Skip to main content

Tokyo 2020 Bid Chairman Inose on NYT Report of His Criticism of Rivals: "My True Meaning Was Not Accurately Conveyed"

http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20130429-00000095-jij-spo

translated by Brett Larner

In response to an article in the American New York Times newspaper reporting negative comments by Tokyo 2020 Olympic bid chairman and Tokyo governor Naoki Inose about Tokyo's rivals for the 2020 summer Olympics, on April 29 Governor Inose commented, "The focus of the article made it sound if Tokyo was criticizing the other candidate cities, but my true meaning was not accurately conveyed."

International Olympic Committee conduct guidelines for bid candidates specify, "Cities shall refrain from any act or comment likely to tarnish the image of a rival city or be prejudicial to it.  Any comparison with other cities is strictly forbidden."  With regard to this stipulation Governor Inose said, "I fully comprehend the regulations and am in compliance with them."  He added, "Personally I like Istanbul just fine.  I have no intent whatsoever to criticize the other bid candidate cities and it is extremely unfortunate that an article taking what was said in an interview out of context like this was released."

Update: Japanese broadcast media are now reporting a statement from the New York Times saying, "We have complete faith in the accuracy of the reporting in this article."

Additional English-language articles on the Inose situation:

Tokyo 2020 facing IOC Ethics Commission rap after Governor's comments about Istanbul -- Inside the Games

Tokyo’s 2020 Olympics bid faces reprimand for Inose’s comments on Istanbul -- Japan Daily Press

Tokyo 2020 organizers say they ‘respect’ IOC bid rules after governor’s remarks on Istanbul -- Washington Post

Comments

Most-Read This Week

Australian YouTuber Handed Lifetime Ban by Ageo City Half Marathon After Running 1:06 with Another Runner's Bib (updated)

After discussion with their race's chief JAAF referee, on Nov. 27 the organizers of the Ageo City Half Marathon handed down a lifetime ban from their event against 36-year-old Australian Matt Inglis Fox  for running the Nov. 15 race wearing the bib number of another JAAF-registered runner. The incident came to light after Fox posted on his personal Instagram account that he had run a PB of 1:06:33 and finished 203rd in Ageo with a 10 km split of 31:03, along with photos and video of himself in the race wearing a bib number beginning with 11. Fox did not appear in the results by name or in that time or place, the closest match being a 1:06:54 gross, 1:06:50 net finish time with a 31:21 10 km split for 18th place in the JAAF-registered division and 209th overall by bib number 1129, registered to a non-Japanese Tokyo-resident club runner. The club runner, Harrisson Uk , readily confirmed that he had given his bib to Fox, saying, "I gave my number to Matt. It wasn't me."...

How it Happened

Ancient History I went to Wesleyan University, where the legend of four-time Boston Marathon champ and Wes alum Bill Rodgers hung heavy over the cross-country team. Inspired by Koichi Morishita and Young-Cho Hwang’s duel at the 1992 Barcelona Olympics I ran my first marathon in 1993, qualifying for Boston ’94 where Bill was kind enough to sign a star-struck 20-year-old me’s bib number at the expo. Three years later I moved to Japan for grad school, and through a long string of coincidences I came across a teenaged kid named Yuki Kawauchi down at my neighborhood track. I never imagined he’d become what he is, but right from the start there was just something different about him. After his 2:08:37 breakthrough at the 2011 Tokyo Marathon he called me up and asked me to help him get into races abroad. He’d finished 3rd on the brutal downhill Sixth Stage at the Hakone Ekiden, and given how he’d run the hills in the last 6 km at Tokyo ’11 I thought he’d do well at Boston or New York. “I...