Skip to main content

Florence Kiplagat, Youngjun Ji Headline Sapporo International Half Marathon

http://hochi.yomiuri.co.jp/sports/etc/news/20110616-OHT1T00176.htm?from=related

translated and edited by Brett Larner

On June 16 Rikuren announced the elite field for the July 3 Sapporo International Half Marathon. Headlining the race are 2010 World Half Marathon women's champion Florence Jebet Kiplagat (Kenya) and 2010 Asian Games men's marathon gold medalist Youngjun Ji (Korea). Defending champions Cyrus Njui (Kenya/Team Hitachi Cable) and Yuri Kano (Second Wind AC) and 2009 Sapporo winner Gideon Ngatuny (Kenya/Team Nissin Shokuhin) will also return.

At the top of the domestic men's field are three members of the Japanese team for this summer's Daegu World Championships marathon, Yuki Kawauchi (Saitama Pref.), Yoshinori Oda (Team Toyota) and Kentaro Nakamoto (Team Yasukawa Denki). Also in the women's race is 10000 m national record holder Yoko Shibui (Team Mitsui Sumitomo Kaijo). The popular Kawauchi will run Sapporo as one of four tuneup races for the World Championships. "I'd like to break my PB [1:02:40]," he commented when asked about his plans for the race.

Comments

Rob Cunningham said…
Will the Korean runner come after the bombshell about doping involving Korean National Marathon Team coach?
Brett Larner said…
Hmmn, I hadn't heard yet at the time I put this up. Good question. According to this article it looks like anonymous allegations at this stage:

http://www.supersport.com/athletics/international/news/110617/Top_marathon_coach_probed

Bummer if true as we are fans of Ji's.
Anonymous said…
Kind of surprised to read you´re fans of Ji´s. After the Asian Games marathon last year you called his run "unsportsmanlike", "remarkably dirty" etc.

Joe
Brett Larner said…
I described his run at the Asian Games as "outstanding if unsportsmanlike," which it was. He ran a great race and it was a shame he had to tarnish it by interfering with Shami's run.
Kevin said…
Yoko Shibui pulls out of Sapporo.

Most-Read This Week

Australian YouTuber Handed Lifetime Ban by Ageo City Half Marathon After Running 1:06 with Another Runner's Bib (updated)

After discussion with their race's chief JAAF referee, on Nov. 27 the organizers of the Ageo City Half Marathon handed down a lifetime ban from their event against 36-year-old Australian Matt Inglis Fox  for running the Nov. 15 race wearing the bib number of another JAAF-registered runner. The incident came to light after Fox posted on his personal Instagram account that he had run a PB of 1:06:33 and finished 203rd in Ageo with a 10 km split of 31:03, along with photos and video of himself in the race wearing a bib number beginning with 11. Fox did not appear in the results by name or in that time or place, the closest match being a 1:06:54 gross, 1:06:50 net finish time with a 31:21 10 km split for 18th place in the JAAF-registered division and 209th overall by bib number 1129, registered to a non-Japanese Tokyo-resident club runner. The club runner, Harrisson Uk , readily confirmed that he had given his bib to Fox, saying, "I gave my number to Matt. It wasn't me."...

How it Happened

Ancient History I went to Wesleyan University, where the legend of four-time Boston Marathon champ and Wes alum Bill Rodgers hung heavy over the cross-country team. Inspired by Koichi Morishita and Young-Cho Hwang’s duel at the 1992 Barcelona Olympics I ran my first marathon in 1993, qualifying for Boston ’94 where Bill was kind enough to sign a star-struck 20-year-old me’s bib number at the expo. Three years later I moved to Japan for grad school, and through a long string of coincidences I came across a teenaged kid named Yuki Kawauchi down at my neighborhood track. I never imagined he’d become what he is, but right from the start there was just something different about him. After his 2:08:37 breakthrough at the 2011 Tokyo Marathon he called me up and asked me to help him get into races abroad. He’d finished 3rd on the brutal downhill Sixth Stage at the Hakone Ekiden, and given how he’d run the hills in the last 6 km at Tokyo ’11 I thought he’d do well at Boston or New York. “I...