Skip to main content

Kojima Runs 1111th Full Marathon; "Next up is my 1234th!"

http://www.jiji.com/jc/zc?k=200712/2007120300033&rel=j&g=spo

translated by Brett Larner

Giichi Kojima, 65, of Iwatsuki, Saitama Prefecture recently ran his 1111th marathon, the Japanese national record and all-time world #2 ranking. "When I hit my 70's and 80's I still want to be running. My next target is my 1234th marathon," he laughs.

Mr. Kojima ran his first marathon in Feb., 1983 when he was 40 years old. Just under 25 years later, at a race in Fukushima on Nov. 11 he ran 7:01:11 to finish his 1111th marathon. To pull off this perfect match between date and race number he had to run about one marathon a week throughout 2007. The weather was bad on race day, "On the way there I didn't want to do it, but I forced myself to so I could get the record."

Mr. Kojima's best time of 3:07:37 came in 1985. As he has gotten older, "I used to pass people, but now I'm the one being passed." He is not slacking off in his training however, as he runs 10-20 km a day and races around 40 marathons a year. He says the marathon is "Tough, but it's a battle with myself." He sometimes travels to overseas marathons. "I enjoy meeting so many different people through running. The best part, though, is the beer after the race."

Comments

Most-Read This Week

Endo, Nishikawa and Yamakawa Announce Corporate Team Changes

The SG Holdings men's corporate team announced on Oct. 1 that long-distance athletes Hyuga Endo and Yuichiro Nishikawa have joined its roster after leaving the Sumitomo Denko team. Endo, 28, won the Junior Olympics 3000 m while at Koriyama Nishi J.H.S. before going on to Gakuho Ishikawa H.S. where he was the the top Japanese placer in the 5000 m at the National High School Championships 2 years in a row. After graduating from Gakuho Ishikawa he joined the Sumitomo Denko team, winning the National Championships 5000 m in 2021. He won gold at the 2023 Asian Championships and represented Japan at the 2022 and 2023 World Championships. "I will give everything I have as part of the team and work hard toward helping it win the New Year Ekiden," he said of his new environment. Of his personal goals he said, "I want to focus on the 5000 m and reach new levels to compete internationally." Nishikawa, 28, was a member of Tokai University 's winning teams at the H...

3 Athletes Provisionally Suspended After Positive Drug Tests at Asian Games (updated)

The International Testing Agency announced on Oct. 2 that provisional suspensions have been imposed on two athletes, Kazakhstan's Aiana Bolatbekkyzy in track and field, and Tajikistan's Issamjon Sharifov in tennis, after they tested positive for prohibited substances at the Asian Games in Nagoya, Aichi. Bolatbekkyzy, 19, tested positive for the steroid drostanolone in a sample collected during an in-competition test at the Games. A diuretic drug was found in the sample collected from Sharifov, 23. Update:  On Oct. 3 a third athlete, kurash wrestler Yash Kumar Chauhan  of India, was provisionally suspended after an in-competition test detected the steroid metandienone, the metabolic modulator GW1516, and the stimulant mephentermine in his system. source article: https://www.sanspo.com/article/20261002-X4FJLT5MMZKFND6WXPOESAKETQ/ translated by Brett Larner