Skip to main content

Fukuoka Winner Yuma Hattori: "Running Isn't Fun"



At the Dec. 2 Fukuoka International Marathon Yuma Hattori (25, Toyota) ran 2:07:27 to win and become the eighth-fastest Japanese man ever. It was the first time since 2004 that a Japanese man became the Fukuoka champion. Hattori now stands among the leading competitors in the fierce battle to make the 2020 Tokyo Olympics marathon team.

Hattori and his younger brother Hazuma Hattori (23, Toenec) were star members of Toyo University's 2014 Hakone Ekiden winning team. They rank among the most famous brothers in Japanese athletics, but neither of them actually wanted to be a runner. "I wanted to play soccer," Hattori said. "Hazuma wanted to play table tennis. We're from the sticks out in Niigata and my junior high school didn't have a soccer team. I thought about joining a club team, but it was too far away."

"My dad had been a decathlete," Hattori continued, "so I started doing track and field as well. My mom was a cross-country skier, so both of them had been involved in sports that require endurance. We also had a table tennis table at home and we used to play all the time. That's why Hazuma really wanted to join the table tennis team, but our parents told him, 'You shouldn't do only table tennis.' He didn't really have any choice but to join the track and field team too. If there had been a soccer team at my junior high I'd definitely be playing soccer now and things would be kind of different. "

Despite the talent they show now, both Hattori brothers started their careers in athletics feeling that they didn't have any other options. Even after joining their school's team that feeling didn't change. "It's still true now," he said. "There's not much about running that feels fun. Maybe it's fun when I have a good performance, but over 90% of the time I don't enjoy the training at all. There are times I ask myself, 'Why are you doing this?' I think that deep down in my heart I just don't like running. If I had the chance I'd still rather be a soccer player."



Although soccer remained his one true love, Hattori joined the Toyota corporate men's team after graduating from Toyo. "I thought that if I joined a corporate team after graduating from university I'd be able to become competitive in the marathon," he explained. "Toyota is one of the biggest companies in Japan and one that represents the nation. I thought that as a person I still lacked life experience, education and knowledge, so more than for its running team I decided to join Toyota in order to broaden those parts of myself."

Since joining Toyota Hattori has grown as both a runner and a person. Fukuoka was his fourth marathon, and he really hit it out of the park. In his first three marathons he fell off pace after 35 km, but this time was different. Hattori split 14:40 from 35 to 40 km in Fukuoka, the same kind of strength Japanese national record holder Suguru Osako showed in negative splitting his race. Behind that strength may have been the power of mental imaging. But not the usual kind.

"I don't want to have the image of when I win or run well in mind," he said. "What I mean is that I keep focused on the hardships and throw away all the feel-good stuff when I'm training." One good thing that came out of Fukuoka was earning a place at the MGC Race, Japan's 2020 Tokyo Olympics marathon trial race. "I can say that I have the desire to run the marathon at the Tokyo Olympics," Hattori said. That clearly articulated desire is one step closer to becoming a reality for him.

source article:
https://smart-flash.jp/sports/56727
translated and edited by Brett Larner

Buy Me A Coffee

Comments

Simon Sumida said…
I'm not so sure he really hates running. When he says: "I can say that I have the desire to run the marathon at the Tokyo Olympics," he's expressing passion, therefore love, not hate. From my humble point of view, telling to yourself you hate running is a way of coping with the effort it requires to train at that level...

Most-Read This Week

Asian Games Preview - Entries, Timetable and Live Results

Back in Japan for the first time in 32 years and representing 60% of the world's population, with more athletes competing across all sports than at the Olympics, the Aichi-Nagoya Asian Games are already underway. Athletics competition starts tomorrow and runs through Tuesday the 29th. Some of the biggest names on the entry list include: Rumesh Tharanga Pathirage (SRI) - men's javelin throw - 2026 World Ultimate Championships gold and 2026 Diamond League champion Haruka Kitaguchi (JPN) - women's javelin throw - 2026 World Ultimate Championships and 2024 Paris Olympics gold Birhanu Balew (BRN) - men's 5000 m/10000 m - 2026 Diamond League 5000 m champion Sanghyeok Woo (KOR) - men's high jump - 2025 Tokyo World Championships silver Hayato Katsuki (JPN) - men's marathon race walk - 2025 Tokyo World Championships bronze Abderrahman Samba (QAT) - men's 400 mH - 2025 Tokyo World Championships bronze Jiale Zhang (CHN) - women's hammer throw - 2025 Tokyo W...

Asian Games Competition Schedule

The daily athletics event schedule for September's Aichi-Nagoya Asian Games . Wednesday, Sept. 23 7:30 - Women's / Men's Half Marathon Race Walk Final Thursday, Sept. 24 10:00 - Women's Heptathlon 100 mH 10:20 - Mixed 4x400 m Relay Heats 10:30 - Men's Triple Jump Heats 10:40 - Women's Heptathlon High Jump 19:05 - Men's High Jump Heats 19:13 - Women's Heptathlon Shot Put 19:33 - Women's 100 m Heats 19:44 - Women's Triple Jump Final 20:08 - Men's 100 m Heats 20:55 - Men's Discus Throw Final 21:00 - Women's Heptathlon 200 m 21:25 - Women's 10000 m Final 22:15 - Mixed 4x400 m Relay Final Friday, Sept. 25 10:00 - Women's Heptathlon Long Jump 10:30 - Men's 400 m Heats 11:25 - Women's Heptathlon Javelin Throw 19:05 - Women's Shot Put Final 19:13 - Women's 100 m Semifinal 19:33 - Men's 100 m Semifinal 20:03 - Women's Pole Vault Final 20:11 - Women's Heptathlon 800 m 20:32 - Men's 10000 m Final 20:40 - M...

Endo, Nishikawa and Yamakawa Announce Corporate Team Changes

The SG Holdings men's corporate team announced on Oct. 1 that long-distance athletes Hyuga Endo and Yuichiro Nishikawa have joined its roster after leaving the Sumitomo Denko team. Endo, 28, won the Junior Olympics 3000 m while at Koriyama Nishi J.H.S. before going on to Gakuho Ishikawa H.S. where he was the the top Japanese placer in the 5000 m at the National High School Championships 2 years in a row. After graduating from Gakuho Ishikawa he joined the Sumitomo Denko team, winning the National Championships 5000 m in 2021. He won gold at the 2023 Asian Championships and represented Japan at the 2022 and 2023 World Championships. "I will give everything I have as part of the team and work hard toward helping it win the New Year Ekiden," he said of his new environment. Of his personal goals he said, "I want to focus on the 5000 m and reach new levels to compete internationally." Nishikawa, 28, was a member of Tokai University 's winning teams at the H...