Skip to main content

Kawauchi Announces Bid For Governor of Saitama (updated)

http://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2013/03/30/kiji/K20130330005505240.html

translated and edited by Brett Larner

Like his running, Saitama's civil servant runner is set to take his moniker to the next level. Having renewed his assignment as an office worker at Kasukabe High School for the fiscal year beginning Apr. 1, at a press conference on Mar. 29 Yuki Kawauchi, 26, announced that he will run for governor of Saitama in the upcoming prefectural elections. "I want to do my best for all the people of Saitama," Kawauchi told reporters.

Although he has been courted by leaders of various political parties throughout his rise to fame as Saitama's leading citizen over the last two years, Kawauchi will run as an independent. "Political parties serve a role for people who can't think for themselves or like to follow others, but that's not who I am," Kawauchi said.  "I think there are a lot of other people like me and I want to show them that they have a voice too."  Polling in Saitama following his announcement indicated widespread support for Kawauchi.  Among adults 20 or older, 81.4% of respondents said they favor his entry into the race.

Kawauchi's announcement has caused consternation among Japan's major political parties, not least of all for current governor Kiyoshi Ueda, 64, a former member of the Democratic Party of Japan who currently sits as an independent.  A longtime Kawauchi supporter, Ueda famously dubbed him 'the Rocky of the marathon world' following Kawauchi's breakthrough run at the 2011 Tokyo Marathon.  "He's got his way of doing things and we want to respect that, but we have to see if there isn't someplace that we can compromise," commented Ueda. "I have to have a one-on-one meeting with him to make sure he understands the election procedure."

If elected, Kawauchi says he intends to keep working in the Kasukabe H.S. office and to continue his marathon career.  He is a favorite to make the Japanese marathon team for August's Moscow World Championships.  "I'm going to do everything I can to meet my competitors on the starting line in the best condition possible!" Kawauchi said.  His next race is the Apr. 7 Satte Sakura 10 Mile Road Race in Satte, Saitama.

Update: This was an April Fools' Day joke.  Kawauchi is not running for governor of Saitama.  Yet.

Comments

Sam Grotewold said…
He is just the best.
Patrick Voo said…
agreed sam - yuki kawauchi rocks.
IvyChang said…
HaHaHa... I got fooled. Nice try.
Patrick Voo said…
nice one brett - still, if wesley korir can become a member of kenyan parliament, i wouldn't put it past kawauchi to take on yet another challenge!

Most-Read This Week

Australian YouTuber Handed Lifetime Ban by Ageo City Half Marathon After Running 1:06 with Another Runner's Bib (updated)

After discussion with their race's chief JAAF referee, on Nov. 27 the organizers of the Ageo City Half Marathon handed down a lifetime ban from their event against 36-year-old Australian Matt Inglis Fox  for running the Nov. 15 race wearing the bib number of another JAAF-registered runner. The incident came to light after Fox posted on his personal Instagram account that he had run a PB of 1:06:33 and finished 203rd in Ageo with a 10 km split of 31:03, along with photos and video of himself in the race wearing a bib number beginning with 11. Fox did not appear in the results by name or in that time or place, the closest match being a 1:06:54 gross, 1:06:50 net finish time with a 31:21 10 km split for 18th place in the JAAF-registered division and 209th overall by bib number 1129, registered to a non-Japanese Tokyo-resident club runner. The club runner, Harrisson Uk , readily confirmed that he had given his bib to Fox, saying, "I gave my number to Matt. It wasn't me."...

How it Happened

Ancient History I went to Wesleyan University, where the legend of four-time Boston Marathon champ and Wes alum Bill Rodgers hung heavy over the cross-country team. Inspired by Koichi Morishita and Young-Cho Hwang’s duel at the 1992 Barcelona Olympics I ran my first marathon in 1993, qualifying for Boston ’94 where Bill was kind enough to sign a star-struck 20-year-old me’s bib number at the expo. Three years later I moved to Japan for grad school, and through a long string of coincidences I came across a teenaged kid named Yuki Kawauchi down at my neighborhood track. I never imagined he’d become what he is, but right from the start there was just something different about him. After his 2:08:37 breakthrough at the 2011 Tokyo Marathon he called me up and asked me to help him get into races abroad. He’d finished 3rd on the brutal downhill Sixth Stage at the Hakone Ekiden, and given how he’d run the hills in the last 6 km at Tokyo ’11 I thought he’d do well at Boston or New York. “I...