials given a place on the trials starting line.

A total prize pool of ¥20,000,000, roughly $165,000 USD at the current dismal exchange rate, was divided between the top three women and men, with the top-ranked athletes receiving ¥6,000,000, about $50,000, 2nd-place receiving ¥3,000,000, around $25,000, and 3rd-place ¥1,000,000, or $8,000.


Women-only NR holder and Tokyo Olympics 8th-placer Mao Ichiyama took 1st in the women's standings, Mizuki Matsuda 2nd and Mao Uesugi 3rd. Both Ichiyama and Matsuda were named to the Oregon team, with Uesugi picking up a place on September's Hangzhou Asian Games team. NR holder Kengo Suzuki was the men's winner, Kyohei Hosoya taking 2nd and 2020 Olympic alternate Shohei Otsuka 3rd. Suzuki joins his partner Ichiyama and Matsuda on the Oregon team, Hosoya headed instead for Hangzhou alongside Uesugi.

"I'm really happy to be the first winner," said Ichiyama. "I'm doing more strength training than I have in the past in order to improve my form, and in Oregon I'll be aiming to place better than at the Olympics." "Together we want to get even better and deliver an incredible run as a couple," added Suzuki. "To be honest I don't really think in terms of time goals and think it's more important to try to compete, but as a whole I think Japanese men should be targeting 2:03. I get injured a lot, and that's something I need to work on, but I won't be changing my approach for Worlds except to deal with heat."

Despite losing to Ichiyama by only 6 points Matsuda was all smiles, saying, "My goal was to make the World Championships team to get a chance to race against the best, and that's what I've done." Hosoya commented, "I'm disappointed that I wasn't picked for the Worlds team, but my road to the Olympics runs through the Asian Games and I'll be going for the win there." Otsuka, the only JMC podium placer not named to a national team, said, "I need to improve both my speed and stamina."

© 2022 Brett Larner, all rights reserved

Buy Me A Coffee

Comments

Most-Read This Week

Keita Satoh Running New Balance Fifth Avenue Mile

1500 m U20 NR holder Keita Satoh (Nike Swoosh TC) is running this weekend's New Balance Fifth Avenue Mile , the first time that a Japanese man has been invited in the race's 45-year history. In university Sato had to change focus away from middle distance to the half marathon-scale lengths of the Hakone Ekiden stages, but since graduating in March and relocating to Flagstaff he has refocused on the 1500 m, going from 3:43.19 in April in his first 1500 m in almost 4 years to 3:38.30 over the course of 5 races. Fifth Avenue will be his last race before heading back to Japan for one more track 1500 m and some down time. Men's entries with best 1500 m times in last 3 years: Stefan Nillessen (NED) - 3:29.23 (2025) Flavien Szot (FRA) - 3:30.74 (2025) Oliver Hoare (AUS) - 3:31.07 (2024) Jake Heyward (GBR) - 3:31.18 (2026) Titouan Le Grix (FRA) - 3:31.46 (2026) Romain Mornet (FRA) - 3:31.62 (2025) Adam Spencer (AUS) - 3:31.83 (2026) Pieter Sisk (BEL) - 3:31.85 (2025) Gary Martin (...

Multiple National Records This Weekend

Olympic and World champion Haruka Kitaguchi got the biggest headlines among Japanese athletes this weekend, overcoming a rough last year and a half that included injury and a coaching change to break her own javelin throw NR by over a meter and a half to win the inaugural WA Ultimate Championship in Budapest. U20 WR and Asian AR holder Ziyi Yan opened with a big 68.05, 0.67 m further than Kitaguchi's best-ever from back in 2023. That could have been the end, but Kitaguchi came back from a 61.15 m first attempt to throw a massive 68.92 m NR on her next one, ultimately enough for the win. She still has a long way to go to match the 18-year-old Yan's 71.74 m from May, but it was a clear statement that Kitaguchi is back. Back home at the National Corporate Track and Field Championships in Kyoto, women's pole vault NR holder Misaki Morota continued a solid comeback season of her own, bettering her NR from May by 1 cm with a 4.51 m on her first attempt. Morota took another 3...