Skip to main content

Hokkaido Marathon Elite Field


The Hokkaido Marathon happens Aug. 30 in Sapporo. Although it's not a top-tier race on the global schedule, the JAAF gives it special status in qualification for the MGC Race Los Angeles Olympics marathon trials, with 3 spots available to men who run under 2:12:00 and women under 2:32:00. Compare that to the criteria for making the trials by running the WA platinum label Sydney Marathon the same day, where men have to run under 2:06:30 and women 2:23:30 regardless of how they place. It's hard to see that as anything other than disincentivizing Japanese runners from racing abroad, with protecting the JAAF's financial interest in domestic races being the priority over getting the best athletes into the Olympic trials.

But anyway, there are pretty good fields of people willing to not step out of line. All 6 women with marathon finishes to their name have run under 2:30 in the last 3 years led by veteran Hitomi Niiya with a 2:21:50 in Tokyo 2 years ago. Most are in the 2:26-27 range, giving them a decent margin of comfort under the 2:32:00 trials standard even though Hokkaido tends to be warmer than ideal. 3 good newcomers join them too, with Amisa Murayama having run the first 30 km of January's Osaka Women's Marathon in 1:41:43 before stopping as planned, Shiori Yoshizono with a 1:08:21 half best, and collegiate 10000 m record holder Seira Fuwa making an early debut. Tokyo Olympics 5000 m runner Kaede Hagitani will also debut.

Simon Kariuki is the fastest man in the field with a 2:06:29 best, but of course he doesn't count in trials qualification. Yuta Koyama and Masato Arao are the fastest current Japanese men in the field, Koyama in 2:07:25 in Osaka this year and Arao with a 2:07:42 for 6th in Sydney last year, a performance worth at least a 2:05 on a flat course. Arao is recovering from an injury in the spring and looked good pacing the Gold Coast Marathon this past weekend, but there is a lot of competition at the 2:08-09 level and top 3 won't be easy for anyone. Throw in Osaka Marathon front-running wildman Hibiki Yoshida, who has hopefully worked out the fueling issues that cost him a massive performance in Osaka, and it's hard to pick who will fill out the 3 spots in the trials field.

Hokkaido Marathon

Sapporo, Hokkaido, 30 Aug. 2026
times listed are athletes' best in last 3 years except where noted

Women
Hitomi Niiya (Sekisui Kagaku) - 2:21:50 (Tokyo 2024)
Hikaru Kitagawa (Univ. Ent.) - 2:26:37 (Nagoya 2026)
Sakiho Tsutsui (Univ. Ent.) - 2:26:45 (Nagoya 2026)
Madoka Nakano (Iwatani Sangyo) - 2:26:50 (Osaka Women's 2024)
Nanaka Izawa (Starts) - 2:27:45 (Osaka Women's 2026)
Kaena Takeyama (Toto) - 2:29:40 (Nagoya 2025)
Amisa Murayama (Tohoku Fukushi Univ.) - 1:41:43 (30 km, Osaka Women's 2026)
Shiori Yoshizono (Tenmaya) - 1:08:21 (Sanyo Half 2024)
Seira Fuwa (Mitsui Sumitomo Kaijo) - 1:09:39 (Nat'l Corp. Half 2026)
Kaede Hagitani (Saku T&F) - 1:11:59 (Tokyo Legacy Half 2025)

Men
Simon Kariuki (Kenya/Togami) - 2:06:29 (Tokyo 2024)
Yuta Koyama (Toenec) - 2:07:25 (Osaka 2026)
Masato Arao (ND Software) - 2:07:42 (Sydney 2025)
Jin Yuasa (Toyota) - 2:08:27 (Osaka 2026)
Tetsuya Yoroizaka (Asahi Kasei) - 2:08:34 (Beijing 2024)
Shuho Dairokuno (Asahi Kasei) - 2:08:35 (Osaka 2026)
Kento Nishi (Osaka Gas) - 2:08:49 (Osaka 2026)
Masatoshi Sakata (NTN) - 2:09:08 (Osaka 2025)
Masashi Nonaka (Toyota) - 2:09:11 (Osaka 2024)
Hibiki Yoshida (Sunbelx) - 2:09:35 (Osaka 2026)

© 2026 Brett Larner, all rights reserved

Buy Me A Coffee

Comments

Anonymous said…
Just from analyzing the records from 2022 to 2025, the race temperature should be above 20 degrees making for a slow race. Results have indicated this with the fastest female winner in this period being Haruka Yamaguchi in 2022 in 2:29:52. For me, it makes little sense to participate in this event if you are seeking MGC qualification. From my understanding this is a G2 race, so the time required to qualify is 2:27 or better and you must finish top 3 of the Japanese entries. This is a tough ask given the history of the event and conditions. I would be surprised if anyone achieves this time standard even though on paper it looks easy. For Hitomi Niiya, given her excellent time in 2024 you would think it would be easy but given her age, run of injuries and recent form, I'm not convinced. I look forward to seeing how the results turn out.
Brett Larner said…
Hokkaido has the MGC qualifying times listed in the article, which are different from other G2 races given that it is run in hot conditions.
Anonymous said…
Hitomi Niiya, Arao, and Hibiki Yoshida!! Yoshida will make it interesting and hopefully Niiya can win
Anonymous said…
My mistake. I just looked at the field and didn't read the article closely enough. Apologies. Yes, you make very good points. I think it's a low bar if the qualification time is set to 2:32:00 even if the conditions are oppressive. I can't imagine Hitomi Niiya not qualifying nor a lot of others. She is currently in a training camp in the US with Rin Kubo so I'm sure it would take a very bad day for her to miss out. Mind you, Ayuko Suzuki won the Hokkaido Marathon in 2018 on debut in a relatively slow time of 2:28:32 to qualify for MGC and then go onto get a spot on the national team for the Tokyo Olympics so perhaps I'm being too harsh. Though I do recall the MGC race was in similarly hot conditions in Tokyo. This time, in Nagoya in Oct 2027 this won't be the case so I think its a matter of encouraging the Japanese athletes from competing domestically rather than abroad. As you said in the article.

Most-Read This Week

Everything You Need to Know About the 2026 Hakone Ekiden

The Hakone Ekiden is the world's biggest road race, 2 days of road relay action with Japan's 20 best university teams racing 10 half marathon-scale legs from central Tokyo to the mountains east of Mount Fuji and back. The level just keeps going higher and higher , hitting the point this year where there are teams with 10-runner averages of 13:33.10 for 5000 m, 27:55.98 for 10000 m, and 1:01:20 for the half marathon. It's never been better, and with great weather in the forecast it's safe to say this could be one of the best races in Hakone's 102-year history, especially on Day One. If you've seen it then you know NTV's live broadcast is the best sports broadcast in the world, with the pre-race show kicking off at 7:00 a.m. Japan time on the 2nd and 3rd and the race starting at 8:00 a.m. sharp. If you've got a VPN you should be able to watch it on TVer starting at 7:50 a.m. on the 2nd , and again at 7:50 a.m. on the 3rd . There's even a 2-hour high...

Federation Tells World Championships Marathoner Horibata To Go On Diet

http://hochi.yomiuri.co.jp/sports/etc/news/20110307-OHT1T00258.htm translated by Brett Larner Having made the 2011 World Championships marathon team by running a PB of 2:09:25 to come in 3rd overall and as the top Japanese finisher at the Mar. 6 Lake Biwa Mainichi Marathon, Hiroyuki Horibata (24, Team Asahi Kasei), talked to the media at Osaka Airport on Mar. 7. Following Sunday's race Rikuren director Keisuke Sawaki , 67, told Horibata, "Let's cut things down a bit until the World Championships," directing him to go on a diet. The 189 cm Horibata weighs 72 kg [~6'3", 160 lbs]. When he joined Team Asahi Kasei in 2005 at age 18 he weighed 65 kg, and this weight is still generally listed on his profile at races and in the media. "For some reason it never changes," he said with a grin. His coach Takeshi Soh , 58, commented, "If he was hungrier for glory his world would change completely," slapping the 'heavyweight division runner...

My Training for 1:00:44

Hi, I'm Ayumu Kobayashi . Today I'm going to write about this year's National Corporate Half Marathon and the training I did for it. I hope other runners will find it even a little bit helpful. At the Corporate Half on Feb. 13 I was 10th in 1:00:44. My goal had been to run 61 minutes, so I hit that target. My Training Menu In January I ran a total of 681 km. Key workouts: Jan. 11: 1000 m x 5 at 2:50/km Jan. 12: 22.5 km Jan. 15: 9 km variable pace Jan. 17: 25 km Jan. 24: 1000 m x 8 at 2:52/km Jan. 27: 1 km + 4 km + 2 km Jan. 30: 16 km at 3:18/km avg. In January I was tired from the New Year Ekiden and had some knee pain after it, so I just jogged for 10 days until I started doing workouts again on the 11th. That's why I only ran 681 km for the month. But even on the jog days I was aware that I had the Corporate Half coming up, so I was doing around 30 km. It's pretty meat and potatoes, but I think it was really important. February (training for the 10 days before...