Skip to main content

10000 m Medalists Hagiwara and Numata Retire


In a statement on their corporate team's website, Ayumi Hagiwara and Michi Numata announced that they are retiring from competition at the end of this month. 

Hagiwara, 29, is a native of Shizuoka. At Tokoha Kikugawa H.S. she ran in the National High School Ekiden, handling the First Stage. After graduating she joined the Uniqlo corporate team, then transferred to the Toyota Jidoshokki team in 2017. A track specialist with bests of 15:24.56 for 5000 m and 31:36.04 for 10000 m, in both 2013 and 2014 Hagiwara was 3rd in the National Championships 10000 m. In 2013 she won the bronze medal at that distance at the Asian Championships, and again in 2014 at the Asian Games. On Jan. 30 this year she was 15th at the Osaka International Women's Marathon, finishing in 2:34:14. 

In her statement Hagiwara wrote, "Even when I was injured and couldn't run the way I wanted, I always got support and encouragement from teammates and fans. You all really helped me keep going." On her Twitter account she added, "I've been an athlete for 18 years now. I love running and want to stay to involved with it in a different way."

Born in Saitama, Numata, 32, went to Ritsumeikan Uji H.S. and on to Ritsumeikan University before joining Toyota Jidoshokki in 2012. She was active in the major ekidens at all three levels winning the bronze in the 10000 m at the 2015 Asian Championships. She also ran Osaka in January, placing 13th in 2:31:52. In her statement she wrote, "While I was on this team I was able to find goals that I didn't have when I joined it. I was blessed to have the people around me that I did, and to be able to have a long career."

source article:
translated and edited by Brett Larner

Buy Me A Coffee

Comments

Most-Read This Week

Asian Games Preview - Entries, Timetable and Live Results

Back in Japan for the first time in 32 years and representing 60% of the world's population, with more athletes competing across all sports than at the Olympics, the Aichi-Nagoya Asian Games are already underway. Athletics competition starts tomorrow and runs through Tuesday the 29th. Some of the biggest names on the entry list include: Rumesh Tharanga Pathirage (SRI) - men's javelin throw - 2026 World Ultimate Championships gold and 2026 Diamond League champion Haruka Kitaguchi (JPN) - women's javelin throw - 2026 World Ultimate Championships and 2024 Paris Olympics gold Birhanu Balew (BRN) - men's 5000 m/10000 m - 2026 Diamond League 5000 m champion Sanghyeok Woo (KOR) - men's high jump - 2025 Tokyo World Championships silver Hayato Katsuki (JPN) - men's marathon race walk - 2025 Tokyo World Championships bronze Abderrahman Samba (QAT) - men's 400 mH - 2025 Tokyo World Championships bronze Jiale Zhang (CHN) - women's hammer throw - 2025 Tokyo W...

Endo, Nishikawa and Yamakawa Announce Corporate Team Changes

The SG Holdings men's corporate team announced on Oct. 1 that long-distance athletes Hyuga Endo and Yuichiro Nishikawa have joined its roster after leaving the Sumitomo Denko team. Endo, 28, won the Junior Olympics 3000 m while at Koriyama Nishi J.H.S. before going on to Gakuho Ishikawa H.S. where he was the the top Japanese placer in the 5000 m at the National High School Championships 2 years in a row. After graduating from Gakuho Ishikawa he joined the Sumitomo Denko team, winning the National Championships 5000 m in 2021. He won gold at the 2023 Asian Championships and represented Japan at the 2022 and 2023 World Championships. "I will give everything I have as part of the team and work hard toward helping it win the New Year Ekiden," he said of his new environment. Of his personal goals he said, "I want to focus on the 5000 m and reach new levels to compete internationally." Nishikawa, 28, was a member of Tokai University 's winning teams at the H...

2 Athletes Provisionally Suspended After Positive Drug Tests at Asian Games

The International Testing Agency announced on Oct. 2 that provisional suspensions have been imposed on two athletes, Kazakhstan's Aiana Bolatbekkyzy in track and field, and Tajikistan's Issamjon Sharifov in tennis, after they tested positive for prohibited substances at the Asian Games in Nagoya, Aichi. Bolatbekkyzy, 19, tested positive for the steroid drostanolone in a sample collected during an in-competition test at the Games. A diuretic drug was found in the sample collected from Sharifov, 23. source article: https://www.sanspo.com/article/20261002-X4FJLT5MMZKFND6WXPOESAKETQ/ translated by Brett Larner