Skip to main content

Kawauchi Fully Recovered and Still Planning to Run Sapporo

http://hochi.yomiuri.co.jp/osaka/sports/article/news/20110621-OHO1T00130.htm

translated by Brett Larner

On the Japanese national team for the Sept. 4 Daegu World Championships men's marathon, Yuki Kawauchi (24, Saitama Pref.), visited an elementary and junior high school on the island of Oki in Shimane prefecture on June 20. A day earlier while running in the lead of the local Okinoshima 50 km ultramarathon Kawauchi passed out in the final few hundred meters and was taken to a hospital for emergency treatment. "I blacked out with somewhere around 1 km left," he said. "When I came to I was in an ambulance. My temperature right afterwards was around 38 degrees, but I'm OK now. I went to pay my respects at my ancestors' graves, and I got a lot of my strength back from all the energy of the children at the school." Declaring that he feels fully recovered, Kawauchi said he plans to resume normal training on June 21 and to run the July 3 Sapporo International Half Marathon as planned.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Glad to see he's alright. I can't wait to see what he will do in the half!

Most-Read This Week

Endo, Nishikawa and Yamakawa Announce Corporate Team Changes

The SG Holdings men's corporate team announced on Oct. 1 that long-distance athletes Hyuga Endo and Yuichiro Nishikawa have joined its roster after leaving the Sumitomo Denko team. Endo, 28, won the Junior Olympics 3000 m while at Koriyama Nishi J.H.S. before going on to Gakuho Ishikawa H.S. where he was the the top Japanese placer in the 5000 m at the National High School Championships 2 years in a row. After graduating from Gakuho Ishikawa he joined the Sumitomo Denko team, winning the National Championships 5000 m in 2021. He won gold at the 2023 Asian Championships and represented Japan at the 2022 and 2023 World Championships. "I will give everything I have as part of the team and work hard toward helping it win the New Year Ekiden," he said of his new environment. Of his personal goals he said, "I want to focus on the 5000 m and reach new levels to compete internationally." Nishikawa, 28, was a member of Tokai University 's winning teams at the H...

3 Athletes Provisionally Suspended After Positive Drug Tests at Asian Games (updated)

The International Testing Agency announced on Oct. 2 that provisional suspensions have been imposed on two athletes, Kazakhstan's Aiana Bolatbekkyzy in track and field, and Tajikistan's Issamjon Sharifov in tennis, after they tested positive for prohibited substances at the Asian Games in Nagoya, Aichi. Bolatbekkyzy, 19, tested positive for the steroid drostanolone in a sample collected during an in-competition test at the Games. A diuretic drug was found in the sample collected from Sharifov, 23. Update:  On Oct. 3 a third athlete, kurash wrestler Yash Kumar Chauhan  of India, was provisionally suspended after an in-competition test detected the steroid metandienone, the metabolic modulator GW1516, and the stimulant mephentermine in his system. source article: https://www.sanspo.com/article/20261002-X4FJLT5MMZKFND6WXPOESAKETQ/ translated by Brett Larner