Skip to main content

Katanishi Scores Best-Ever Japanese Collegiate Placing at United Airlines NYC Half

Wearing bib #21 on his 21st birthday, 2017 World University Games half marathon gold medalist Kei Katanishi (Komazawa University) turned in the best-ever Japanese collegiate placing at the United Airlines NYC Half, taking 7th in 1:03:05 just 26 seconds off the win.

Katanishi and his Komazawa teammate Shogo Ise earned invites to the NYC Half by taking the top two Japanese collegiate spots at last November's Ageo City Half Marathon. Off the tougher new New York course both Katanishi and Ise ran in the lead group for the first two-thirds of the race, Ise near the front and Katanishi biding his time at the back of the pack. When the first real move came on the uphill approaching Times Square Katanishi was quick to reposition himself into the top three just off the shoulder of leader Dathan Ritzenhein (U.S.A.), staying in the action and looking smooth through the first set of Central Park hills. "I just took the early part easy and watched the others and what was going on," Katanishi told JRN post-race. "When the race got going I knew it was time to get into it."

The next move came near 17 km on the flat at the top of the toughest uphill. This time Katanishi couldn't keep up, falling off the leaders along with Scott Fauble (U.S.A.) and Soufiane Bouchikihi (Belgium), but with a characteristically strong finish he cleared his pre-race goal of a top eight finish. Previously the best-ever Japanese collegiate placing in New York was by another Komazawa runner, Ikuto Yufu who took 9th in 1:02:50 in 2014. Katanishi's time of 1:03:05 was also the 4th-best Japanese collegiate time in New York; considering the far tougher course and headwinds throughout the race his performance likely rivaled the 1:01:48 by future half marathon and marathon national record holder Yuta Shitara back in 2012. "I met my goal of making top eight," Katanishi said, "but I'm disappointed I couldn't stay with the top guys in the last 4 km. I could tell I still have a lot of work to do."

Ise, who took 2nd in the National University Half Marathon two weeks ago, was dropped in Times Square, fading back from the lead group to take 15th in 1:04:56 just ahead of American Noah Droddy. "I had a lot of fun for the first 10 km," Ise said after the race. "It was a really hard course and I was freezing in the wind. Last year I watched the live stream of New York and thought it was awesome. I can't believe I really made it this year, and I'm really happy to have been here."

The pair's coach, former marathon national record holder Atsushi Fujita, rode in the lead truck and watched the race play out before his eyes. "That was like watching a dream," he told JRN. "We were only thinking of Katanishi making top eight, but I started thinking, 'He's gonna make top five, maybe top three.' I'd give him about a 75% on this. If he'd made top five, maybe 85%. This was an incredibly valuable experience, though, and they both did a great job of being up in it. After this I'm really excited to see Katanishi's development in the next few years." Given Shitara's rise from a 1:01:48 on a faster version of the course to double national record holder, it's probably worth filing Katanishi's name away for future reference.

United Airlines NYC Half

New York, 3/18/18

Men
1. Ben True (U.S.A.) - 1:02:39 - debut
2. Dathan Ritzenhein (U.S.A.) - 1:02:42
3. Chris Thompson (Great Britain) - 1:02:43
4. Teshome Mekonnen (Ethiopia) - 1:02:44
5. Scott Fauble (U.S.A.) - 1:02:58
6. Soufiane Bouchikhi (Belgium) - 1:03:03
7. Kei Katanishi (Japan/Komazawa Univ.) - 1:03:05
8. Chris Derrick (U.S.A.) - 1:03:25
9. Wilson Chebet (Kenya) - 1:03:37
10. Futsum Zienasellassie (U.S.A.) - 1:03:39
-----
15. Shogo Ise (Japan/Komazawa Univ.) - 1:04:56

Women
1. Buze Diriba (Ethiopia) - 1:12:23
2. Emily Sisson (U.S.A.) - 1:12:24
3. Karoline Grovdal (Norway) - 1:12:43
4. Mamitu Daska (Ethiopia) - 1:12:50
5. Serena Burla (U.S.A.) - 1:13:15
6. Askale Merachi (Ethiopia) - 1:13:29
7. Betsy Saina (Kenya) - 1:13:31
8. Desiree Linden (U.S.A.) - 1:13:33
9. Madai Perez (Mexico) - 1:13:40
10. Caroline Rotich (Kenya) - 1:13:58

© 2018 Brett Larner, all rights reserved

Comments

Most-Read This Week

Asian Games Preview - Entries, Timetable and Live Results

Back in Japan for the first time in 32 years and representing 60% of the world's population, with more athletes competing across all sports than at the Olympics, the Aichi-Nagoya Asian Games are already underway. Athletics competition starts tomorrow and runs through Tuesday the 29th. Some of the biggest names on the entry list include: Rumesh Tharanga Pathirage (SRI) - men's javelin throw - 2026 World Ultimate Championships gold and 2026 Diamond League champion Haruka Kitaguchi (JPN) - women's javelin throw - 2026 World Ultimate Championships and 2024 Paris Olympics gold Birhanu Balew (BRN) - men's 5000 m/10000 m - 2026 Diamond League 5000 m champion Sanghyeok Woo (KOR) - men's high jump - 2025 Tokyo World Championships silver Hayato Katsuki (JPN) - men's marathon race walk - 2025 Tokyo World Championships bronze Abderrahman Samba (QAT) - men's 400 mH - 2025 Tokyo World Championships bronze Jiale Zhang (CHN) - women's hammer throw - 2025 Tokyo W...

Endo, Nishikawa and Yamakawa Announce Corporate Team Changes

The SG Holdings men's corporate team announced on Oct. 1 that long-distance athletes Hyuga Endo and Yuichiro Nishikawa have joined its roster after leaving the Sumitomo Denko team. Endo, 28, won the Junior Olympics 3000 m while at Koriyama Nishi J.H.S. before going on to Gakuho Ishikawa H.S. where he was the the top Japanese placer in the 5000 m at the National High School Championships 2 years in a row. After graduating from Gakuho Ishikawa he joined the Sumitomo Denko team, winning the National Championships 5000 m in 2021. He won gold at the 2023 Asian Championships and represented Japan at the 2022 and 2023 World Championships. "I will give everything I have as part of the team and work hard toward helping it win the New Year Ekiden," he said of his new environment. Of his personal goals he said, "I want to focus on the 5000 m and reach new levels to compete internationally." Nishikawa, 28, was a member of Tokai University 's winning teams at the H...

2 Athletes Provisionally Suspended After Positive Drug Tests at Asian Games

The International Testing Agency announced on Oct. 2 that provisional suspensions have been imposed on two athletes, Kazakhstan's Aiana Bolatbekkyzy in track and field, and Tajikistan's Issamjon Sharifov in tennis, after they tested positive for prohibited substances at the Asian Games in Nagoya, Aichi. Bolatbekkyzy, 19, tested positive for the steroid drostanolone in a sample collected during an in-competition test at the Games. A diuretic drug was found in the sample collected from Sharifov, 23. source article: https://www.sanspo.com/article/20261002-X4FJLT5MMZKFND6WXPOESAKETQ/ translated by Brett Larner