Skip to main content

Noguchi and Fukushi Arrive in Moscow

http://sportsnavi.yahoo.co.jp/sports/athletic/wc/headlines/article/20130806-00000075-kyodo_sp

translated and edited by Brett Larner

World Championships women's marathon team member Mizuki Noguchi (Team Sysmex) arrived in Moscow on Aug. 6, her tanned face creasing in a smile as she said, "More than nervous I'm excited.  It's been a long, long time since I got to compete at the World level and I can't even begin to tell you how much I'm looking forward to it."

Noguchi, the queen of the 2004 Athens Olympics marathon and the Japanese national record holder, trained at altitude in St. Moritz, Switzerland for the month of July.  In Frankfurt, Germany for her final preparations, she had her hair cut short.  "Now I'm psyched," she laughed.

The women's marathon takes place on the first day of the World Championships, Aug. 10.  Noguchi's teammate, half-marathon national record holder Kayoko Fukushi (Team Wacoal) also arrived in Moscow from Frankfurt on a different flight from Noguchi.

Comments

Most-Read This Week

3 Athletes Provisionally Suspended After Positive Drug Tests at Asian Games (updated)

The International Testing Agency announced on Oct. 2 that provisional suspensions have been imposed on two athletes, Kazakhstan's Aiana Bolatbekkyzy in track and field, and Tajikistan's Issamjon Sharifov in tennis, after they tested positive for prohibited substances at the Asian Games in Nagoya, Aichi. Bolatbekkyzy, 19, tested positive for the steroid drostanolone in a sample collected during an in-competition test at the Games. A diuretic drug was found in the sample collected from Sharifov, 23. Update:  On Oct. 3 a third athlete, kurash wrestler Yash Kumar Chauhan  of India, was provisionally suspended after an in-competition test detected the steroid metandienone, the metabolic modulator GW1516, and the stimulant mephentermine in his system. source article: https://www.sanspo.com/article/20261002-X4FJLT5MMZKFND6WXPOESAKETQ/ translated by Brett Larner

Endo, Nishikawa and Yamakawa Announce Corporate Team Changes

The SG Holdings men's corporate team announced on Oct. 1 that long-distance athletes Hyuga Endo and Yuichiro Nishikawa have joined its roster after leaving the Sumitomo Denko team. Endo, 28, won the Junior Olympics 3000 m while at Koriyama Nishi J.H.S. before going on to Gakuho Ishikawa H.S. where he was the the top Japanese placer in the 5000 m at the National High School Championships 2 years in a row. After graduating from Gakuho Ishikawa he joined the Sumitomo Denko team, winning the National Championships 5000 m in 2021. He won gold at the 2023 Asian Championships and represented Japan at the 2022 and 2023 World Championships. "I will give everything I have as part of the team and work hard toward helping it win the New Year Ekiden," he said of his new environment. Of his personal goals he said, "I want to focus on the 5000 m and reach new levels to compete internationally." Nishikawa, 28, was a member of Tokai University 's winning teams at the H...