Skip to main content

Olympic Marathoner Nakamoto: "I've Built My Legs to Last"

http://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2012/08/12/kiji/K20120812003885730.html

translated and edited by Brett Larner

2011 Daegu World Championships marathon 10th-place finisher Kentaro Nakamoto (29, Team Yasukawa Denki) has done all of his training for the London Olympics domestically, with simple confidence saying, "I've built my legs to last."  His concerns about the London weather are the opposite of most of his competition's: "I'm not very good in cold weather, so I hope it gets hot."

On June 27 Nakamoto celebrated the birth of his son Riku.  His closing words were for his wife Reiko and Riku, who are cheering him on from back home in Japan: "I can't wait to see them after getting the result I want in the race.  I'm shooting for top eight."

Comments

TokyoRacer said…
Well, that was all very prophetic.

Most-Read This Week

Endo, Nishikawa and Yamakawa Announce Corporate Team Changes

The SG Holdings men's corporate team announced on Oct. 1 that long-distance athletes Hyuga Endo and Yuichiro Nishikawa have joined its roster after leaving the Sumitomo Denko team. Endo, 28, won the Junior Olympics 3000 m while at Koriyama Nishi J.H.S. before going on to Gakuho Ishikawa H.S. where he was the the top Japanese placer in the 5000 m at the National High School Championships 2 years in a row. After graduating from Gakuho Ishikawa he joined the Sumitomo Denko team, winning the National Championships 5000 m in 2021. He won gold at the 2023 Asian Championships and represented Japan at the 2022 and 2023 World Championships. "I will give everything I have as part of the team and work hard toward helping it win the New Year Ekiden," he said of his new environment. Of his personal goals he said, "I want to focus on the 5000 m and reach new levels to compete internationally." Nishikawa, 28, was a member of Tokai University 's winning teams at the H...

3 Athletes Provisionally Suspended After Positive Drug Tests at Asian Games (updated)

The International Testing Agency announced on Oct. 2 that provisional suspensions have been imposed on two athletes, Kazakhstan's Aiana Bolatbekkyzy in track and field, and Tajikistan's Issamjon Sharifov in tennis, after they tested positive for prohibited substances at the Asian Games in Nagoya, Aichi. Bolatbekkyzy, 19, tested positive for the steroid drostanolone in a sample collected during an in-competition test at the Games. A diuretic drug was found in the sample collected from Sharifov, 23. Update:  On Oct. 3 a third athlete, kurash wrestler Yash Kumar Chauhan  of India, was provisionally suspended after an in-competition test detected the steroid metandienone, the metabolic modulator GW1516, and the stimulant mephentermine in his system. source article: https://www.sanspo.com/article/20261002-X4FJLT5MMZKFND6WXPOESAKETQ/ translated by Brett Larner