Skip to main content

Kiryu Confident Ahead of Shot at First Japanese Sub-10: "I Want to Go Out There and Have Some Fun"

http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20130504-00000224-sph-spo

translated by Brett Larner

At a Tokyo-area press conference on May 4 promoting the May 5 Seiko Golden Grand Prix Tokyo track and field meet at Tokyo's National Stadium, the new star of the men's 100 m, Yoshihide Kiryu (17, Rakunan H.S.), appeared confident before his shot at the first Japanese men's sub-10 clocking, revealing that his mental keywords ahead of the race are "fun" and "second half."

At the April 29 Oda Memorial Meet Kiryu ran 10.01, the all-time second-fastest Japanese men's time and both tying the world junior record and clearing the Japanese Federation's criteria for the Moscow World Championships team.  "That time surprised me too," said Kiryu.  "but I've gotten myself together mentally and I'm ready to take on this race."

Having reviewed videos of his race at home he feels that he now understands what he needs to do to achieve a 9-second clocking.  The first point he brought up was improving the second half of his race.  "The start and the middle part of the race were good, but in the second half I lost power in my stride," he said.  "I was too conscious of the finish line and leaned 10 meters too soon.  My goal this time is to stay focused straight ahead."  By raising his line of focus he plans to run through the line and believes that will allow him to hit his time goal.

Kiryu also places importance on his mental state.  "I always enjoy my running and get good times as a result, so this time I want to go out there and have some fun when I run," he said.  "If I stay relaxed I think I'll run a fast time."  Tokyo will be his first time racing foreign competition, but even so Kiryu was confident and self-composed at the press conference, without stress, anxiety or aggression but hopeful and looking forward to the main event.  Asked about what foreign athletes he would most like to race, the high school senior brought up 9.58 world record holder Usain Bolt of Jamaica.  Joining Bolt sub-10 is only the first step on the road to Kiryu achieving his dreams.  "I want to run a faster time than I did at the Oda Memorial Meet," he said.  "I'm ready to put myself into making that happen."

Yoshihide Kiryu: Born Dec. 15, 1995 in Hikone, Shiga.  17 years old.  Senior at Rakunan H.S. in Kyoto.  Played goalkeeper on his elementary school's soccer team but began running as a first-year at Rakunan J.H.S.  At last October's Gifu National Sports Festival 100 m set a world youth record of 10.21, then improved that to 10.19 in November.  175 cm, 68 kg.  Lives with his parents and older brother.

Click here for the IAAF's preview of the the Golden Grand Prix Tokyo meet.  TBS will broadcast the Golden Grand Prix Tokyo meet live from 2:00 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.  Overseas viewers should be able to watch online via Keyhole TV.  Oscar Fernandez reports that there will be overseas streams available here and here as well.

Comments

Most-Read This Week

Endo, Nishikawa and Yamakawa Announce Corporate Team Changes

The SG Holdings men's corporate team announced on Oct. 1 that long-distance athletes Hyuga Endo and Yuichiro Nishikawa have joined its roster after leaving the Sumitomo Denko team. Endo, 28, won the Junior Olympics 3000 m while at Koriyama Nishi J.H.S. before going on to Gakuho Ishikawa H.S. where he was the the top Japanese placer in the 5000 m at the National High School Championships 2 years in a row. After graduating from Gakuho Ishikawa he joined the Sumitomo Denko team, winning the National Championships 5000 m in 2021. He won gold at the 2023 Asian Championships and represented Japan at the 2022 and 2023 World Championships. "I will give everything I have as part of the team and work hard toward helping it win the New Year Ekiden," he said of his new environment. Of his personal goals he said, "I want to focus on the 5000 m and reach new levels to compete internationally." Nishikawa, 28, was a member of Tokai University 's winning teams at the H...

3 Athletes Provisionally Suspended After Positive Drug Tests at Asian Games (updated)

The International Testing Agency announced on Oct. 2 that provisional suspensions have been imposed on two athletes, Kazakhstan's Aiana Bolatbekkyzy in track and field, and Tajikistan's Issamjon Sharifov in tennis, after they tested positive for prohibited substances at the Asian Games in Nagoya, Aichi. Bolatbekkyzy, 19, tested positive for the steroid drostanolone in a sample collected during an in-competition test at the Games. A diuretic drug was found in the sample collected from Sharifov, 23. Update:  On Oct. 3 a third athlete, kurash wrestler Yash Kumar Chauhan  of India, was provisionally suspended after an in-competition test detected the steroid metandienone, the metabolic modulator GW1516, and the stimulant mephentermine in his system. source article: https://www.sanspo.com/article/20261002-X4FJLT5MMZKFND6WXPOESAKETQ/ translated by Brett Larner

Australian YouTuber Handed Lifetime Ban by Ageo City Half Marathon After Running 1:06 with Another Runner's Bib (updated)

After discussion with their race's chief JAAF referee, on Nov. 27 the organizers of the Ageo City Half Marathon handed down a lifetime ban from their event against 36-year-old Australian Matt Inglis Fox  for running the Nov. 15 race wearing the bib number of another JAAF-registered runner. The incident came to light after Fox posted on his personal Instagram account that he had run a PB of 1:06:33 and finished 203rd in Ageo with a 10 km split of 31:03, along with photos and video of himself in the race wearing a bib number beginning with 11. Fox did not appear in the results by name or in that time or place, the closest match being a 1:06:54 gross, 1:06:50 net finish time with a 31:21 10 km split for 18th place in the JAAF-registered division and 209th overall by bib number 1129, registered to a non-Japanese Tokyo-resident club runner. The club runner, Harrisson Uk , readily confirmed that he had given his bib to Fox, saying, "I gave my number to Matt. It wasn't me."...