Skip to main content

200 Hometown Supporters Congratulate Kawauchi on Boston Victory


On April 30 Yuki Kawauchi''s hometown of Kuki, Saitama held a party to celebrate his becoming the first Japanese winner of the Boston Marathon in 31 years. Kawauchi told the crowd of local supporters, "This was the most marathonesque marathon of my career as a marathoner."

Over 200 people packed into the Kuki Central Community Center to congratulate him. Excited to see more people than he had expected, Kawauchi spoke for around 38 minutes about his Boston experience, sharing his thoughts and experiences during the race with crowd as he told them, "When I looked through my data on Wikipedia I saw that I had never failed in a rainy weather race. I thought, 'Things are going to go great this time!' Before the race my manager told me, 'This is the day you were born for,' and when I was running it really felt that way, that I had been born to run Boston that day. Even when I was in 2nd I had the kind of rush you get from leading, and that was a lot of fun. Afterward it was so cold that I eventually ended up getting treated in the recovery room."

Upon his triumphant return to Japan Kawauchi shocked everyone by abruptly announcing at the airport that he would retire from his job next year to go pro. Speaking with passion of his decision he said, "I'd like to give lectures to help convey what I've learned around the world. People might wonder if I'm really a pro, but I want to become the only truly professional pro runner." Regarding whether he will try for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics marathon team he was noncommittal as he said, "I won't know until I go pro and try taking on the summer."

At the very end of the event Kawauchi was reunited with his Boston Marathon champion's cup and crown which he had forgotten on the airplane after arriving at Narita. "I'm glad everyone was so happy to get to see the cup," he laughed in embarrassment.


source articles:
https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20180430-00000151-spnannex-spo
https://www.daily.co.jp/general/2018/05/01/0011214301.shtml
translated by Brett Larner

Comments

Most-Read This Week

Asian Games Preview - Entries, Timetable and Live Results

Back in Japan for the first time in 32 years and representing 60% of the world's population, with more athletes competing across all sports than at the Olympics, the Aichi-Nagoya Asian Games are already underway. Athletics competition starts tomorrow and runs through Tuesday the 29th. Some of the biggest names on the entry list include: Rumesh Tharanga Pathirage (SRI) - men's javelin throw - 2026 World Ultimate Championships gold and 2026 Diamond League champion Haruka Kitaguchi (JPN) - women's javelin throw - 2026 World Ultimate Championships and 2024 Paris Olympics gold Birhanu Balew (BRN) - men's 5000 m/10000 m - 2026 Diamond League 5000 m champion Sanghyeok Woo (KOR) - men's high jump - 2025 Tokyo World Championships silver Hayato Katsuki (JPN) - men's marathon race walk - 2025 Tokyo World Championships bronze Abderrahman Samba (QAT) - men's 400 mH - 2025 Tokyo World Championships bronze Jiale Zhang (CHN) - women's hammer throw - 2025 Tokyo W...

Asian Games Competition Schedule

The daily athletics event schedule for September's Aichi-Nagoya Asian Games . Wednesday, Sept. 23 7:30 - Women's / Men's Half Marathon Race Walk Final Thursday, Sept. 24 10:00 - Women's Heptathlon 100 mH 10:20 - Mixed 4x400 m Relay Heats 10:30 - Men's Triple Jump Heats 10:40 - Women's Heptathlon High Jump 19:05 - Men's High Jump Heats 19:13 - Women's Heptathlon Shot Put 19:33 - Women's 100 m Heats 19:44 - Women's Triple Jump Final 20:08 - Men's 100 m Heats 20:55 - Men's Discus Throw Final 21:00 - Women's Heptathlon 200 m 21:25 - Women's 10000 m Final 22:15 - Mixed 4x400 m Relay Final Friday, Sept. 25 10:00 - Women's Heptathlon Long Jump 10:30 - Men's 400 m Heats 11:25 - Women's Heptathlon Javelin Throw 19:05 - Women's Shot Put Final 19:13 - Women's 100 m Semifinal 19:33 - Men's 100 m Semifinal 20:03 - Women's Pole Vault Final 20:11 - Women's Heptathlon 800 m 20:32 - Men's 10000 m Final 20:40 - M...

Updates to Japan's Home Team at Aichi-Nagoya Asian Games

This week the JAAF announced changes to the lineup for its home team at next week's Aichi-Nagoya Asian Games . The main change announced was the withdrawal of Ririka Hironaka from the women's 10000 m, leaving only Nozomi Tanaka to do it as part of a 1500-5000-10000 triple. In theory it seems like it would be pretty easy and swap in an alternate, but apparently not. No announcement of withdrawals for Tomonori Yamaguchi , who missed June's National Championships 5000 m with injury, or high jumper Ryoichi Akamatsu , who hasn't competed since early last October and made the Asian Games team based his 8th-place finish over a year ago at the Tokyo World Championships. Complete entry lists, schedule and results are available here . The latest Japanese team lineup, with current Asian ranking limited to 2 athletes per country, and best performance in 2025-26: Men 100 m 6 - Shuhei Tada (Sumitomo Denko) - 10.10 (+1.4) 9 - Yuki Koike (Sumitomo Denko) - 10.06 (+1.4) 200 m 1 - Tow...