Skip to main content

Miura Breaks Own NR in Monaco

https://worldathletics.org/competitions/diamond-league/news/monaco-herculis-2025-lyles-wanyonyi-bol

Comments

Anonymous said…
Miura absolutely demolished his own NR.

I have been critical of the way Juntendo staff developed him after his 1st year and since he is still with the same staff I didn't think he could get this time by such a big margin.

He almost broke the NR a couple of months ago but then he struggled at some other races.
This time we saw the Miura we witnessed in his 1st year at Juntendo and in the first part of his second year.

Very good strategy during the race, not sure if on purpose but starting at the back, but with the pack scattered and in line had him able to keep a tight inside line for the first 1.5km and avoiding contacts and not having to run on outside lanes.
His form was under control most of the race and the last lap was a spectacular 58 seconds 400 that reminded me of his 1st year and half at Juntendo.

El Bakkali answered in amazing fashion after the last barrier, he is an olympics/world champion for a reason.

It's hard to convert steeplechase time to flat track time but Miura's 8.03 in the steeplechase could have translated to what on a 3000? Possibly around Osako's 3000 record or better? An intriguing thought I think.


Most-Read This Week

Australian YouTuber Handed Lifetime Ban by Ageo City Half Marathon After Running 1:06 with Another Runner's Bib (updated)

After discussion with their race's chief JAAF referee, on Nov. 27 the organizers of the Ageo City Half Marathon handed down a lifetime ban from their event against 36-year-old Australian Matt Inglis Fox  for running the Nov. 15 race wearing the bib number of another JAAF-registered runner. The incident came to light after Fox posted on his personal Instagram account that he had run a PB of 1:06:33 and finished 203rd in Ageo with a 10 km split of 31:03, along with photos and video of himself in the race wearing a bib number beginning with 11. Fox did not appear in the results by name or in that time or place, the closest match being a 1:06:54 gross, 1:06:50 net finish time with a 31:21 10 km split for 18th place in the JAAF-registered division and 209th overall by bib number 1129, registered to a non-Japanese Tokyo-resident club runner. The club runner, Harrisson Uk , readily confirmed that he had given his bib to Fox, saying, "I gave my number to Matt. It wasn't me."...

How it Happened

Ancient History I went to Wesleyan University, where the legend of four-time Boston Marathon champ and Wes alum Bill Rodgers hung heavy over the cross-country team. Inspired by Koichi Morishita and Young-Cho Hwang’s duel at the 1992 Barcelona Olympics I ran my first marathon in 1993, qualifying for Boston ’94 where Bill was kind enough to sign a star-struck 20-year-old me’s bib number at the expo. Three years later I moved to Japan for grad school, and through a long string of coincidences I came across a teenaged kid named Yuki Kawauchi down at my neighborhood track. I never imagined he’d become what he is, but right from the start there was just something different about him. After his 2:08:37 breakthrough at the 2011 Tokyo Marathon he called me up and asked me to help him get into races abroad. He’d finished 3rd on the brutal downhill Sixth Stage at the Hakone Ekiden, and given how he’d run the hills in the last 6 km at Tokyo ’11 I thought he’d do well at Boston or New York. “I...