Skip to main content

Yamamoto Ready to Tackle 100-Corner Marathon Course With Irregular Pacing

http://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2012/08/12/kiji/K20120812003885720.html

translated by Brett Larner

To prepare himself to tackle the 100+ corner London Olympic marathon course, Ryo Yamamoto (28, Team Sagawa Express) has avoided steady-pace training and instead focused on running in a shifting-pace style, matching his rhythm to the demands of the terrain.  A three-loop route through the heart of the city, the Olympic marathon course is said to have 100 corners.  "In Sugadaira I did a lot of cross-country training, and in both my speedwork and my long runs I focused on changing the pace," he said, showing confidence in the outcome of his training since June, which included periodic visits to view the course.

Yamamoto's monthly mileage has been around 1200 km, the same as before this year's Lake Biwa Mainichi Marathon where he earned his place at the Olympics.  "It won't be easy, but I'm aiming for the top eight," he said.  "Whenever I have the chance I'll be aiming to move up in the field."  When he ran Lake Biwa Yamamoto was only looking at it as a step toward making next year's World Championships team, but having unexpectedly made the Olympics he is now ready to take a serious shot on the biggest stage of them all.

Comments

Most-Read This Week

Endo, Nishikawa and Yamakawa Announce Corporate Team Changes

The SG Holdings men's corporate team announced on Oct. 1 that long-distance athletes Hyuga Endo and Yuichiro Nishikawa have joined its roster after leaving the Sumitomo Denko team. Endo, 28, won the Junior Olympics 3000 m while at Koriyama Nishi J.H.S. before going on to Gakuho Ishikawa H.S. where he was the the top Japanese placer in the 5000 m at the National High School Championships 2 years in a row. After graduating from Gakuho Ishikawa he joined the Sumitomo Denko team, winning the National Championships 5000 m in 2021. He won gold at the 2023 Asian Championships and represented Japan at the 2022 and 2023 World Championships. "I will give everything I have as part of the team and work hard toward helping it win the New Year Ekiden," he said of his new environment. Of his personal goals he said, "I want to focus on the 5000 m and reach new levels to compete internationally." Nishikawa, 28, was a member of Tokai University 's winning teams at the H...

3 Athletes Provisionally Suspended After Positive Drug Tests at Asian Games (updated)

The International Testing Agency announced on Oct. 2 that provisional suspensions have been imposed on two athletes, Kazakhstan's Aiana Bolatbekkyzy in track and field, and Tajikistan's Issamjon Sharifov in tennis, after they tested positive for prohibited substances at the Asian Games in Nagoya, Aichi. Bolatbekkyzy, 19, tested positive for the steroid drostanolone in a sample collected during an in-competition test at the Games. A diuretic drug was found in the sample collected from Sharifov, 23. Update:  On Oct. 3 a third athlete, kurash wrestler Yash Kumar Chauhan  of India, was provisionally suspended after an in-competition test detected the steroid metandienone, the metabolic modulator GW1516, and the stimulant mephentermine in his system. source article: https://www.sanspo.com/article/20261002-X4FJLT5MMZKFND6WXPOESAKETQ/ translated by Brett Larner