Skip to main content

A New Hope in the Marathon: Ryo Yamamoto

http://www.kobe-np.co.jp/news/sports/0002409811.shtml

translated by Brett Larner

A new hope has taken wing from deep in the heart of the distance running kingdom of Hyogo Prefecture. He is Kobe native Ryo Yamamoto, at age 25 a third-year member of Team Sagawa Express. In his debut marathon at August's Hokkaido Marathon Yamamoto was the top Japanese finisher, showing great promise of being able to take on the world as he came close to running down winner Daniel Njenga (Team Yakult). We talked to him about race, his background, and his plans and dreams for the future.

Your time was 2:12:10. It was a brilliant performance.
Right when I finished I was pretty crushed that the win got away from me, but now that some time has passed I think it's great that I was able to run with some power in my first marathon. They say a marathon starts at 35 km so I tried to hold off [on speeding up] and that's why I was able to run the last part way harder than I expected.

You beat Athens Olympics marathon 6th place finisher Toshinari Suwa (Team Nissin Shokuhin).
I was pretty confident about being able to compete with some of the top people because I got in all the right workouts. I've only seen the very tip of the marathon world so far, but even with just a little experience I was able to act so it helps me set my sights on getting out there and going after the world.

You must have learned a lot at Chuo University.
My second year I fell in a race and smacked my knee. I went back into full training way too quickly and it didn't heal, so I ended up not making the Hakone Ekiden that season. After this failure I realized that to get results I needed to be mentally strong and focused and not to lose sight of who I was and what I wanted.

Why did you join Team Sagawa Express?
I was impressed when Sagawa's Tomoya Shimizu won the 2006 Kumanichi 30 km Road Race, and I thought the team had a good atmosphere. I thought that if I ran there it would help me become a strong marathoner.

What are your aspirations for after this?
I want to help lead the team both when we're running and out of practice so that we have a shot at finishing on the podium at the New Year Ekiden. After that over the winter I want to run a fast marathon for myself. My strengths are the fact that I never get injured and that I'm really tenacious. I think that by finding the things that are hard in training and focusing on those it helps me to respond to anything in a race.

Ryo Yamamoto - Born May 18, 1984 in Kobe. 173 cm, 60 kg. Finished 5th in the National Championships 3000 m as a 3rd year at West Kobe J.H.S. After graduating from Nagata H.S. attended Chuo Univ. where he ran the Hakone Ekiden three times. Advanced rapidly through the field in the 2009 Hokkaido Marathon during the second half of the race, finishing 7 seconds behind winner Daniel Njenga (Team Yakult), clocking a debut time of 2:12:10.

Comments

Most-Read This Week

Asian Games Preview - Entries, Timetable and Live Results

Back in Japan for the first time in 32 years and representing 60% of the world's population, with more athletes competing across all sports than at the Olympics, the Aichi-Nagoya Asian Games are already underway. Athletics competition starts tomorrow and runs through Tuesday the 29th. Some of the biggest names on the entry list include: Rumesh Tharanga Pathirage (SRI) - men's javelin throw - 2026 World Ultimate Championships gold and 2026 Diamond League champion Haruka Kitaguchi (JPN) - women's javelin throw - 2026 World Ultimate Championships and 2024 Paris Olympics gold Birhanu Balew (BRN) - men's 5000 m/10000 m - 2026 Diamond League 5000 m champion Sanghyeok Woo (KOR) - men's high jump - 2025 Tokyo World Championships silver Hayato Katsuki (JPN) - men's marathon race walk - 2025 Tokyo World Championships bronze Abderrahman Samba (QAT) - men's 400 mH - 2025 Tokyo World Championships bronze Jiale Zhang (CHN) - women's hammer throw - 2025 Tokyo W...

Asian Games Competition Schedule

The daily athletics event schedule for September's Aichi-Nagoya Asian Games . Wednesday, Sept. 23 7:30 - Women's / Men's Half Marathon Race Walk Final Thursday, Sept. 24 10:00 - Women's Heptathlon 100 mH 10:20 - Mixed 4x400 m Relay Heats 10:30 - Men's Triple Jump Heats 10:40 - Women's Heptathlon High Jump 19:05 - Men's High Jump Heats 19:13 - Women's Heptathlon Shot Put 19:33 - Women's 100 m Heats 19:44 - Women's Triple Jump Final 20:08 - Men's 100 m Heats 20:55 - Men's Discus Throw Final 21:00 - Women's Heptathlon 200 m 21:25 - Women's 10000 m Final 22:15 - Mixed 4x400 m Relay Final Friday, Sept. 25 10:00 - Women's Heptathlon Long Jump 10:30 - Men's 400 m Heats 11:25 - Women's Heptathlon Javelin Throw 19:05 - Women's Shot Put Final 19:13 - Women's 100 m Semifinal 19:33 - Men's 100 m Semifinal 20:03 - Women's Pole Vault Final 20:11 - Women's Heptathlon 800 m 20:32 - Men's 10000 m Final 20:40 - M...

Endo, Nishikawa and Yamakawa Announce Corporate Team Changes

The SG Holdings men's corporate team announced on Oct. 1 that long-distance athletes Hyuga Endo and Yuichiro Nishikawa have joined its roster after leaving the Sumitomo Denko team. Endo, 28, won the Junior Olympics 3000 m while at Koriyama Nishi J.H.S. before going on to Gakuho Ishikawa H.S. where he was the the top Japanese placer in the 5000 m at the National High School Championships 2 years in a row. After graduating from Gakuho Ishikawa he joined the Sumitomo Denko team, winning the National Championships 5000 m in 2021. He won gold at the 2023 Asian Championships and represented Japan at the 2022 and 2023 World Championships. "I will give everything I have as part of the team and work hard toward helping it win the New Year Ekiden," he said of his new environment. Of his personal goals he said, "I want to focus on the 5000 m and reach new levels to compete internationally." Nishikawa, 28, was a member of Tokai University 's winning teams at the H...