Skip to main content

Akaba to Run Osaka

http://www.jiji.com/jc/c?g=spo_30&k=2009110300258

translated by Brett Larner

Following her appearance at the Nov. 3 East Japan Jitsugyodan Women's Ekiden, distance runner Yukiko Akaba (Team Hokuren) told reporters, "My first marathon was in Osaka. I think going back to where I started is the best way to get my running back," signalling that she intends to run in the Jan. 31 Osaka International Women's Marathon.

Akaba ran in this past August's World Championships marathon in Berlin, but injured her right foot and finished only 31st. In October she ran the World Half Marathon in Birmingham, England but was 26th after another injury to her left leg. Her injuries have most recovered, and Akaba said, "I'm about 90% OK right now. The World Championships marathon was a terrible experience. I want to have another race that I can look back on as one I enjoyed."

Comments

Kevin said…
I want to see Akaba take the course record. Every year the times are way off 2:21:18. Mizuki Noguchi doesn't deserve the course record. She never show up in osaka.

Most-Read This Week

Australian YouTuber Handed Lifetime Ban by Ageo City Half Marathon After Running 1:06 with Another Runner's Bib (updated)

After discussion with their race's chief JAAF referee, on Nov. 27 the organizers of the Ageo City Half Marathon handed down a lifetime ban from their event against 36-year-old Australian Matt Inglis Fox  for running the Nov. 15 race wearing the bib number of another JAAF-registered runner. The incident came to light after Fox posted on his personal Instagram account that he had run a PB of 1:06:33 and finished 203rd in Ageo with a 10 km split of 31:03, along with photos and video of himself in the race wearing a bib number beginning with 11. Fox did not appear in the results by name or in that time or place, the closest match being a 1:06:54 gross, 1:06:50 net finish time with a 31:21 10 km split for 18th place in the JAAF-registered division and 209th overall by bib number 1129, registered to a non-Japanese Tokyo-resident club runner. The club runner, Harrisson Uk , readily confirmed that he had given his bib to Fox, saying, "I gave my number to Matt. It wasn't me."...

How it Happened

Ancient History I went to Wesleyan University, where the legend of four-time Boston Marathon champ and Wes alum Bill Rodgers hung heavy over the cross-country team. Inspired by Koichi Morishita and Young-Cho Hwang’s duel at the 1992 Barcelona Olympics I ran my first marathon in 1993, qualifying for Boston ’94 where Bill was kind enough to sign a star-struck 20-year-old me’s bib number at the expo. Three years later I moved to Japan for grad school, and through a long string of coincidences I came across a teenaged kid named Yuki Kawauchi down at my neighborhood track. I never imagined he’d become what he is, but right from the start there was just something different about him. After his 2:08:37 breakthrough at the 2011 Tokyo Marathon he called me up and asked me to help him get into races abroad. He’d finished 3rd on the brutal downhill Sixth Stage at the Hakone Ekiden, and given how he’d run the hills in the last 6 km at Tokyo ’11 I thought he’d do well at Boston or New York. “I...