Skip to main content

Fifth Stage CR Breaker Yamamoto Named MVP of 100th Hakone Ekiden


Hakone Ekiden organizers KGRR named Yuito Yamamoto (4th yr., Josai University) MVP of this year's 100th running on Jan. 2 and 3. On the uphill Fifth Stage peaking at 874 m, Yamamoto broke the course record for the second year in a row, playing a key role in Josai University achieving its best-ever placing of 3rd. In explaining the reasons for Yamamoto's selection for the award, a KGRR spokesperson said, "He was the only person to set a new CR at this year's race. Setting a new record in cold and rainy weather is something we rated highly."

Yamamoto told reporters, "I'm very grateful to have been given this award. It was a great experience that will have an impact on my future career in running." After graduating, Yamamoto will join the Subaru corporate team in April. "I want to do the marathon," he said. "I want to build myself up to be ready for the next MGC Olympic marathon trials and to make the podium in Los Angeles."

This season Josai placed 3rd at October's Izumo Ekiden and 5th at November's National University Ekiden, both school records. Powered in part by Yamamoto's CR run, their 3rd place at the 100th Hakone Ekiden improved on Josai's previous best placing of 6th at the 2010 and 2012 editions. "We were able to come this far because every runner on the team was serious and gave it their best," said Yamamoto. "That's going to have a good effect on the younger guys on next year's team and beyond. I couldn't be happier."

When Yamamoto broke the Fifth Stage record last year, head coach Seiji Kushibe gave him the nickname "Mountain Fairy" in homage to previous athletes' monikers like God of the Mountain and Mountain King. This year his time of 1:09:14 just missed the historic 1:09:12 set on a slightly different version of the course by the original God of the Mountain, Masato Imai. "I trained an entire year to be ready for this," Yamamoto said. "I had a better feel for the Fifth Stage than anyone else. Even if I'm not going to be one of the Gods of the Mountain, I'm glad to break the CR and leave behind a run that will live in people's memories."

source article:
translated and edited by Brett Larner

Buy Me A Coffee

Comments

Most-Read This Week

Endo, Nishikawa and Yamakawa Announce Corporate Team Changes

The SG Holdings men's corporate team announced on Oct. 1 that long-distance athletes Hyuga Endo and Yuichiro Nishikawa have joined its roster after leaving the Sumitomo Denko team. Endo, 28, won the Junior Olympics 3000 m while at Koriyama Nishi J.H.S. before going on to Gakuho Ishikawa H.S. where he was the the top Japanese placer in the 5000 m at the National High School Championships 2 years in a row. After graduating from Gakuho Ishikawa he joined the Sumitomo Denko team, winning the National Championships 5000 m in 2021. He won gold at the 2023 Asian Championships and represented Japan at the 2022 and 2023 World Championships. "I will give everything I have as part of the team and work hard toward helping it win the New Year Ekiden," he said of his new environment. Of his personal goals he said, "I want to focus on the 5000 m and reach new levels to compete internationally." Nishikawa, 28, was a member of Tokai University 's winning teams at the H...

3 Athletes Provisionally Suspended After Positive Drug Tests at Asian Games (updated)

The International Testing Agency announced on Oct. 2 that provisional suspensions have been imposed on two athletes, Kazakhstan's Aiana Bolatbekkyzy in track and field, and Tajikistan's Issamjon Sharifov in tennis, after they tested positive for prohibited substances at the Asian Games in Nagoya, Aichi. Bolatbekkyzy, 19, tested positive for the steroid drostanolone in a sample collected during an in-competition test at the Games. A diuretic drug was found in the sample collected from Sharifov, 23. Update:  On Oct. 3 a third athlete, kurash wrestler Yash Kumar Chauhan  of India, was provisionally suspended after an in-competition test detected the steroid metandienone, the metabolic modulator GW1516, and the stimulant mephentermine in his system. source article: https://www.sanspo.com/article/20261002-X4FJLT5MMZKFND6WXPOESAKETQ/ translated by Brett Larner