Skip to main content

800 m NR Holder Ko Ochiai Heads to Komazawa University


Men's 800 m national record holder Ko Ochiai, 18, a 3rd-year at Shiga Gakuen H.S., will go to ekiden powerhouse Komazawa University after his graduation in March. Ochiai won this year's National Championships 800 m in June, and at July's National High School Championships he ran a 1:44.80 NR to win for the second year in a row. His time there was almost 1 second under the old record of 1:45.75 set by Sho Kawamoto in 2014 and equalled by Hiroki Minamoto in 2021. In August he became the first Japanese athlete to make a World U20 Championships 800 m final, winning bronze. Hope are high that he will continue to lead Japanese middle distance into new territory.

Ochiai's immediate goal is to make the Tokyo World Championships next year. After coming back from the World U20 Championships he told reporters, "I want to become someone who can make the final and go for a medal, not someone who is just targeting making the team." Regarding the 1:44.50 qualifying standard he confidently said, "The time has gotten faster, but I'm still targeting it. I'll break it and be on the starting line at Worlds."

Last year Komazawa University won the Hakone Ekiden to complete a sweep of all three 2022-2023 major university ekidens. With 29 wins across all three races it is the winningest school in history. "Right now I want to focus on the 800 m and 1500 m," Ochiai said. "But I've watched the Hakone Ekiden on TV since I was little and even though it's longer distance I really respect and admire it."

Ochiai's greatest strength is his desire to improve. At Nationals in June he beat previous NR holder Kawamoto by over a second to win, but having missed the Paris Olympics qualifying standard of 1:44.70 he hit the track with his hand in frustration right after finishing. After scoring bronze at U20 Worlds he said, "My goal was to win, so only getting bronze is a bit disappointing. I'm happy to have gotten a medal, but I've still got a long way to go before I'm really internationally competitive." Always looking forward, Ochiai's surprising choice to go to a long distance specialty program will have a lot of people tracking his progress.

Ko Ochiai - Born 17 Aug. 2006 in Takashima, Shiga. 18 years old, 165 cm. Started running track at Imazu J.H.S. Entered Shiga Gakuen H.S. in 2022. As a 1st-year he ran the 3.0 km Second Stage at the National High School Ekiden. Won the National High School Championships 800 m as a 2nd-year. Won the April, 2024 U20 Asian Championships his first month as a 3rd-year. In June he won the National Championships. In July he won the National High School Championships for the second year in a row with a 1:44.80 NR. In August he won bronze at the World U20 Championships. His 1500 m PB is 3:47.56.

source article:

Comments

Julien said…
Excellent news. I may misunderstand, but Komazawa University did not win the Hakone Ekiden last year. That's what the source article says, and I wonder why.
Brett Larner said…
Komazawa was the winner of the 2023 Hakone Ekiden. They were 2nd this year.

Most-Read This Week

Asian Games Preview - Entries, Timetable and Live Results

Back in Japan for the first time in 32 years and representing 60% of the world's population, with more athletes competing across all sports than at the Olympics, the Aichi-Nagoya Asian Games are already underway. Athletics competition starts tomorrow and runs through Tuesday the 29th. Some of the biggest names on the entry list include: Rumesh Tharanga Pathirage (SRI) - men's javelin throw - 2026 World Ultimate Championships gold and 2026 Diamond League champion Haruka Kitaguchi (JPN) - women's javelin throw - 2026 World Ultimate Championships and 2024 Paris Olympics gold Birhanu Balew (BRN) - men's 5000 m/10000 m - 2026 Diamond League 5000 m champion Sanghyeok Woo (KOR) - men's high jump - 2025 Tokyo World Championships silver Hayato Katsuki (JPN) - men's marathon race walk - 2025 Tokyo World Championships bronze Abderrahman Samba (QAT) - men's 400 mH - 2025 Tokyo World Championships bronze Jiale Zhang (CHN) - women's hammer throw - 2025 Tokyo W...

Endo, Nishikawa and Yamakawa Announce Corporate Team Changes

The SG Holdings men's corporate team announced on Oct. 1 that long-distance athletes Hyuga Endo and Yuichiro Nishikawa have joined its roster after leaving the Sumitomo Denko team. Endo, 28, won the Junior Olympics 3000 m while at Koriyama Nishi J.H.S. before going on to Gakuho Ishikawa H.S. where he was the the top Japanese placer in the 5000 m at the National High School Championships 2 years in a row. After graduating from Gakuho Ishikawa he joined the Sumitomo Denko team, winning the National Championships 5000 m in 2021. He won gold at the 2023 Asian Championships and represented Japan at the 2022 and 2023 World Championships. "I will give everything I have as part of the team and work hard toward helping it win the New Year Ekiden," he said of his new environment. Of his personal goals he said, "I want to focus on the 5000 m and reach new levels to compete internationally." Nishikawa, 28, was a member of Tokai University 's winning teams at the H...

2 Athletes Provisionally Suspended After Positive Drug Tests at Asian Games

The International Testing Agency announced on Oct. 2 that provisional suspensions have been imposed on two athletes, Kazakhstan's Aiana Bolatbekkyzy in track and field, and Tajikistan's Issamjon Sharifov in tennis, after they tested positive for prohibited substances at the Asian Games in Nagoya, Aichi. Bolatbekkyzy, 19, tested positive for the steroid drostanolone in a sample collected during an in-competition test at the Games. A diuretic drug was found in the sample collected from Sharifov, 23. source article: https://www.sanspo.com/article/20261002-X4FJLT5MMZKFND6WXPOESAKETQ/ translated by Brett Larner