Skip to main content

On the Loss of the ARRS Database

At some point in the last few months I discovered that both versions of the ARRS database, the static one and the searchable version, are gone. Last week David Monti posted a link to the ARRS history of an event he covered in Race Results Weekly, I guess copying and pasting a link from last year without looking at it, and that reminded me to write something about the loss of the database.

The Association of Road Racing Statisticians was basically a one-man show operated from the remote Northern California shores by Ken Young. When the site existed its intro read:

The Association of Road Racing Statisticians (ARRS) is an independent, non-profit organization that collects, analyses and publishes results and statistics regarding elite distance running at distances 3000m and longer...The data of ARRS is stored in the ARRS database, which has more than 1.3 million performances from more than 240,000 races by more than 95,000 elite and sub-elite distance runners worldwide...This website and the ARRS database has been created entirely through volunteer efforts. Many hundreds of people have contributed race results and other useful information over a period of many years. Some of these people have spent a great deal of time vetting the information, correcting errors, adding missing information, and providing ancillary information.

Ken, and David, first contacted me in the very early days of Japan Running News after I wrote about the 2007 Ageo City Half Marathon, looking for more information about this super-deep race that they knew almost nothing about. Ken asked me if I could provide transliterated results from Ageo down to 1:06:10 for men, and a list of winners going back to its first edition. I found that info and gave it to him, and that was the start of a 10-year stretch as an ARRS contributor, digging up historical Japanese results, correcting things already in the database, and transliterating current results every week to send him. Doing that had a MASSIVE impact on the number of kanji I could read, especially when it comes to unusual name readings, and that's something that still pays off in my day-to-day life now.

Like the ARRS site said, there were hundreds of other people around the world doing the same to some degree, and somehow Ken found the time to compile them all and update the database weekly. When I think about the hundreds, maybe thousands, of hours I personally put into it and multiply that by how many other people were putting their time into it too, it really puts into perspective how priceless the database was. A lot of it could never be reproduced.

And I wasn't just a contributor. I used the database almost every day, both to research things for JRN articles and later in my work as an agent. I found the Marshfield New Year's Day Marathon in the ARRS database while looking for a race Yuki Kawauchi could do around the 2017-18 New Year's holiday when he was going to be spending a few days scoping the course of a bigger race in Massachusetts a few months later. And the rest is history.

In 2015 Ken launched a searchable version of the database thanks in part to collaborator Juraj Gasparovic that made it even more valuable. I couldn't have made the Inside the Outside documentary about the Fukuoka International Marathon without the info I got from the searchable database. In the last couple of years of his life Ken started expressing concern about what was going to happen after he passed, and when that day came in early 2018 the growth of the database slowed to almost zero. Juraj did what he could, but there was almost no way something done on a volunteer basis could keep going without the central person holding it all together with their pure passion.

I lost contact with Juraj in the 8 years since then, although I still used both versions of the database to some degree pretty regularly. I don't know what happened earlier this year, whether he just stopped paying to maintain a server, if the database sites were hacked, or what. Luckily the Internet Archive's Wayback Machine has archived the static version, and everything seems to be there, from Ageo to Marshfield. But only the landing page of the searchable version seems to have been archived and it doesn't work anymore.

There are other athletics databases out there like Tilastopaja and World Athletics, although WA's is full of intentional omissions that make it unreliable. But the ARRS database was full of interesting esoterica that neither of those touches. The Wayback Machine archiving part of it means it's not a complete loss, for now, anyway. But it really illustrates how tenuous the modern world is. Tens of thousands of hours of work by dedicated, passionate people to build something, in this case documenting the life work of tens of thousands of other people who'd dedicated their lives to the sport, and it can all just be memory holed in a second, apparently without anyone noticing.

I was at a party a year and a half ago and a friend asked why I've never moved JRN off of Blogger. I said it was because the editor window had a "Delete Blog" button and I could just get rid of it forever whenever I wanted. He said, "You can't do that, it's a 20-year archive!" I said, "Don't think of it as an archive. Think of it as a meditation on the transient nature of the human experience."

That was a joke, mostly, but the ARRS sites vanishing show the truth. Independent things like the ARRS, David's Race Results Weekly, JRN, these days pretty much any Youtuber, almost 100% rely on one dedicated, passionate person. At some point that's going to come to an end one way or another, and after that it's only a matter of time before all that work is gone. That's always been the case to some point, of course, but at least when physical media were still a thing that process took a lot longer. It's hard not to read into that and see the larger risks of the world we've built.

I'm just writing this off the top of my head and don't have a particular conclusion or message in mind, so I'm stopping here and having dinner. I do actually see JRN in a big part as an archive these days. I guess Google can just pull the plug on this platform at any time, in which case who knows. They've definitely made changes to the platform that make it harder to use, like everything else. But even though it's harder now to always put the time in every day, I don't have any plans to stop anytime soon. Or to push the button in the editor window.

© 2026 Brett Larner, all rights reserved

Buy Me A Coffee

Comments

Anonymous said…
A real tragedy!!! Now we can't know what races are statistically valid or not according to ARRS standards.
TokyoRacer said…
May JRN live long and prosper! And remain around even if Google pulls the plug or the AIs take over.

Most-Read This Week

Asian Games Preview - Entries, Timetable and Live Results

Back in Japan for the first time in 32 years and representing 60% of the world's population, with more athletes competing across all sports than at the Olympics, the Aichi-Nagoya Asian Games are already underway. Athletics competition starts tomorrow and runs through Tuesday the 29th. Some of the biggest names on the entry list include: Rumesh Tharanga Pathirage (SRI) - men's javelin throw - 2026 World Ultimate Championships gold and 2026 Diamond League champion Haruka Kitaguchi (JPN) - women's javelin throw - 2026 World Ultimate Championships and 2024 Paris Olympics gold Birhanu Balew (BRN) - men's 5000 m/10000 m - 2026 Diamond League 5000 m champion Sanghyeok Woo (KOR) - men's high jump - 2025 Tokyo World Championships silver Hayato Katsuki (JPN) - men's marathon race walk - 2025 Tokyo World Championships bronze Abderrahman Samba (QAT) - men's 400 mH - 2025 Tokyo World Championships bronze Jiale Zhang (CHN) - women's hammer throw - 2025 Tokyo W...

Asian Games Competition Schedule

The daily athletics event schedule for September's Aichi-Nagoya Asian Games . Wednesday, Sept. 23 7:30 - Women's / Men's Half Marathon Race Walk Final Thursday, Sept. 24 10:00 - Women's Heptathlon 100 mH 10:20 - Mixed 4x400 m Relay Heats 10:30 - Men's Triple Jump Heats 10:40 - Women's Heptathlon High Jump 19:05 - Men's High Jump Heats 19:13 - Women's Heptathlon Shot Put 19:33 - Women's 100 m Heats 19:44 - Women's Triple Jump Final 20:08 - Men's 100 m Heats 20:55 - Men's Discus Throw Final 21:00 - Women's Heptathlon 200 m 21:25 - Women's 10000 m Final 22:15 - Mixed 4x400 m Relay Final Friday, Sept. 25 10:00 - Women's Heptathlon Long Jump 10:30 - Men's 400 m Heats 11:25 - Women's Heptathlon Javelin Throw 19:05 - Women's Shot Put Final 19:13 - Women's 100 m Semifinal 19:33 - Men's 100 m Semifinal 20:03 - Women's Pole Vault Final 20:11 - Women's Heptathlon 800 m 20:32 - Men's 10000 m Final 20:40 - M...

Updates to Japan's Home Team at Aichi-Nagoya Asian Games

This week the JAAF announced changes to the lineup for its home team at next week's Aichi-Nagoya Asian Games . The main change announced was the withdrawal of Ririka Hironaka from the women's 10000 m, leaving only Nozomi Tanaka to do it as part of a 1500-5000-10000 triple. In theory it seems like it would be pretty easy and swap in an alternate, but apparently not. No announcement of withdrawals for Tomonori Yamaguchi , who missed June's National Championships 5000 m with injury, or high jumper Ryoichi Akamatsu , who hasn't competed since early last October and made the Asian Games team based his 8th-place finish over a year ago at the Tokyo World Championships. Complete entry lists, schedule and results are available here . The latest Japanese team lineup, with current Asian ranking limited to 2 athletes per country, and best performance in 2025-26: Men 100 m 6 - Shuhei Tada (Sumitomo Denko) - 10.10 (+1.4) 9 - Yuki Koike (Sumitomo Denko) - 10.06 (+1.4) 200 m 1 - Tow...