Skip to main content

The Voices of Average Runners on the Street as Tokyo Marathon Cancels Mass-Participation Race and Other Races Follow Suit (updated)

In the wake of the Tokyo Marathon Foundation's cancelation of its Mar. 1 mass-participation race over coronavirus concerns, other races across Japan have begun to follow Tokyo's lead.

After initially announcing that it would go ahead, the Feb. 23 Himeji Castle Marathon in Hyogo has now announced it will follow Tokyo's lead and cancel. The Neyagawa Half Marathon in Osaka announced that it will completely cancel its event the same day, which had 5,392 entrants supported by 1,350 volunteers this year. Entry fees will not be refunded, but all entrants will have the option to run next year's race for free. Also on Feb. 23, Saitama's Fukaya City Half Marathon announced it would cancel its race, saying that it would not return entry fees but would send entrants the program and entry goods and give them priority in entering next year, while Aichi's Inuyama Half Marathon canceled without specifying details, saying those will be posted on its website.

The Miura International Half Marathon, scheduled for the same day as the Tokyo Marathon in Miura, Kanagawa, also announced that it is canceling this year's 38th edition in the interest of minimizing health risks to runners, volunteers and spectators. 14,000 runners were entered. Plans for what to do about participants' entry fees will be announced later.

In Tokyo itself, the 38,000 entrants in the mass-participation race have been shut out, with the race going ahead with a field of only about 200 elite runners pursuing Olympic qualification. Entry fees to Tokyo will not be refunded, and while entrants will have priority in entering next year's race they will have to pay the entry fee again, 16,200 yen [~$150 USD] for domestic runners and 18,200 yen [~$165 USD] for international entrants.

Among the mass-participation runners who beat the odds to get into the Tokyo field and spent long hours training for it, people have shown understanding of the Foundation's decision while expressing highly mixed feelings about it. Shigeo Imai, 41, a company worker from Tokyo's western suburb of Chofu, could not hide his disappointment. In his ninth attempt he finally got through Tokyo's entry lottery this year. To help get into shape he biked the 23 km round-trip journey to his office every day, and he had already arranged for a colleague to fill in for him at work on race day. His wife and friends had planned to come into the city to cheer him on. "I'd like to at least know what they're going to do with our entry fees and charitable donations," he said.

Like Imai planning to run Tokyo for the first time, another male runner in his 30's from Tokyo's Chuo Ward commented, "It's a huge shock and I'm completely devastated." He had trained around Tokyo's Imperial Palace in pursuit of setting a PB at the Tokyo Marathon. "At the very least I'd like to have my entry fee back," he said. A woman from Kanagawa in her 30's would have made her marathon debut in Tokyo this year. "I guess there's no avoiding it getting canceled, but I'm still really disappointed that I won't get to run."

Katsuo Honda, 51, a corporate manager from Isahaya, Nagasaki who was going to have been running Tokyo for the first time in seven years, was understanding of the decision, saying, "I had already been thinking about not running due to the coronavirus' spread. The race's cancelation settled that. But at the same time, it's an Olympic year so I definitely wanted to run."

source articles:
https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20200219-00000014-kobenext-soci
https://bit.ly/2u7HwXq
https://bit.ly/2wjJO6u
https://www.kobe-np.co.jp/news/sports/202002/0013124301.shtml
https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20200218-00000001-mai-spo
https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20200218-00000045-spnannex-spo
https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20200218-00000047-spnannex-spo
translated and edited by Brett Larner

Buy Me A Coffee

Comments

Most-Read This Week

Arao Becomes 1st Man in 40 Years to Score Back-to-Back Ome Road Race Wins

30 km is an under-appreciated distance, and both of Japan's big races at that distance happened Sunday. At the Ome Road Race in western Tokyo's mountains, Sydney Marathon 6th-placer Masato Arao (ND Software) became the first man since the great Kunimitsu Ito in 1985-1986 to win back-to-back years. Arao, who finished 39th of 40 on his leg at the New Year Ekiden last month, stayed in the pack through 20 km before going on the attack, putting over a minute on New Year Ekiden Sixth Stage CR breaker Yudai Shimazu (GMO). Sub-1:31 winning times are rare on the tough and hilly Ome course, but Arao's 1:30:54 almost equaled his 1:30:50 from last year, making him the first Japanese man ever to do it twice and second only to CR holder Ezekiel Cheboitibin . Next up Arao races the Tokyo Marathon, where he is targeting sub-2:06. Shimazu was 2nd in 1:31:58 and Yuta Nakayama (JR Higashi Nihon) 3rd in 1:32:07. Cheboitibin was only 9th, running almost 8 minutes off his CR in 1:36:42. Shi...

Nagoya Women's Marathon Elite Field

Last year's top 3 Sheila Chepkirui , Sayaka Sato and Eunice Chebichii Chumba are back for this year's Nagoya Women's Marathon on Mar. 8, but things are being set up more for it to be a race between Chepkirui, 2:17:49 in Berlin 2023, Aynalem Desta , 2:17:37 in Amsterdam last fall, and Japanese NR holder Honami Maeda , 2:18:59 at the Osaka International Women's Marathon in 2024. Aynalem has the freshest sub-2:20 of the 3, with neither Chepkirui nor Maeda having done it in 2 years. Maeda's only recent result is a 1:10:07 from Houston last month, but when she ran her NR she didn't have any kind of tuneup race to indicate her fitness so it's probably best not to read too much into that. If it goes out as a 2:18 race those are the only 3 who can probably hang with it. If it turns out to be more of a 2:20 race like when Chepkirui won in 2:20:40 last year then there's a group of 7 at the 2:20-2:22 level who will be in the picture, including Chumba, Selly Chep...

'Kobe 2024: Aitchison, Athmani Lead Record-Breaking Thursday'

  https://www.paralympic.org/news/kobe-2024-para-athletics-world-championships-aitchison-athmani-lead-record-breaking-thursday Complete results and daily schedule from the Kobe World Para Athletics Championships are here .