Skip to main content

Kawauchi Declines Prizes After Winning Toyohiragawa Half Marathon: "I'm Here for the People"

http://hochi.yomiuri.co.jp/sports/etc/news/20130505-OHT1T00169.htm
http://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2013/05/06/kiji/K20130506005745840.html

translated and edited by Brett Larner

Civil servant runner Yuki Kawauchi (26, Saitama Pref. Gov't) won the 25th anniversary Toyohiragawa Half Marathon in Sapporo on May 5, running a solo 1:05:45.  A day earlier, Kawauchi also ran the May 4 Kasukabe Odako Half Marathon at home in Saitama.  "That's a first even for me," he said.  After finishing Toyohiragawa, he declined to be named winner and turned down the prizes.  With no top-level corporate or university competition in the race, Kawauchi said, "It wouldn't be right to accept prizes.  I'm here for the people, and if that helps make the race more popular then I've accomplished my mission."  He then went out into the crowds to greet fans, smiling and talking to them one by one. Appearing onstage as a presenter at the award ceremony, he was greeted by an ovation of cheers.  "I've never done back-to-back half marathon races before, but in training I do that kind of distance all the time," he said onstage.  "It was a good experience."

Toyohiragawa was Kawauchi's first time back in Hokkaido since winning last August's Hokkaido Marathon.  "The conditions were good [9 degrees], so I ran at a good pace."  He was scheduled to head home the afternoon of the 6th, but, he said, "I want to go to Koganeyu hot springs so I can relax and fully recover."  Even with only a few hours on his hands Kawauchi planned to get the most out of his time in Hokkaido.  Before August's World Championships marathon he plans to run three more races in Hokkaido, including the June 2 Chitose JAL International Marathon.  "I want to use Chitose to help myself visualize the World Championships marathon," he said, indicating how important a role Hokkaido plays in his preparations to take on the best in the world.

Comments

Steve Lafler said…
Whatever pleases Kawauchi is fine, he is a great athlete. But there is nothing wrong with accepting prize money. After all, it is a professional sport.

I do not find any moral superiority in his position.
Brett Larner said…
He wasn't talking about prize money or in a general way. His comments were specific to doing this amateur-level race as a training run the day after another training run performance at another amateur-level race. He was satisfied with pleasing his fans and didn't want to take whatever prizes this race offered (a trophy, fruit, tuna, etc.) away from amateurs who had raced it seriously. It isn't a question of 'moral superiority.'
As if another reason to like the guy was necessary. Cool story. I'll always be a fan!
John Taninecz said…
Truly inspirational and graceous.

Most-Read This Week

Endo, Nishikawa and Yamakawa Announce Corporate Team Changes

The SG Holdings men's corporate team announced on Oct. 1 that long-distance athletes Hyuga Endo and Yuichiro Nishikawa have joined its roster after leaving the Sumitomo Denko team. Endo, 28, won the Junior Olympics 3000 m while at Koriyama Nishi J.H.S. before going on to Gakuho Ishikawa H.S. where he was the the top Japanese placer in the 5000 m at the National High School Championships 2 years in a row. After graduating from Gakuho Ishikawa he joined the Sumitomo Denko team, winning the National Championships 5000 m in 2021. He won gold at the 2023 Asian Championships and represented Japan at the 2022 and 2023 World Championships. "I will give everything I have as part of the team and work hard toward helping it win the New Year Ekiden," he said of his new environment. Of his personal goals he said, "I want to focus on the 5000 m and reach new levels to compete internationally." Nishikawa, 28, was a member of Tokai University 's winning teams at the H...

3 Athletes Provisionally Suspended After Positive Drug Tests at Asian Games (updated)

The International Testing Agency announced on Oct. 2 that provisional suspensions have been imposed on two athletes, Kazakhstan's Aiana Bolatbekkyzy in track and field, and Tajikistan's Issamjon Sharifov in tennis, after they tested positive for prohibited substances at the Asian Games in Nagoya, Aichi. Bolatbekkyzy, 19, tested positive for the steroid drostanolone in a sample collected during an in-competition test at the Games. A diuretic drug was found in the sample collected from Sharifov, 23. Update:  On Oct. 3 a third athlete, kurash wrestler Yash Kumar Chauhan  of India, was provisionally suspended after an in-competition test detected the steroid metandienone, the metabolic modulator GW1516, and the stimulant mephentermine in his system. source article: https://www.sanspo.com/article/20261002-X4FJLT5MMZKFND6WXPOESAKETQ/ translated by Brett Larner

Australian YouTuber Handed Lifetime Ban by Ageo City Half Marathon After Running 1:06 with Another Runner's Bib (updated)

After discussion with their race's chief JAAF referee, on Nov. 27 the organizers of the Ageo City Half Marathon handed down a lifetime ban from their event against 36-year-old Australian Matt Inglis Fox  for running the Nov. 15 race wearing the bib number of another JAAF-registered runner. The incident came to light after Fox posted on his personal Instagram account that he had run a PB of 1:06:33 and finished 203rd in Ageo with a 10 km split of 31:03, along with photos and video of himself in the race wearing a bib number beginning with 11. Fox did not appear in the results by name or in that time or place, the closest match being a 1:06:54 gross, 1:06:50 net finish time with a 31:21 10 km split for 18th place in the JAAF-registered division and 209th overall by bib number 1129, registered to a non-Japanese Tokyo-resident club runner. The club runner, Harrisson Uk , readily confirmed that he had given his bib to Fox, saying, "I gave my number to Matt. It wasn't me."...