Skip to main content

Nakamoto Meets With Lieutenant Governor and Mayor to Discuss Olympic Marathon 6th-Place Finish

http://mainichi.jp/area/yamaguchi/news/20120829ddlk35050403000c.html
http://www.tvq.co.jp/news/news.php?did=8331

translated and edited by Brett Larner

London Olympics men's marathoner and Shimonoseki native Kentaro Nakamoto (29, Team Yasukawa Denki), met with Yamaguchi prefecture lieutenant governor Minoru Okada Aug. 28 at the Yamaguchi Prefectural Government headquarters to discuss his 6th-place finish at the Olympics.  Lieutenant Governor Okada complimented Nakamoto, telling him, "Your run was a great source of pride for all citizens of Yamaguchi.  We were all tremendously impressed and inspired by the way you came up late in the race."  In honor of Nakamoto's performance the lieutenant governor presented him with a selection of locally-produced agricultural and marine food and other items produced by companies within the prefecture.

Lieutenant Governor Okada also asked Nakamoto, "What do you think about while you are running?"  Nakamoto replied, "When I'm running I think about beating whoever is in front of me," adding, "In London I was so focused on the race that I didn't notice the surroundings or the scenery at all."

The same day, Nakamoto, who runs for the Kita-Kyushu-based Yasukawa Denki corporate team, also visited Kita-Kyushu mayor Kenji Kitahashi to share his Olympic experience.  Nakamoto told Mayor Kitahashi, "Thanks to all the great support and encouragement I got from everyone in Kita-Kyushu and elsewhere, I was able to come 6th and meet my goal of a top-eight finish.  I'm already looking four years ahead and will do my best to get there.  I want to keep identifying and tackling the issues one at a time, targeting each race along the way and continuing to improve."

Comments

Most-Read This Week

Endo, Nishikawa and Yamakawa Announce Corporate Team Changes

The SG Holdings men's corporate team announced on Oct. 1 that long-distance athletes Hyuga Endo and Yuichiro Nishikawa have joined its roster after leaving the Sumitomo Denko team. Endo, 28, won the Junior Olympics 3000 m while at Koriyama Nishi J.H.S. before going on to Gakuho Ishikawa H.S. where he was the the top Japanese placer in the 5000 m at the National High School Championships 2 years in a row. After graduating from Gakuho Ishikawa he joined the Sumitomo Denko team, winning the National Championships 5000 m in 2021. He won gold at the 2023 Asian Championships and represented Japan at the 2022 and 2023 World Championships. "I will give everything I have as part of the team and work hard toward helping it win the New Year Ekiden," he said of his new environment. Of his personal goals he said, "I want to focus on the 5000 m and reach new levels to compete internationally." Nishikawa, 28, was a member of Tokai University 's winning teams at the H...

3 Athletes Provisionally Suspended After Positive Drug Tests at Asian Games (updated)

The International Testing Agency announced on Oct. 2 that provisional suspensions have been imposed on two athletes, Kazakhstan's Aiana Bolatbekkyzy in track and field, and Tajikistan's Issamjon Sharifov in tennis, after they tested positive for prohibited substances at the Asian Games in Nagoya, Aichi. Bolatbekkyzy, 19, tested positive for the steroid drostanolone in a sample collected during an in-competition test at the Games. A diuretic drug was found in the sample collected from Sharifov, 23. Update:  On Oct. 3 a third athlete, kurash wrestler Yash Kumar Chauhan  of India, was provisionally suspended after an in-competition test detected the steroid metandienone, the metabolic modulator GW1516, and the stimulant mephentermine in his system. source article: https://www.sanspo.com/article/20261002-X4FJLT5MMZKFND6WXPOESAKETQ/ translated by Brett Larner