Skip to main content

Yamagata Looking to Stay Calm Carrying Japan's Sprinting Hopes at Asian Games

http://www.nikkansports.com/sports/asia/2014/news/f-sp-tp0-20140923-1371425.html

translated by Brett Larner

The first group of Japanese men's and women's sprinters left from Tokyo's Haneda Airport on Sept. 23 for the Incheon Asian Games in South Korea.  Track and field events begin on the 27th.  Carrying expectations that he will be crowned the fastest man in Asia, sprinter Ryota Yamagata (22, Keio Univ. senior) has built up well toward his season peaking at the Asian Games despite a busy schedule this month that has seen him pick up National University 100 m and 4x400 m titles as well as winning the 100 m at the Sept. 14th Waseda-Keio dual meet.  "This week I haven't been doing much fine-tuning in training, but things have come along," he said confidently.  "I'm going to make the most of the remaining days to finish getting ready."

Favorite Yoshihide Kiryu (1st yr, Toyo Univ.), with a 10.01 best, has withdrawn from the Asian Games due to injury.  There is also hope that Yamagata will clear the 10.0 mark, but, he said of his plans for the Games, "I'm not focused on that.  I just want stay calm and collected all the way to the end.  If I do that then the placing and time will follow."

Comments

Most-Read This Week

Endo, Nishikawa and Yamakawa Announce Corporate Team Changes

The SG Holdings men's corporate team announced on Oct. 1 that long-distance athletes Hyuga Endo and Yuichiro Nishikawa have joined its roster after leaving the Sumitomo Denko team. Endo, 28, won the Junior Olympics 3000 m while at Koriyama Nishi J.H.S. before going on to Gakuho Ishikawa H.S. where he was the the top Japanese placer in the 5000 m at the National High School Championships 2 years in a row. After graduating from Gakuho Ishikawa he joined the Sumitomo Denko team, winning the National Championships 5000 m in 2021. He won gold at the 2023 Asian Championships and represented Japan at the 2022 and 2023 World Championships. "I will give everything I have as part of the team and work hard toward helping it win the New Year Ekiden," he said of his new environment. Of his personal goals he said, "I want to focus on the 5000 m and reach new levels to compete internationally." Nishikawa, 28, was a member of Tokai University 's winning teams at the H...

3 Athletes Provisionally Suspended After Positive Drug Tests at Asian Games (updated)

The International Testing Agency announced on Oct. 2 that provisional suspensions have been imposed on two athletes, Kazakhstan's Aiana Bolatbekkyzy in track and field, and Tajikistan's Issamjon Sharifov in tennis, after they tested positive for prohibited substances at the Asian Games in Nagoya, Aichi. Bolatbekkyzy, 19, tested positive for the steroid drostanolone in a sample collected during an in-competition test at the Games. A diuretic drug was found in the sample collected from Sharifov, 23. Update:  On Oct. 3 a third athlete, kurash wrestler Yash Kumar Chauhan  of India, was provisionally suspended after an in-competition test detected the steroid metandienone, the metabolic modulator GW1516, and the stimulant mephentermine in his system. source article: https://www.sanspo.com/article/20261002-X4FJLT5MMZKFND6WXPOESAKETQ/ translated by Brett Larner