Skip to main content

The One and Only Yoko Shibui

http://www.business-i.jp/news/sou-page/news/200808020012a.nwc

translated by Brett Larner and Mika Tokairin

Beijing Olympics Women's 10000 m Team Member Yoko Shibui

"I Genuinely Want to Win"

She's had many great records and many failures, but it's all in the past for Yoko Shibui. It's not that she won a spot on the Beijing Olympics women's 10000 m team but rather that she finally found the true athlete's state of mind. "I am hungry to win these days. This year especially I've found myself always thinking, 'I want to win, I want to win, I want to win!' People probably think I've always been a passionate person, but it's not true. I think that I probably didn't use to really have the drive to win, but now I do. This means that in Beijing I will be shooting to take down some big names."

Here in front of me is the newborn Shibui. What gets her going is not the existence of rivals or the reputations of others. It's beating herself, a new state of mind in which she has just arrived. "So...I'm really looking forward to the Beijing Olympics. If I have a 100% performance I'm sure something will come out of it."

What changed Shibui? "Well, that, yeah. The marathon I, you know, did. After that I started to think about my career and how much longer I can be a competitive athlete, and I began to understand some things about what's left for me. If I hadn't experienced that race I wouldn't be here. Everything started after Tokyo last November."

Shibui is no longer the wild and naive girl of old. Now she's got the heart of a mature woman athlete. In the past, she always failed in important competitions. In the Athens Olympics selection race, the 2004 Osaka International Women's Marathon, she was 9th, and in 2007 at the selection race for the Osaka World Track and Field Championships, also held at the Osaka International Women's Marathon, she was 10th. The bottom came at the 2007 Tokyo International Women's Marathon Shibui was supposed to run a much-anticipated duel against Mizuki Noguchi, but just before the 30 km she fell away from the lead pack and finished in 7th with a personal worst time, ending her hopes to run in the Beijing Olympics as a marathoner. "That loss changed everything."

In June she won the Japanese National Track and Field Championships 10000 m, sealing her ticket to Beijing. In Kunming, China, Shibui is now in the last phase of her training for the 10000 m. She will go to Beijing on the 13th. "For me, 10000 m is just a point along the way in training for the marathon, but I always feel like I want to become a runner who can be competitive at both."

Shibui's training has included running all-out on a 100 m downhill cross-country course to learn how to improve her leg turnover. I asked her to show me her secret weapon, her legs. "No, no, no, no! I don't have much confidence about my body. I have a huge body self-image complex," she laughed as she pulled her legs up against her body and hid them with her arms.

Over a hundred of Shibui`s relatives, friends and colleagues will be in Beijing to support her. Mitsui Sumitomo Kaijo president Yoshiaki Hata commented, "I want to see Shibui finish shouting with enthusiasm." Shibui herself offered her vision of the Beijing 10000 m. "In the race I want the god of track and field to come to me." Under the Beijing sky, the newly grown-up Shibui is sure to get her medal.

Comments

Most-Read This Week

Asian Games Preview - Entries, Timetable and Live Results

Back in Japan for the first time in 32 years and representing 60% of the world's population, with more athletes competing across all sports than at the Olympics, the Aichi-Nagoya Asian Games are already underway. Athletics competition starts tomorrow and runs through Tuesday the 29th. Some of the biggest names on the entry list include: Rumesh Tharanga Pathirage (SRI) - men's javelin throw - 2026 World Ultimate Championships gold and 2026 Diamond League champion Haruka Kitaguchi (JPN) - women's javelin throw - 2026 World Ultimate Championships and 2024 Paris Olympics gold Birhanu Balew (BRN) - men's 5000 m/10000 m - 2026 Diamond League 5000 m champion Sanghyeok Woo (KOR) - men's high jump - 2025 Tokyo World Championships silver Hayato Katsuki (JPN) - men's marathon race walk - 2025 Tokyo World Championships bronze Abderrahman Samba (QAT) - men's 400 mH - 2025 Tokyo World Championships bronze Jiale Zhang (CHN) - women's hammer throw - 2025 Tokyo W...

Endo, Nishikawa and Yamakawa Announce Corporate Team Changes

The SG Holdings men's corporate team announced on Oct. 1 that long-distance athletes Hyuga Endo and Yuichiro Nishikawa have joined its roster after leaving the Sumitomo Denko team. Endo, 28, won the Junior Olympics 3000 m while at Koriyama Nishi J.H.S. before going on to Gakuho Ishikawa H.S. where he was the the top Japanese placer in the 5000 m at the National High School Championships 2 years in a row. After graduating from Gakuho Ishikawa he joined the Sumitomo Denko team, winning the National Championships 5000 m in 2021. He won gold at the 2023 Asian Championships and represented Japan at the 2022 and 2023 World Championships. "I will give everything I have as part of the team and work hard toward helping it win the New Year Ekiden," he said of his new environment. Of his personal goals he said, "I want to focus on the 5000 m and reach new levels to compete internationally." Nishikawa, 28, was a member of Tokai University 's winning teams at the H...

2 Athletes Provisionally Suspended After Positive Drug Tests at Asian Games

The International Testing Agency announced on Oct. 2 that provisional suspensions have been imposed on two athletes, Kazakhstan's Aiana Bolatbekkyzy in track and field, and Tajikistan's Issamjon Sharifov in tennis, after they tested positive for prohibited substances at the Asian Games in Nagoya, Aichi. Bolatbekkyzy, 19, tested positive for the steroid drostanolone in a sample collected during an in-competition test at the Games. A diuretic drug was found in the sample collected from Sharifov, 23. source article: https://www.sanspo.com/article/20261002-X4FJLT5MMZKFND6WXPOESAKETQ/ translated by Brett Larner