Skip to main content

39 Year Old Tergat Aiming for Biwako Course Record

http://www.asahi.com/sports/spo/TKY200902280070.html
http://mainichi.jp/enta/sports/news/20090228k0000m050085000c.html

translated and edited by Brett Larner

Former men's marathon world record holder Paul Tergat (Kenyan) is running the Mar. 1 Biwako Mainichi Marathon, his first marathon in Japan. It's been six years since Tergat shocked the world when he ran the first-ever 2:04 marathon at the 2003 Berlin Marathon, but he still continues running. We interviewed the 39 year old veteran.

Why did you decide to run Biwako?
For years I've wanted to run a marathon in Japan. I do April's London Marathon every year, but although they invited me this year I decided to come to Japan. Japanese people are warm-hearted and have a sense of respect for their competitors, and they love sports more than anything. There are a lot of good runners.

What's your target time?
If the wind and temperature are suitable I'll be going for the course record [2:07:34]. I haven't had any injuries and I'm in good shape.

Your life outside running is pretty busy, isn't it?
I'm a member of the World Food Program; my work with them takes me all around the world. I was able to go to high school because of WFP support so I'm honored to be able to do something to repay them. I ask people to take part in charitable activities if they have the chance. I'm here because of people I've never met, so to me charity means rescuing someone else's life.

Do you think you can still set another world record?
To be honest it would be pretty difficult. I think future world records would probably happen in New York, Berlin or Dubai.

You've been one of the world's greatest runners ever since 1995. What are your plans after this?
I'm still running because it's what I love. I haven't had any big injuries so nothing has changed from when I was young. I want to run for a long time, do a lot of races, and, if I can, win. For me the marathon is about expressing my talents. Beyond that, I want to help the next generation of runners cultivate their own talents. As an athlete you peak years are very short, and there is enough time afterwards to do the things you want to do.

In the marathon world, the strength of Africans is outstanding. Japan is trying to learn from the Beijing Olympics, but there are voices saying, "We can't compete with Africans."
That's the wrong idea. It's important to keep training with the idea that "Nothing is impossible." When I started marathoning people told me, "You're too tall and too skinny," but that was just based other people's ideas of what a marathoner should be, not mine. Training with your own vision will lead you to victory.

Comments

Most-Read This Week

Asian Games Preview - Entries, Timetable and Live Results

Back in Japan for the first time in 32 years and representing 60% of the world's population, with more athletes competing across all sports than at the Olympics, the Aichi-Nagoya Asian Games are already underway. Athletics competition starts tomorrow and runs through Tuesday the 29th. Some of the biggest names on the entry list include: Rumesh Tharanga Pathirage (SRI) - men's javelin throw - 2026 World Ultimate Championships gold and 2026 Diamond League champion Haruka Kitaguchi (JPN) - women's javelin throw - 2026 World Ultimate Championships and 2024 Paris Olympics gold Birhanu Balew (BRN) - men's 5000 m/10000 m - 2026 Diamond League 5000 m champion Sanghyeok Woo (KOR) - men's high jump - 2025 Tokyo World Championships silver Hayato Katsuki (JPN) - men's marathon race walk - 2025 Tokyo World Championships bronze Abderrahman Samba (QAT) - men's 400 mH - 2025 Tokyo World Championships bronze Jiale Zhang (CHN) - women's hammer throw - 2025 Tokyo W...

Endo, Nishikawa and Yamakawa Announce Corporate Team Changes

The SG Holdings men's corporate team announced on Oct. 1 that long-distance athletes Hyuga Endo and Yuichiro Nishikawa have joined its roster after leaving the Sumitomo Denko team. Endo, 28, won the Junior Olympics 3000 m while at Koriyama Nishi J.H.S. before going on to Gakuho Ishikawa H.S. where he was the the top Japanese placer in the 5000 m at the National High School Championships 2 years in a row. After graduating from Gakuho Ishikawa he joined the Sumitomo Denko team, winning the National Championships 5000 m in 2021. He won gold at the 2023 Asian Championships and represented Japan at the 2022 and 2023 World Championships. "I will give everything I have as part of the team and work hard toward helping it win the New Year Ekiden," he said of his new environment. Of his personal goals he said, "I want to focus on the 5000 m and reach new levels to compete internationally." Nishikawa, 28, was a member of Tokai University 's winning teams at the H...

2 Athletes Provisionally Suspended After Positive Drug Tests at Asian Games

The International Testing Agency announced on Oct. 2 that provisional suspensions have been imposed on two athletes, Kazakhstan's Aiana Bolatbekkyzy in track and field, and Tajikistan's Issamjon Sharifov in tennis, after they tested positive for prohibited substances at the Asian Games in Nagoya, Aichi. Bolatbekkyzy, 19, tested positive for the steroid drostanolone in a sample collected during an in-competition test at the Games. A diuretic drug was found in the sample collected from Sharifov, 23. source article: https://www.sanspo.com/article/20261002-X4FJLT5MMZKFND6WXPOESAKETQ/ translated by Brett Larner