Skip to main content

Yuka Suzuki Leaves Daiichi Seimei to Join Husband Akira Akasaki at Kraftia


The top Japanese finisher in the 2024 Paris Olympics women's marathon at 6th, Yuka Suzuki, 26, announced this week on her social media that she has left the Daiichi Seimei corporate team to transfer to Kraftia. "I'm really grateful to everyone who's helped me get where I am, and I know it's a level not everyone can get to," she wrote.

Suzuki joined Daiichi Seimei in 2022 after graduating from Daito Bunka University. "The last few years I came to realize how incredible the fan support is in the corporate leagues and at the Olympics," she wrote. "My memories of the MGC Race and Paris Olympics really stand out. Even when the weather wasn't great or the race was far away there were always people there to cheer for me. That's not something you should take for granted, and I want to take the time to put my thanks to all of you into words."

Talking about what comes next, Suzuki wrote, "I had a lot of options, and I wanted to be in an environment where I could experience new training and coaching methods to help me reach my goal of competing globally alongside my husband. There were other things too, but I've made up my mind on this."

In June Suzuki married Akira Akasaki, 6th-placer in the men's marathon in Paris. As part of her announcement this week she said she would be changing her name to Yuka Akasaki after transferring, saying, "A lot of couples struggle with being located in different places, but I've decided that this is the time to take this step to be together. I'm fully committed to this route forward, and I will make it the right one."

Translator's note: 1991 Tokyo World Championships women's marathon silver medalist Sachiko Yamashita stepped down as head of Daiichi Seimei in October. She had played a key role in getting Suzuki, the collegiate marathon national record holder, to the team after her graduation. Daiichi Seimei was 15th of 24 teams at last month's Queens Ekiden national championship, while Kraftia finished last.


Comments

Anonymous said…
This goes some way in explaining her absence at the Queen's Ekiden. I hope she has greater success than Ichiyama Mao when she moved from Wacoal to Shiseido not long after her marriage.

Also I'm curious about Kokai Haruka's absence from the Daichii Seimei team at the Queen's Ekiden. Is she injured, out of form or also on the move to a different team after Sachiko Yamashita stepped down as head?

Most-Read This Week

Asian Games Preview - Entries, Timetable and Live Results

Back in Japan for the first time in 32 years and representing 60% of the world's population, with more athletes competing across all sports than at the Olympics, the Aichi-Nagoya Asian Games are already underway. Athletics competition starts tomorrow and runs through Tuesday the 29th. Some of the biggest names on the entry list include: Rumesh Tharanga Pathirage (SRI) - men's javelin throw - 2026 World Ultimate Championships gold and 2026 Diamond League champion Haruka Kitaguchi (JPN) - women's javelin throw - 2026 World Ultimate Championships and 2024 Paris Olympics gold Birhanu Balew (BRN) - men's 5000 m/10000 m - 2026 Diamond League 5000 m champion Sanghyeok Woo (KOR) - men's high jump - 2025 Tokyo World Championships silver Hayato Katsuki (JPN) - men's marathon race walk - 2025 Tokyo World Championships bronze Abderrahman Samba (QAT) - men's 400 mH - 2025 Tokyo World Championships bronze Jiale Zhang (CHN) - women's hammer throw - 2025 Tokyo W...

Endo, Nishikawa and Yamakawa Announce Corporate Team Changes

The SG Holdings men's corporate team announced on Oct. 1 that long-distance athletes Hyuga Endo and Yuichiro Nishikawa have joined its roster after leaving the Sumitomo Denko team. Endo, 28, won the Junior Olympics 3000 m while at Koriyama Nishi J.H.S. before going on to Gakuho Ishikawa H.S. where he was the the top Japanese placer in the 5000 m at the National High School Championships 2 years in a row. After graduating from Gakuho Ishikawa he joined the Sumitomo Denko team, winning the National Championships 5000 m in 2021. He won gold at the 2023 Asian Championships and represented Japan at the 2022 and 2023 World Championships. "I will give everything I have as part of the team and work hard toward helping it win the New Year Ekiden," he said of his new environment. Of his personal goals he said, "I want to focus on the 5000 m and reach new levels to compete internationally." Nishikawa, 28, was a member of Tokai University 's winning teams at the H...

2 Athletes Provisionally Suspended After Positive Drug Tests at Asian Games

The International Testing Agency announced on Oct. 2 that provisional suspensions have been imposed on two athletes, Kazakhstan's Aiana Bolatbekkyzy in track and field, and Tajikistan's Issamjon Sharifov in tennis, after they tested positive for prohibited substances at the Asian Games in Nagoya, Aichi. Bolatbekkyzy, 19, tested positive for the steroid drostanolone in a sample collected during an in-competition test at the Games. A diuretic drug was found in the sample collected from Sharifov, 23. source article: https://www.sanspo.com/article/20261002-X4FJLT5MMZKFND6WXPOESAKETQ/ translated by Brett Larner