Skip to main content

Chuo Gakuin Captain Hiro Konda Wins Tachikawa Half in 1:02:11


The Tachikawa City Half Marathon took place Sunday, Mar. 9 in Showa Kinen Park, Tokyo. Chuo Gakuin University's new 2025-26 season captain Hiro Konda ran 1:02:11 to take the overall win. 2nd last year, Kondo showed the growth of his strength. "We all ran with the image of the Hakone Ekiden Yosenkai* in our minds," he said. "Every second, every meter mattered, so I was totally focused on winning." Yuta Asakawa of Teikyo University was 2nd in 1:02:29, with Yusei Tomita of Nihon University 3rd in 1:02:47.

With the win the priority over time, Konda's plan was to take the lead in middle of the race once they hit the hillier part of the course. But feeling that the pace was too slow while he looked for a place to make a move, Konda picked it up on a downhill with about 3 km to go. "Just like I expected, I started to pull away, so I pushed it from there," he said.

The Tachikawa City Half had hosted the National University Men's Half Marathon Championships since 2003, but this year the collegiate championships relocated to February's Kagawa Marugame International Half Marathon. "There wasn't much strong competition this time," said Konda. "Coach Kawasaki gave me directions before the race, and I just aimed to take 1st."

Konda takes over as captain from its star runner Reishi Yoshida, who graduates this month. "I have to be the most reliable person on the team," Konda said. "I'm especially careful about my lifestyle and my attitude toward training. I showed the younger guys on the team what it's like to go out front today. Hopefully that'll inspire them to step up and want to do their best too."

Of the new team for next year Konda said that things are gearing up smoothly. "Everyone has a feeling of urgency. They're coming up with creative ways to improve their training on their own and to work on the areas where they're lacking." Chuo Gakuin's goal for the season is to make top 3 at the Yosenkai and earn a qualifying spot at the 2026 Hakone Ekiden. "I want us to be able to smile at the end of the season and feel no regrets," Konda said. "We'll do our best to make that goal a reality."

*The Hakone Ekiden Yosenkai is a half marathon held in October on almost the same course as the Tachikawa City Half and determines which schools qualify for that season's Hakone Ekiden.

Tachikawa City Half Marathon

Showa Kinen Park, Tachikawa, Tokyo, 9 Mar. 2025

Men
1. Hiro Konda (Chuo Gakuin University) - 1:02:11
2. Yuta Asakawa (Teikyo University) - 1:02:29
3. Yusei Tomita (Nihon University) - 1:02:47
4. Soma Nagahara (Juntendo University) - 1:02:57
5. Ikuto Shimizu (Hosei University) - 1:02:58
6. Keiji Hanaoka (Hosei University) - 1:02:59

Women
1. Saki Shimada (Team Shimada) - 1:19:27
2. Tomomi Musembi Nakashima (unattached) - 1:20:50
3. Rina Yonetsu (unattached) - 1:23:57

source article:

Comments

Most-Read This Week

Australian YouTuber Handed Lifetime Ban by Ageo City Half Marathon After Running 1:06 with Another Runner's Bib (updated)

After discussion with their race's chief JAAF referee, on Nov. 27 the organizers of the Ageo City Half Marathon handed down a lifetime ban from their event against 36-year-old Australian Matt Inglis Fox  for running the Nov. 15 race wearing the bib number of another JAAF-registered runner. The incident came to light after Fox posted on his personal Instagram account that he had run a PB of 1:06:33 and finished 203rd in Ageo with a 10 km split of 31:03, along with photos and video of himself in the race wearing a bib number beginning with 11. Fox did not appear in the results by name or in that time or place, the closest match being a 1:06:54 gross, 1:06:50 net finish time with a 31:21 10 km split for 18th place in the JAAF-registered division and 209th overall by bib number 1129, registered to a non-Japanese Tokyo-resident club runner. The club runner, Harrisson Uk , readily confirmed that he had given his bib to Fox, saying, "I gave my number to Matt. It wasn't me."...

How it Happened

Ancient History I went to Wesleyan University, where the legend of four-time Boston Marathon champ and Wes alum Bill Rodgers hung heavy over the cross-country team. Inspired by Koichi Morishita and Young-Cho Hwang’s duel at the 1992 Barcelona Olympics I ran my first marathon in 1993, qualifying for Boston ’94 where Bill was kind enough to sign a star-struck 20-year-old me’s bib number at the expo. Three years later I moved to Japan for grad school, and through a long string of coincidences I came across a teenaged kid named Yuki Kawauchi down at my neighborhood track. I never imagined he’d become what he is, but right from the start there was just something different about him. After his 2:08:37 breakthrough at the 2011 Tokyo Marathon he called me up and asked me to help him get into races abroad. He’d finished 3rd on the brutal downhill Sixth Stage at the Hakone Ekiden, and given how he’d run the hills in the last 6 km at Tokyo ’11 I thought he’d do well at Boston or New York. “I...