Skip to main content

Koide Protege Hitomi Niiya to Make Bid for Berlin World Championships Team at Hokkaido Marathon

http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/080830/spg0808300501000-n1.htm

translated by Brett Larner

The elite field for Sunday's Hokkaido Marathon met the press at a conference held Aug. 29 at a Sapporo-area hotel. 2007 Tokyo Marathon victor Hitomi Niiya (20, Team Toyota Jidoshokki) stated that in her race she intends to make a strong bid for the 2009 Berlin World Championships women's marathon team. 2008 Biwako Mainichi Marathon 4th place finisher Yuzo Onishi (30, Team Nissin Shokuhin) and others appeared ready to face the challenge of tomorrow's competition.

Hot on the heels of the Beijing Olympics, the Hokkaido Marathon is the first race which Rikuren will give serious consideration when selecting the team for next year's world championships. With two days to go until her second marathon, the 20 year-old Niiya plans to make a deep impression. Overflowing with youthful energy, it is clear that Niiya is made of the right stuff. "I think the race will happen after 30 km," she says. "I'll run in the lead pack, then I'll aim to finish around 2 hours 30 minutes."*

The future is bright for this early-blooming runner. Running her first marathon at the age of 18, Niiya won the inaugural edition of the Tokyo Marathon in 2007. She hoped to become one of the new stars at the Beijing Olympics, but injuries kept her from running her planned qualifying race. "The marathon is a battle against yourself, so it's the hardest race," says Niiya, describing the depression she felt after missing her Beijing goal. Her coach, Yoshio Koide, 69, helped her to put this early setback in perspective, telling her, "You can always aim for London." This simple comment brought her back to thinking positively.

In Beijing the Japanese women's team was trying to earn its fifth straight Olympic marathon medal but was unsuccessful. A new generation is needed to step up to the challenge. The Hokkaido Marathon is the first step on a road that continues on over the next four years, and Hitomi Niiya is one of the brightest hopes. "Training is Boulder went really well, and I'm feeling ready to run a fast race."

*Translator's note: Hokkaido is a notoriously hot race, thus Niiya's goal is quite respectable. At the same time, Japan is currently experiencing a period of unseasonably cool weather more typical of mid fall. Times may be faster than usual.

Comments

Most-Read This Week

Australian YouTuber Handed Lifetime Ban by Ageo City Half Marathon After Running 1:06 with Another Runner's Bib (updated)

After discussion with their race's chief JAAF referee, on Nov. 27 the organizers of the Ageo City Half Marathon handed down a lifetime ban from their event against 36-year-old Australian Matt Inglis Fox  for running the Nov. 15 race wearing the bib number of another JAAF-registered runner. The incident came to light after Fox posted on his personal Instagram account that he had run a PB of 1:06:33 and finished 203rd in Ageo with a 10 km split of 31:03, along with photos and video of himself in the race wearing a bib number beginning with 11. Fox did not appear in the results by name or in that time or place, the closest match being a 1:06:54 gross, 1:06:50 net finish time with a 31:21 10 km split for 18th place in the JAAF-registered division and 209th overall by bib number 1129, registered to a non-Japanese Tokyo-resident club runner. The club runner, Harrisson Uk , readily confirmed that he had given his bib to Fox, saying, "I gave my number to Matt. It wasn't me."...

How it Happened

Ancient History I went to Wesleyan University, where the legend of four-time Boston Marathon champ and Wes alum Bill Rodgers hung heavy over the cross-country team. Inspired by Koichi Morishita and Young-Cho Hwang’s duel at the 1992 Barcelona Olympics I ran my first marathon in 1993, qualifying for Boston ’94 where Bill was kind enough to sign a star-struck 20-year-old me’s bib number at the expo. Three years later I moved to Japan for grad school, and through a long string of coincidences I came across a teenaged kid named Yuki Kawauchi down at my neighborhood track. I never imagined he’d become what he is, but right from the start there was just something different about him. After his 2:08:37 breakthrough at the 2011 Tokyo Marathon he called me up and asked me to help him get into races abroad. He’d finished 3rd on the brutal downhill Sixth Stage at the Hakone Ekiden, and given how he’d run the hills in the last 6 km at Tokyo ’11 I thought he’d do well at Boston or New York. “I...